Thread: Recording problems again

Shazane Guest

Default Recording problems again

I have two crappy microphones and a mixer, how could I use them to record in a way that my drums do not sound like cardboard? I've positioned one right in front of the bass drum, but it doesnt pick up the tone of it whatsoever.

User Info Menu

Does your reso have a mic port?
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

Shazane Guest

No. I tried it with the reso head off entirely and way inside it, sounded just the same, could it be different with a port?

And these mics REALLY suck, they're worth about $20 together, I need to know if it's even possible to get a half decent sound out of them.
    Last edited by Shazane; 10-14-2007 at 09:11 PM.

User Info Menu

Well the actual mics could be a problem if they are as bad as you say, but a reso with a port would make a big difference for sure.
    What kind of sound are you getting in the recordings?

User Info Menu

The mics are a HUGE problem - you need to remember that these mics aren't desinged for that amount of air pressure - for the kick you HAVE to really use the right sort of mic - the companies don't make them for marketing or as a gimick. Fair enough use any old mic you want as overheads, and even on toms you can get away with it, but for the kick it's a big problem. First, without the port hole in the reso head, you actually need TWO mics to get the right setup for your kick, one in front/reso (bullfrog type mic) and one in back/beater (SM57 type mic). Second even with the port head there is the issue of the part (i can't remember what it's called) that picks up the actual sound probably being damaged beyond all recognition by the amount of air pressure and volume of what it is trying to pick up - ESPECIALLY if it is a cheap mic. You know how a subwoofer works right? Think of your kick the same way. A good kick mic is any drummers best friend and worth every penny. I suggest you invest in one, then setup the crappy mics as overheads to pick up your cymbals and toms. They should do an OK job of that, unless they are too far damaged. Also an SM57 type mic can do a pretty decent job for your snare and if you positon it right you can get your snare and hi-hats running through it so you can pick up any intricate hi-hat work extra clearly too.

If you just don't have the funds, then just have your mics set up away from the kit as room mics - you'll be better off. At least that way they won't be picking up all the extra air form the kick coming straight at them, and basically ruining your sound ebcause they simply can't process it. On the off chance these were sold to you as kick mics - you were lied too. Now way at that price, even crappy ones second hand would still be more expensive than that. Unless they were damged in which case they are useles anyway.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Oh, also taking OFF the reso head entirely basically nullified any chance of getting any resonance - that's what it's there for. All you had was attack basically, no volume, nothing, just a thud, hence the cardboard sound.

If you are stuck as can be, I SUPPOSE you can set one up probably about 2 inches from the reso head, and the other about an inch from the beater head and try mixing that, that's about all you can do other than what I said above. The idea is that you are trying to get an amount of the ringing and booming from the resonant head, and then also getting an amount of the actual attack from the beater. You then mix the two on seperate channels until you have the type of sound you are after. You need to take into account the volume of each channel, comparitive to each other as well as the over all volume, as well as the EQ settings for each channel, so the High, Mid and Low tones, combined with the master EQ. With a port hole this is easier and achievable with only one mic, meaning one channel and one EQ setup, besides the master. Also if you had good quality mics, you could get away with a bit more too.

User Info Menu

You could always borrow a friend's mic too. Ask around and see if anyone's got a quality kick drum mic that you could borrow for a day or so.

User Info Menu

Eh, I still don't condone removing the reso completely, but it would be a good alternative to buying one with a port I suppose.

Shazane Guest

I was going to attach my best recording here but I only rendered it as a wav and it's way to big...

For everything but the bass I've got a pretty good setup, and really when it does work the bass sounds at least alot better than it did originally, but the new problem is that at high speeds the hits all blend together in the recording or else it doesn't pick them up at all. I dont know if a better mic would even correct that, or if its that my crappy pedals dont generate the power necessary to get volume at over 180 BPM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shazane View Post
    I was going to attach my best recording here but I only rendered it as a wav and it's way to big...

For everything but the bass I've got a pretty good setup, and really when it does work the bass sounds at least alot better than it did originally, but the new problem is that at high speeds the hits all blend together in the recording or else it doesn't pick them up at all. I dont know if a better mic would even correct that, or if its that my crappy pedals dont generate the power necessary to get volume at over 180 BPM.
    Do you have a mic on the beater side? A better quality mic would do the trick (how else to you think they do it for everyone else?) and as for power, well generally, that has more to do with your feet than the beaters, but maybe it has something to do with it. Are you able to use different beater heads? Or hire some pedals for recording purposes?

Shazane Guest

Quote Originally Posted by crazymanwithaplunger View Post
    Do you have a mic on the beater side? A better quality mic would do the trick (how else to you think they do it for everyone else?) and as for power, well generally, that has more to do with your feet than the beaters, but maybe it has something to do with it. Are you able to use different beater heads? Or hire some pedals for recording purposes?
    combining power and speed becomes nearly impossible, that's why Axis created the kind of beaters they have, they generate alot of power without much force, if I had some Axis pedals I'd be fine. Unfortunately we are trapped in a cycle here... we need better gear to record, we need money to get better gear, we need recordings to sell to get money...

User Info Menu

Or you could get a minimum wage kitchen duty job like myself lol.

User Info Menu

LOL Been there, done that 32HB!!!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!