Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FYI:last night's gig in York

User Info Menu

Thumbs down FYI:last night's gig in York

So the Elks informed us 2 days before the gig that our scheduled 8-11 PM gig was to be 7-10 PM instead. Bass player couldn't make the 7 PM time because of his work schedule(the reason we had picked the 8 PM start time a month ago when given the choice.) The lead guitar and wife, on keyboards, me on the cross-sticking played acoustic for about 45 min. until the bass arrived. Then we lead off with our set...and 15 min. into it we were told to quiet down. We followed up with Hendrix "Fire", etc. and 1/2 an hr. later, shortly after the photo, we were told to finish up with 2 songs and go home! We still had 45 min. to go and luckily we were paid up-front.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Default Re: FYI:last night's gig in York

Photo looks good. Did you guys really try to play quieter?

User Info Menu

damn that sucks! Sorry to hear!

User Info Menu

It's always good to have fun when your playing out but when things start falling apart it kind of takes the wind out of your sails, but look at the bright side you got paid and got to go home early

User Info Menu

We did try to play Hendrix' "Let me stand next to your .....heating pad," and Jeff Beck's " Going down....on our tip-toes!" I did switch to Regal Tip Jazz sticks and "pulled my crashes " so to speak. Guitars were turned down slightly. But we gave up when 4 people started dancing to "Sunshine of your love'" figuring people enjoyed us! Our band name is the Screamin' Melinas, after all...what part of Screamin means mellow?
    Last edited by slinglander; 12-06-2014 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Added comment
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT

User Info Menu

Sorry to hear that. Everyone has those gigs where something just doesn't work out.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Were you guys excused and told to go home early because it was too loud?

User Info Menu

I hate when someone says to "turn down". What do people think a "live band" is going to sound like?
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Turning down a live band is not the same as turning down a radio.

Should have told the ones complaining to turn down there hearing aids
    “I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”

User Info Menu

That sucks!! Oh well you got paid in full and they could of tried to nickel and dime you for the un-played 45 minutes.

User Info Menu

You know your really playing rock & roll when people say it's to loud!
    Keep on rockin!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    I hate when someone says to "turn down". What do people think a "live band" is going to sound like?
    I once played a gig in a smaller coffee shop type place and in between every song, the sound guy came over and said we were too loud. I switched to brushes and it was still too loud...I just stopped playing altogether and I think that made him happy. Never played there again

User Info Menu

That is so ridiculous live band too loud. How about a DJ they are usually pretty loud if you ask me. I have been in bars with DJs blaring away and man you come out of there your ears ringing. You don't hear anyone saying turn it down cause the DJ would tell you were to go.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PopsOldSkins View Post
    Should have told the ones complaining to turn down there hearing aids
    I love it!

Late8, yes, we more or less excused and told to go home early.
    Last edited by slinglander; 12-07-2014 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Added comment

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    That is so ridiculous live band too loud.

Ridiculous? Why does live have to equal obnoxious?

The mix is one of the most important parts of a performance and the overall volume is a big part of that mix.

I often hear bands that are too loud and it's generally based on the drums.

My bands play loud, full rock and roll in my living room thru 4 powered PA cabinets and it's never too loud. No one ever has ringing ears and the vocals are always clear and up front. The guitar player uses a Marshall and a Fender amp. I sit 8' away from a PA cabinet.
    Last edited by NewTricks; 12-07-2014 at 01:17 PM.

User Info Menu

Slinglander I'll be the first to ask.
    In all due respect too by the way.

Did you guys pretty much nail everything you did?
    Was the band locked into that needed groove together?
    Was the sound mix right? Did you guys suck? LL (?)

Last edited by Ray on the Drums; 12-07-2014 at 01:42 PM.

User Info Menu

Sorry to hear you guys were excused but at least you were paid
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    I love it!

Late8, yes, we more or less excused and told to go home early.
    Wow...glad you guys got paid up front. Played a small club last night. Same club as last weekend. We were told..."You guys were too loud and need to turn down".

Last night I played two sets on timbale sticks. Last set, the crowd got really rowdy so we cranked it up. The consumption of alcohol affects the hearing. It's been medically proven that the more alcohol one consumes, the less efficient the hearing becomes. Normal hearing will eventually return after the alcohol has gone through the body. The bass player and one of the guitar players drink beer between breaks. As the night progresses, the bass and guitar get louder. I start to play louder to match the loud dynamics and then all of a sudden the entire mix goes through the roof.

Went from timbale sticks to 7A and stopped pulling hits on the crash cymbals. In my humble opinion, it sounded so much better at full volume than trying to hush the guitar amps.

You probably already know this slinglander but those who don't, the "Golden Rule" about sound is you never utter the question to the people who hire "Are we too loud?" Wait for somebody to come up and tell you to turn down. Never ask the bartender or servers if the band's too loud. Instead, ask "Can you hear your orders?" If they can, life's good.

Watch people who are at the bar/club and if they have to lean into someone's ear to speak, you're too loud. Patrons don't mind loud music. It's the management of establishments who complain the loudest in my opinion.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NewTricks View Post
    Ridiculous? Why does live have to equal obnoxious?

The mix is one of the most important parts of a performance and the overall volume is a big part of that mix.

I often hear bands that are too loud and it's generally based on the drums.

My bands play loud, full rock and roll in my living room thru 4 powered PA cabinets and it's never too loud. No one ever has ringing ears and the vocals are always clear and up front. The guitar player uses a Marshall and a Fender amp. I sit 8' away from a PA cabinet.
    I think you misread my post man. I have nothing against loud live bands. I was basically saying that it is ridiculous that people would say live bands are loud while club with DJ's to me are a lot louder is acceptable. Maybe I misread your post. Either way sorry

User Info Menu

We were so loud last Thursday night that the video camera was shaking (see video in "What Band Do You Play For" thread).

You don't like how loud we play? Too bad. You knew what you were getting when you hired us. That's my take.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    You don't like how loud we play? Too bad. You knew what you were getting when you hired us. That's my take.
    ^This!!

User Info Menu

Changing your set time at such short notice probably didn't help matters much.

7 pm seems pretty early to start live music - here in the UK (unless its a multi-band all day special) generally the earliest time live music is performed in bars is around 9 pm. Otherwise the bars tend to be fairly empty - it also gives the patrons time to get a little 'relaxed' so they adjust to the increased volume more comfortably! As you started out playing acoustic (relatively quietly?) from the start maybe that set the venue owners/bar staff expectations for the evening with regards to volume - when your bass player arrived and you went into your regular set maybe it seemed loud in comparison.

I'd put this gig down to experience and not worry about it much. All part of life's rich tapestry.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ray on the Drums View Post
    Slinglander I'll be the first to ask.
    In all due respect too by the way.

Did you guys pretty much nail everything you did?
    Was the band locked into that needed groove together?
    Was the sound mix right? Did you guys suck? LL (?)
    Good one!
    We did six songs before the warning, 2 were originals we'd done for a couple years, last one was a Pink Floyd cover of "Breathe," not raucus by any means, not hard to play(almost boring for a drummer.)
    So after, we took a short break and the keyboard player(lead's wife) comes back from wandering thru the club and says the club generally likes blues- so we agreed to do some. We led off with "Red House", "Walkin' the Dog", "Going Down"(Jeff Beck), and segued into "Fire" via "Come Together"- all well rehearsed.
    Then came the final warning to do 2 songs and quit. I forgot to add, the same club officer that told us to stop was the same officer that changed the time on us.
    Also this was part of a "First Friday" downtown York event where some streets are closed at 5 PM for pedestrians to shop extended hours and stop in to hear music from various venues hiring bands for the evening. As we were loading our cars to leave I could hear another band playing a couple blocks away.
    Last edited by slinglander; 12-07-2014 at 03:11 PM. Reason: added comments

User Info Menu

Meh, blow it off and move on. Lesson learned about that specific club. Thank goodness you were paid up front.

Chances are they will be 100% DJ before long anyway. All live bands are somewhat loud, it's called energy and comes with live music.

Just my take.

Tex

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I think you misread my post man. I have nothing against loud live bands. I was basically saying that it is ridiculous that people would say live bands are loud while club with DJ's to me are a lot louder is acceptable. Maybe I misread your post. Either way sorry
    Maybe we both mis read. I like loud rock and roll but I hate music that is too loud. Either way, no need to apologize for anything.

It's also my observation that bands play loud to try and cover their mistakes.

And, I don't get out much but, DJ's are often too loud too.