Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hardware Colors - Opinions

User Info Menu

Default Hardware Colors - Opinions

I may have posted something like this previously, but can't find it, so here goes...

Considering finally going through with the DW Collectors all Cherry kit that I've been pondering for while now. I'm pretty well set on just a natural cherry finish, with gloss lacquer, which I think is both classic and classy. What I've been wrestling with is the hardware color. I could go with the base chrome. The color I like a lot is the upgraded nickel finish. Many would say there isn't much difference between chrome and nickel, but when you see them together, nickel has a much warmer patina, almost like a very slight hint of gold to it. The hardware of my Les Paul guitars is nickel, and this was the case for the '58-'60 Les Pauls, so they knew the difference back then. Lastly, the other alternative hardware color is gold. The gold is a spectacular color against natural cherry (witness the Mick Fleetwood kit), but I know that some feel that gold is 'too much bling'. When I had my custom Fodera bass built, I really debated between the black and gold hardware. On a bass, most folks feel that gold IS too 'blingy', but the natural chestnut top on the bass just felt like gold was 'needed'.

Then, of course, I could always do black nickel hardware, which I think is really cool, too. Any of the hardware colors outside chrome are the same upgrade price, so from that perspective, it doesn't matter which I choose. I am also aware that a lot of you will want to say that it's my choice, do what I want. Of course that is true, but I'm curious to see what you all think. It makes no difference to the drums...the colors don't affect the sound. But I'm curious what you think. Is there a natural bias, as in basses, against gold hardware? Or is it anything goes?
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

Default Re: Hardware Colors - Opinions

I have black nickel hardware on my black velvet finished maple/mahogany kit and am VERY pleased with how it looks.

The chrome looks great but I wanted something different, is all.

I don't like the gold hardware. A little too Liberace-ish for my tastes..not to mention the price!

You'll know when you see the correct colour for you.

Rich
    DW drums and Paiste cymbals.

User Info Menu

I personally dislike gold hardware on drums and even if money were no object it would put me off. On a snare maybe but its just too much for me on a complete set of drums. I also don't care for black coated hardware packs - I have seen too many where the black coating has chipped (probably by scratching together in hardware bags during loading unloading) and they can look very tatty pretty quickly.
    Nickel plating looks good to me - it looks like dark chrome (not too garish!) and doesn't seem to chip as readily as regular black coating - or if it does it isn't as noticeable.

User Info Menu

I disagree, I'm not by no means a great fan of gold,but some finishes just look right with gold.

User Info Menu

I'm partial to the black chrome/black nickel hardware seeing as that's what I have on my Superstars and I think it looks great!

I'm also not a fan of gold hardware unless it's on a very dark wood like bubinga. But hey, I'm not the one buying the drums. If it were me I'd go with regular chrome or black chrome but it's up to you in the end!

Just remember to post pics when you get them!
    Matt

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    I disagree, I'm not by no means a great fan of gold,but some finishes just look right with gold.
    I gotta agree with this, I think gold would look incredible on that cherry finish. Gold would look tacky on sparkle finishes and such but to my eye it goes perfectly with natural cherry.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I'd go traditional chrome or the nickel. Gold would go well with the finish, but it's too flashy for my taste. I'm not a fan of black, white or otherwise colored hardware.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Cherry lacquer with gold hardware would be amazing IMO. I'd so go for it.

User Info Menu

With the natural cherry gloss finish your going with, I think the gold hardware would look the best by far. The black would be to much contrast. I've seen a million cherry with chrome hardware kits, and the nickel hardware looks good as well, but with your shell color, the best match would be the gold hardware IMO.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

My personal opinion is that the gold hardware would look good with almost any dark colored shell pack in one solid color. Too much bling on the shells would add too much to the look of the entire kit and possibly take away from the gold.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Being that Ive got shiny brass hoops on my toms and shiny brass claws on my bass drum hoops on my Red Lacquered Oak Customs- - - I gotta recommend the "Gold Hardware".
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

I'm old school (as everyone here knows) so I'd go with the chrome............maybe the nickel. Your cymbal stands are going be chrome.
    I think any other decision runs the risk of getting something that might turn out to be a "fad" that I'd later regret.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I'd love a cool black chrome hardware package.

User Info Menu

Hard to beat chrome on cherry(or any other shell finish), it's one finish combination that is guaranteed to work well for years to come. However, if I was going to put black anything on it as far as hardware goes - i'd go with the powdercoat because it ends up darker. Powdercoats are pretty strong too, so I can't see them chipping with relative ease. And even if they did, re-application isn't that hard.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Hard to beat chrome on cherry(or any other shell finish), it's one finish combination that is guaranteed to work well for years to come.
    Chrome on cherry lacquer stain looks good in my opinion. I like the highlights chrome offers under bright lights or daylight.

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the thoughts, guys. If there are others who would like to chime in, I'd like to hear more opinions!
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

I would go with the chrome. Like Ricardo said, all of your other hardware is chrome. Not just that, but I really like the look of chrome on natural finishes.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I dislike gold as well. I think its a great eye-popping stage color for a touring kit, but otherwise its too flashy for me. Chrome is obviously the standard finish, which will look great with a natural cherry finish. Actually, I think both black nickel and the satin chrome will look great as well. Although Satin-Chrome is a matte finish if im not mistaken, it lacks that shine that chrome and black nickel have.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

I don't care for gold hardware on anything, and certainly wouldn't pay extra for it. Once the kit is set up with chrome stands the whole thing looks cheap

User Info Menu

Just not gold...........please!!!!!!!!!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Just not gold...........please!!!!!!!!!!!
    ok...how about some tree roots?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I'd choose it over gold every time.

User Info Menu

I concur with most of the others.................chrome would look the best IMO.............never been a fan of the gold hardware

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post

That looks bad a$$

User Info Menu

Amazing kit! Hat's off to the drum tech who thought that one up!
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments