Thread: train beat

User Info Menu

Default train beat

does anyone have the train beat written out from ballroom blitz from sweet. or Jim Riley's ex #2 from Feb 14 Modern Drummer mag. Having trouble with it.
    Thanks
    Conrad

User Info Menu

Default Re: train beat

Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I don't read music, but I had to comment on that beat. I learned it around 1975 or so. The song was fairly new, and it gave me a lot of grief. I ended up saying to myself "play the kick at the wrong time" thats how I learned it. I still like to play that beat, it's really cool. The kick doesn't seem wrong to me at all now. P.S. I also thought John Bonham didn't know how to play that drums right, on Black Dog. Lol.

User Info Menu

Thanks guys
    Conrad

User Info Menu

SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Thanks Slinlander
    Conrad

User Info Menu

Train beats are like double stroke rolls, played wrong by so many, and there are opinions aplenty. I play and am still learning to play them at times by leaving out the snare strike with every kick drum hit. Makes it 1000 times harder when adding different bass drum patterns, but I think it makes the beat sound a lot cleaner.
    Little Feat's drummer Ritchie Hayward was one of my favourite drummers for these types of beats. He had such a smooth cajon feel that went into them.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by signia fan View Post
    Train beats are like double stroke rolls, played wrong by so many, and there are opinions aplenty. I play and am still learning to play them at times by leaving out the snare strike with every kick drum hit. Makes it 1000 times harder when adding different bass drum patterns, but I think it makes the beat sound a lot cleaner.
    Little Feat's drummer Ritchie Hayward was one of my favourite drummers for these types of beats. He had such a smooth cajon feel that went into them.
    When you say "like double stroke rolls", do you mean RR LL? If so, I would say that while you certainly can play them that way, most drummers I've seen play it the way it shows in the video. Opens up the possibilities for the needed accents.

User Info Menu

Yea, no need to complicate an otherwise simple beat. Play it with singles and get that comfortable. Then swing it. Wholla!

User Info Menu

Nice video Slinglander. Thanks for sharing.

The video breaks it down very well. It can be very tricky at first, but keep it slow and simple as the video demonstrates.
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

That video is incredibly helpful, thank you slinglander.
    Wear hearing protection.

User Info Menu

I love playing the train beat or a variation of it. Took me a while to get comfortable with it but once I did, it seems really easy to me. Such a versatile beat and has tons of cool variations.

Tex

User Info Menu

I listened to that song the original last week. Never have tried playing it. Fun song and funny beginning when everyone says they're ready.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    When you say "like double stroke rolls", do you mean RR LL? If so, I would say that while you certainly can play them that way, most drummers I've seen play it the way it shows in the video. Opens up the possibilities for the needed accents.
    No, you misunderstood my reference.
    But yeah, playing a train beat using doubles would be a whole nother challenge.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

yeah no need to over complicate a simple beat like that.