Thread: Questions on Sabian AAX Limited Edition Cymbal Pack

User Info Menu

Default Questions on Sabian AAX Limited Edition Cymbal Pack

I'm thinking of upgrading my cymbals to the Sabian AAX Limited Edition cymbal pack and I would like to purchase them as soon as possible. I do not have a local store that carries these, so it is not possible for me to listen to them in person. After doing a good bit of research online, these appear to be what I am looking for and I have seen many more positive reviews on these cymbals than negative reviews, which were only a very few.

It shows that this pack comes with the following cymbals in brilliant finish:

14" AAX Stage hi-hats
    16" AAXplosion crash
    21" AAX Stage ride
    Free 18" AAXplosion crash

I have also seen a similar pack with a 20" AAX Stage ride in place of the 21" that is included in this pack, all other cymbals being the same. Many of the reviews that I read on the 20" AAX Stage ride were to the effect that the cymbal has way too much wash to be a ride cymbal only...more of a crash/ride (which is not quite what I was looking for), and that it was too "gong" sounding. I also read reviews where it was stated that the 20" was a good overall ride cymbal and it compliments the pack perfectly...not sure what to believe. In researching the 21" AAX Stage ride, I watched a demo video of this pack from Guitar Center. It was stated in the video that the 21" would not serve well as a crash/ride and it was suited more for a ride only with less wash and more ping. I'm thinking perhaps maybe just a bit darker of a sound than the 20". With this being said, can anyone comment on any experience with either one of these cymbals?

My other concern is the 14" AAX Stage hi-hats. I have listened to demos of them online, but computer speakers are only so good. The online demos that I heard sounded good. I believe the AAX Stage hats are medium top with a heavier bottom. If I am not mistaken the AAX-celerator hats and the AAX-plosion hats are both heavier than the Stage version. I am looking for something that does not have a "clunky" sound to it. I watched an AAX Stage hats specific video from Sabian where their representative referred to the "Stage" term being similar to a "rock" weight or heaviness, which is why I am concerned as to whether or not these hats will have that "clunky" sound to them. My very first set of cymbals was a Zildjian ZBT Rock pack and they were "clunky" sounding and I hated them like you wouldn't believe! I want to be sure I'm not going to have the same issue with the AAX Stage hats and other cymbals in this pack. Anyone have any experience with these hats that could provide any insight?

Any comments/thoughts would be appreciated. And the quicker the better because I really want to get them as soon as possible if they are what I'm looking for!

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Questions on Sabian AAX Limited Edition Cymbal Pack

First off, I've never played an AAX cymbal. But I do know quite a bit about them. The stage hats give off a "chick" sound. If you're looking for tight loud hi hats, these are for you. I've done my research on the 21" ride. I use a 21" HH ride. And the stick definition is unbelievable. You can crash the AAX ride too. From what I saw, the bell isn't very big.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Hey streetmachine79. Welcome to DC. AAX is in my arsenal and I have the 20" AAX stage ride. Agree with what some have said about it being too gongy. In my humble opinion, it has a ugly roar when played hard and with a fast bpm. The 20" AAX stage ride is delegated to band practice only.

As far as 14" AAX hats...big thumbs up. Been very happy with the AAX 14" fast hats. It has a tight "chick" sound....very loud when played open. Here's the AAX's without any ink. Wiped the logos off since a few had them and some didn't.

Don't own any AAXplosion crashes but do own the 16" 18" crash cymbals in the HHXplosion line. Give them another big thumbs up! Great burst of sound as labeled with a quick decay. Great to ride wash both the 16" and 18" HHXplosions.

The HHX cymbals were purchased as a package which included at the time, 14" HHX stage hats, 14" HHXplosion crash, 16" HHXplosion crash, 20" HHX stage ride, free 10" HHX splash and a free 18" HHXplosion crash. The local music store was willing to deal with me so swapped out the 14" HHX stage hats for a set of 14" Xcellerator hats when the pack arrived.

Really like the HHX line for blues and classic rock stuff; darker than the AAX line in my opinion. The Xcellerator hats also have an amazing sounding chick due to the wavy bottom cymbal. Very similar design and concept as Zildjian's MasterSound and Paiste's SoundEdge hats. Also dig the sound of the wavy bottom when the hats are played open and sloshy....

Last edited by late8; 12-02-2014 at 10:16 AM.

User Info Menu

I've had both the AAX Stage and AAX X-Plosion hats. The Stage's were an all around good set. They do everything well but personally after playing them a while their appeal to me was gone. They have little "personality".

The AAX-Plosion hats are the ones I've always wanted. Super crisp and bright, great definition and they have so many different sounds baked into them I never get tired of playing them. I've bought a cymbal pack before. But I regret doing it because I like to hand select all my cymbals. It's just how I am.

User Info Menu

I have a couple of AAXs and no complaints. Great all around cymbal

User Info Menu

Next I'm looking to get AAXcelerator hi hats for the heavy tight sound. Or the freq hats.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Thumbs down Re: Questions on Sabian AAX Limited Edition Cymbal Pack

Thanks everyone for the replies! Please keep 'em coming!

I wish I could afford to purchase everything separately and be able to listen to each cymbal individually, unfortunately my budget doesn't really allow it to purchase them separately and my closest dealer is Guitar Center which is about 90 miles away.

From the sounds of it, this AAX set is a good cymbal pack. I've had Zildjian ZBT rock cymbals in the past (which I hated), as well as A Customs (which I found to be heavier and a bit clunky on the hi-hats, and Paiste PST8's which were actually not bad. I'm sure the AAX set is an upgrade to all the others that I mentioned except for maybe the A Customs, which would be a close counterpart to the AAX's.

Embalmer.... On the AAX stage hats that you had...would you say they were similar to a "medium" set of hats? I know the AAX's are advertised as explosive and loud, but I don't want anything too heavy or super loud as far as the hats are concerned (basically the same with the ride in not really wanting something too washy). I wish I could afford the HHX pack, but the AAX's seem to be a great quality cymbal with affordable pricing.

Thanks! ...and keep the comments coming!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by streetmachine79 View Post
    I wish I could afford to purchase everything separately and be able to listen to each cymbal individually, unfortunately my budget doesn't really allow it to purchase them separately and my closest dealer is Guitar Center which is about 90 miles away.
    If I had purchased my HHX line separately, I could not have afforded these great cymbals. Whenever I see the word FREE attached to a pre-selected cymbal pack, I'll look. Sabian sonically matches their packs so I had full confidence on each cymbal matching with each other. I found a great deal last year and I haven't seen this price again anywhere:

Was $899- (now $1,099)
    HHX Super Cymbal Pack

B20 'cast' bronze (80% copper with silver, 20% tin)
    Sonically Matched
    Set contents:
    14" X-Celerator hi-hats
    14" and 16" Xplosion crashes
    20" Stage ride
    Free 18" Xplosion crash
    Free 10" Splash

User Info Menu

I haven't played the AAX Stage hats but I've played the HHX Stage version and those were very nice. They were pretty heavy, but didn't sound clangy at all. They were definitely very cutting though.

The 20" AAX Stage ride is probably not what you are looking for if you want a very clear stick sound.

The AAXPlosion crashes are very nice and will work for almost anything you play.

If you can't afford buying every cymbal separately, consider buying them used. Chheck Craigslist for good deals locally. Also consider Sabian SR2 as some websites have recordings of each individual cymbal for sale there, and some of them may have been AAX originally.

User Info Menu

I have the limited edition AAX pack, and am very happy with all the cymbals. The high hats are especially nice.