Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ludwig atlas arch / mounts

User Info Menu

Default Re: ludwig atlas arch / mounts

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Ok...now I understand what helps with the beautiful tones from Yamaha drums. The YESS mounting system.

Yea...but I came to find that it didn't work too well on the 14" hanging tom of the Birch Custom Absolutes is have . I put on a RIMS mount in place of the YESS and that drum has more life and umph than before . I thought of putting an Atlas mount but the Yamahas only use one screw on the lugs . For the Atlas to be effective I would need to drill one more hole...didn't want to do that !
    Rudy .

User Info Menu

The Atlas mounts work so good that I retro fitted them on to my 3 ply '72 Ludwigs . I'll be getting a few more and mounting the ride off of the bass drum and one off of the floor tom leg . The less cymbal stands I have to carry the better !
    Rudy .

[IMG][/IMG]

User Info Menu

^Very beautiful kit! Please update this thread when the Atlas mounts for the floor tom/ride cymbal arrives. I'm curious to see if GeeDeeEmm is right concerning collateral vibrations not affecting the floor tom or the ride....thanks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    ^Very beautiful kit! Please update this thread when the Atlas mounts for the floor tom/ride cymbal arrives. I'm curious to see if GeeDeeEmm is right concerning collateral vibrations not affecting the floor tom or the ride....thanks!
    Well I have already done that set up . Thing is I'm really bad at not taking pictures of things..even tho I have a smartphone that has a camera with me all the time ! LOL . I would have had a picture to show you of that set up .
    Vibrations do not affect the ride cymbal or the tom when set up like that . I've done a few gigs on the small set like that . I had a 20" Medium Ride off of the bass drum and a 18" Medium Crash off of the floor tom leg . I'm convinced that it's the way to go for me with the purple kit .
    I had to put a lot of work into that kit to get it gig ready . I had to reglue all the reinforcement rings . Then I had to recut the bearing edges by hand . It had no bass drum spurs and the tom mount was broken , so I had to replace those . The mounts on the toms didn't have the wing nuts or I bolts . And the tom holder was from Tama so it didn't fit as they are inch and an eighth instead of one inch . But all that hard work and time was worth it because these things sound fantastic !
    Rudy .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    Well I have already done that set up . Thing is I'm really bad at not taking pictures of things..even tho I have a smartphone that has a camera with me all the time ! LOL . I would have had a picture to show you of that set up .
    Vibrations do not affect the ride cymbal or the tom when set up like that . I've done a few gigs on the small set like that . I had a 20" Medium Ride off of the bass drum and a 18" Medium Crash off of the floor tom leg . I'm convinced that it's the way to go for me with the purple kit .
    I had to put a lot of work into that kit to get it gig ready . I had to reglue all the reinforcement rings . Then I had to recut the bearing edges by hand . It had no bass drum spurs and the tom mount was broken , so I had to replace those . The mounts on the toms didn't have the wing nuts or I bolts . And the tom holder was from Tama so it didn't fit as they are inch and an eighth instead of one inch . But all that hard work and time was worth it because these things sound fantastic !
    Rudy .
    Wow...by looking at that kit, you'd never think it was that sparse on parts before you restored it...and thanks for chiming in on the floor tom cymbal mount.

User Info Menu

I like the clean look of almost virtually no stands. Pretty neat.

User Info Menu

Yea...but I came to find that it didn't work too well on the 14" hanging tom of the Birch Custom Absolutes is have . I put on a RIMS mount in place of the YESS and that drum has more life and umph than before . I thought of putting an Atlas mount but the Yamahas only use one screw on the lugs . For the Atlas to be effective I would need to drill one more hole...didn't want to do that !
    Rudy .
    I had precisely the same experience with my old Maple Custom Absolute kit. RIMS/Gauger mounts work!

As for the Atlas hardware, I have a Whitney kit, so multiclamps are my friends and minimalism is my goal. I also still own a Ludwig Classic Maple kit. In my opinion traditional drum shells are just too heavy to mount by a single lug. Either the lug will fail, as I had happen on a snare drum ages ago, or the shell could eventually warp out of round. Like dangermoney, I just used my modern Yamaha hardware and was happy.

When it comes to selecting hardware and positioning, it really is a case-by-case basis of what it is that you're trying to mount and where you're trying to put it. I like to try and position my stuff so that it's not only where I want it, but equally balanced and as light as possible.
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

I'm not sure I have any pictures that really show how I set up my kits, but I gig several times a week with two different kits that use the Atlas stuff. I have a Ludwig Classic Maple kit, 18" kick, 12 rack, 14 FT. On that set, I have an Arch mount, holding the tom and 2 Atlas arms. One holds a crash, the other holds a 20" ride. The floor tom has an Atlas arm holding another crash.

My other kit has an Atlas arm on the bass spur holding the ride, a second one from the other side leg holds cowbell, and I have an atlas mount on top holding additional cymbal arms if I want them. Also have an arm riding a floor tom leg for a crash or second ride. I do use a cymbal stand with this set, that holds the tom and 2 cymbals.

I use triggers on both kits, which would be troublesome if the Atlas stuff wasn't so good at isolation.

I've been really happy with Atlas stuff so far. Definitely worth checking out. Setup and teardown is a little quicker than with stands or a rack, but I also have a pretty small set. The lack of stands really keeps the floor open. A big plus for small stages.

User Info Menu

In my opinion, I don't care for anything that attaches to the bass drum hoop. Tried the cowbell on the hoop and hated it but to put the entire weight of a ride and the boom arm on the hoop?? Really??? The added tension needed to keep the cowbell secure caused the batter hoop on the kick to de-tune...also lost a lot of resonance on the kick due to the weight of the clamp and cowbell. The pressure on the hoop may cause it to go out-of-round?

[/QUOTE]

I agree with the above comments about the bass hoop. In fact, I KNOW added weight on the hoop will distort the hoop, and distort the sound.
    Yamaha Stage Custom 6 pc
    Assorted Zildjian
    Gibraltar hardware
    Zildjian laminate sticks
    LOTS of snares
    AQUARIAN heads

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by metallitroy View Post
    In my opinion, I don't care for anything that attaches to the bass drum hoop. Tried the cowbell on the hoop and hated it but to put the entire weight of a ride and the boom arm on the hoop?? Really??? The added tension needed to keep the cowbell secure caused the batter hoop on the kick to de-tune...also lost a lot of resonance on the kick due to the weight of the clamp and cowbell. The pressure on the hoop may cause it to go out-of-round?

I agree with the above comments about the bass hoop. In fact, I KNOW added weight on the hoop will distort the hoop, and distort the sound.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you on attaching things on the bass drum hoop . But I must clear up one thing . If you are referring to what you are seeing in the picture I assure you it is NOT ATTACHED to the bass drum hoop ! It is attached to the shell at the same point that the tuning lug is . It has simply replaced the lug . Please refer to the earlier pictures where they show this in a side view .

User Info Menu

This is the side view of what you guys are seeing the front view of . From the front it does look like it's attached to the bass drum hoop...but as you can clearly see it is not .
    We now return you to your regularly scheduled program....

[IMG][/IMG]

User Info Menu

I love the clean look................with minimal stands.

User Info Menu

Jedi wrote:
    "I agree with you on attaching things on the bass drum hoop . But I must clear up one thing . If you are referring to what you are seeing in the picture I assure you it is NOT ATTACHED to the bass drum hoop ! It is attached to the shell at the same point that the tuning lug is . It has simply replaced the lug . Please refer to the earlier pictures where they show this in a side view ."

Jedi, I'm so glad that you pointed this out. There has been post after post on this thread decrying the Atlas hardware's use of the BD hoop. But the Atlas mounting system in no way utilizes the BD hoop as a load bearing surface!
    Every load bearing component of the system is attached to the shell only.

By the way, I love the way you incorporated the Atlas system on your Ludwig Classic kit - which looks beautiful in black! But, you neglected one important thing - we can't see the badges! How about moving those mounting lugs around so that the badges face the front when the toms are mounted on the BD? My OCD is going to give me fits until you correct this!

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    Jedi wrote:
    "I agree with you on attaching things on the bass drum hoop . But I must clear up one thing . If you are referring to what you are seeing in the picture I assure you it is NOT ATTACHED to the bass drum hoop ! It is attached to the shell at the same point that the tuning lug is . It has simply replaced the lug . Please refer to the earlier pictures where they show this in a side view ."

Jedi, I'm so glad that you pointed this out. There has been post after post on this thread decrying the Atlas hardware's use of the BD hoop. But the Atlas mounting system in no way utilizes the BD hoop as a load bearing surface!
    Every load bearing component of the system is attached to the shell only.

By the way, I love the way you incorporated the Atlas system on your Ludwig Classic kit - which looks beautiful in black! But, you neglected one important thing - we can't see the badges! How about moving those mounting lugs around so that the badges face the front when the toms are mounted on the BD? My OCD is going to give me fits until you correct this!

GeeDeeEmm

LOL . Well the thing is the drums were originally equipped with the then Ludwig Modular tom mounts . There are some BIG holes drilled into that drum . With the RIMS mounts you could place the plate over the original spot and somewhat cover the holes but still have the badge showing like it should . The Atlas mounts won't cover anything ! So I had to placed the mounts in a manner in which the holes would be facing me , away from the audience . But then that also put the badges facing me . So I have to chose whether I want the badges and mounting holes facing forward or just the plain shell . So I went with the latter .
    Rudy .

[IMG][/IMG]

User Info Menu

LOL . Well the thing is the drums were originally equipped with the then Ludwig Modular tom mounts . There are some BIG holes drilled into that drum . With the RIMS mounts you could place the plate over the original spot and somewhat cover the holes but still have the badge showing like it should . The Atlas mounts won't cover anything ! So I had to placed the mounts in a manner in which the holes would be facing me , away from the audience . But then that also put the badges facing me . So I have to chose whether I want the badges and mounting holes facing forward or just the plain shell . So I went with the latter .
    Rudy .

[IMG][/IMG]

I see. I couldn't see the old mounting holes in your pics, so assumed they were not drilled. Somebody needs to come up with a nicely-designed plate to cover those old Ludwig modular mtg holes. Lot's of Ludwig owners would be grateful.

GeeDeeEmm