Thread: FXseries Snare port by kickport

scottyp is offline Senior Member (Respected Chatter)

User Info Menu

Default FXseries Snare port by kickport

Here's another review I made of the FXseries port for the snare batter head.

This thing completely blew me away. My snare has never been so loud, and the attack is crazy..

Its not for everyone, I like minimal overtones on my snare, but you also have to realize I used a VERY dry head for this video (STdry dual ply) I'll do another with a more open head next time.

Either way. you can hear for yourself how awesome it is

User Info Menu

Default Re: FXseries Snare port by kickport

Thanks for posting that. I like a dry sound also............but still wary about cutting a hole in my batter head.

Sounds great

User Info Menu

I really love how much it opened up the clarity of the snare. My question though is longevity... I once ported a bassdrum head hole and it wasn't perfectly smooth apparently and during a practice it ripped and the blew open. Now the bass drum head I keep looser but my snare drum head I keep pretty tight. This makes for a small concern about the snare drum head breaking open then when I'm playing if the port cuts aren't perfect.

User Info Menu

I'm wearing of cutting a hole in my snare heads too. I'd think the tighter tension would be more likely to tear.

I do like the effect though, although you prefer a much drier sound than I do.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I really love how much it opened up the clarity of the snare. My question though is longevity... I once ported a bassdrum head hole and it wasn't perfectly smooth apparently and during a practice it ripped and the blew open. Now the bass drum head I keep looser but my snare drum head I keep pretty tight. This makes for a small concern about the snare drum head breaking open then when I'm playing if the port cuts aren't perfect.
    You need to remember that the hole is reinforced. It's likely the most durable part of the head with the reinforcement rings added.

I would like to hear this on a normal single-ply unmuffled head. Starting with an overly dry head is not what I would want for my playing.

User Info Menu

That will me my next test.. this was a dry head to begin with... the most dry head really. STdry dual ply coated haha.

the 3M rings are REALLY strong.

Me, and several of my bandmates have had a ton of whacks at this head. it feels solid as a rock.. I'm going to use it for jam for a while as I have no shows on the horizon for a few months but its going to last.

You put the 3M rings on BOTH sides BEFORE cutting..... I'd recommend a single ply, so both 3M rings are on the same ply if your worried but I'll never have another snare without.

User Info Menu

I'd love it if you keep us updated for sure on longevity.

User Info Menu

You bet.. Had a surgery a few weeks back so I'm taking it easy for another week... but I'll keep you posted.

I play in 2 bands.. ones a fast skate punk band.. the others an extreme tech/death metal band so it will get hit..

I jam at least 2 times a week with shows quite often. right now were writing so it might be a month or 2 before we play live.

I jam quite a bit and let my friends hit the drums too so it will see everything. I have 0 worry about how its going to hold out

User Info Menu

I love gadgets so I wanted to try this little thing. I will say it looks really goofy having a hole in your snare head, but here's what it did to the sound: If I ever had occasion for moongel, this eliminated that. No need for any kind of dampening or overtone control with this on the head. In addition, the sound of the snares is much more apparent. Seems more sensitive - more snare with ghost notes and lighter hits. Also really brought out the fullness and body of the snare.

Honestly, I didn't expect this to do too much but since it was only $15 I figured I could have a little fun with it and then go back to my regular setup. But, funny looking hole and all, this gadget noticeably improved the sound of my snare. I'll qualify that by saying that's from behind the kit with the port pointed right at my face. It also made a noticeable difference mic'd. Out in front of the kit un-mic'd, I can't say if there's a difference or not, I haven't heard it myself yet.

So does it work? Yes, it sure does. It's not s necessary piece of equipment but if you like to play around with different heads and tuning like I do, this is a fun thing to try out.
    Last edited by G-man; 01-20-2015 at 06:23 PM.

User Info Menu

I thought this was the stupidest looking thing I had seen yet. Well label me educated. Thx for the posts, I never would have tried it myself. Now I can at least tell people I've heard good things.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

Ya its not for everyone. I love a snare that doesn't have too much ping to it. It also made the volume quit a bit louder for my playing.

I have one in each of my 3 main snares now.. I won't be without one.. They look "different" but it sure gets people talking.

User Info Menu

I have it on my 8x14 mahogany snare since I think it made it sound a bit fuller which is what I'm looking for in that snare. Didn't put one on my Supraphonic because who would want to modify the sound of a Supra?

User Info Menu

I agree.. There is a time and place for it. Single mic situations, or if you want more volume with no mics this thing turns your snare into a gunshot.

if you like overtones and alot of ping, maybe not for you.. They are pretty cheap though. and I love to tinker, so why not try all the toys

User Info Menu

met a drummer he had one of these on EVERY drum.. including his toms

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by scottyp View Post
    I agree.. There is a time and place for it. Single mic situations, or if you want more volume with no mics this thing turns your snare into a gunshot.

if you like overtones and alot of ping, maybe not for you.. They are pretty cheap though. and I love to tinker, so why not try all the toys
    I'm currently smacking a 14x8 nickel over brass, so I have me a gunshot Call me old fashioned, but I put holes in drum heads with my sticks.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass