Thread: Cobus Potgieter's performance & Drum workshop in Jakarta, Indonesia

User Info Menu

Default Cobus Potgieter's performance & Drum workshop in Jakarta, Indonesia

Hey guys,

Had a great time with Cobus who came to Jakarta, Indonesia last week for Sabian Day event. A super cool, talented, and very humble guy!
    Worth to note that the electricity in the venue was suddenly down when he was about to go on the stage, so he wasnt able to perform the playback/drum cover stuffs; which had been highly expected by approx 1,300 young drummers audience that time. Cobus started his performance with a 5 minutes open solo, which I think was very decent and entertaining, followed by Q&A, and shedding with other performers. The workshop lasts for about an hour and didnt prolonged, because Cobus wanted to spend more time with the audience who wanted to take selfie picture with him and had his signature. It was totally RAD! Here are some photos for your viewing pleasure. Cheers

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cobus Potgieter's performance & Drum workshop in Jakarta, Indonesia

User Info Menu

and he signed these too for me very cool!

User Info Menu

Thanks for the nice pictures. Too bad the electricity failed.

User Info Menu

Is there anything special to his method besides playing along to music? Cause if he's making money by telling people that...
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgziegler View Post
    Is there anything special to his method besides playing along to music? Cause if he's making money by telling people that...
    note sure on your intention in asking this..

All I know that he has inpired hundred thousands of drummers in this planet, if not millions. This may sound like exaggerating, but there is a clear proves that he has made a very significant positive contributions.

Thanks by the way

User Info Menu

Cool pics Michael and quite the experience of meeting Cobus in person. Sounds like a great drummer and down to earth kind of guy. Congrats

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgziegler View Post
    He's basically telling people that they can teach themselves to play drums.
    I can't fault him for what he's doing. A lot of drummers, including myself, have learned to play doing what he's "teaching".

I played along with everybody from The Ventures to The Dave Brubek Quartet, so I learned the drums using "the Cobus Method" probably before his father was born.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    note sure on your intention in asking this..

All I know that he has inpired hundred thousands of drummers in this planet, if not millions. This may sound like exaggerating, but there is a clear proves that he has made a very significant positive contributions.

Thanks by the way

Now to this side of the fence. I doubt that he has "inspired" hundreds of thousands of drummers to buy his "method", buy a set of drums, and go on their merry way.

At the same time, what he's doing is showing "you" that you can learn to play without formal training.

So what he's doing is a positive thing because if it were a negative thing, it would mean that all the drummers out there that didn't take lessons are not really drummers. We just play beats, but we really don't know what we are doing.

As to whether it's "significant" or not, only time will tell.

User Info Menu

All I know that he has inpired hundred thousands of drummers in this planet, if not millions.
    Cool pics Michael. Looks like everybody had a great time. First time I've ever heard of this guy...thanks for highlighting his contributions to your event.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    He's basically telling people that they can teach themselves to play drums.
    I can't fault him for what he's doing. A lot of drummers, including myself, have learned to play doing what he's "teaching".

I played along with everybody from The Ventures to The Dave Brubek Quartet, so I learned the drums using "the Cobus Method" probably before his father was born.

Now to this side of the fence. I doubt that he has "inspired" hundreds of thousands of drummers to buy his "method", buy a set of drums, and go on their merry way.

At the same time, what he's doing is showing "you" that you can learn to play without formal training.

So what he's doing is a positive thing because if it were a negative thing, it would mean that all the drummers out there that didn't take lessons are not really drummers. We just play beats, but we really don't know what we are doing.

As to whether it's "significant" or not, only time will tell.
    Thanks Rick for this....looks like I've been doing the "Cobus Method" for years without realizing it. Crank up the stereo and blast away!!! Playing by ear is super fun but it looks harder than it is to a beginner so I guess there's a market and money to be made by packaging and promoting it as a "teaching method"??

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    ...so I guess there's a market and money to be made by packaging and promoting it as a "teaching method"??
    Guess so.

User Info Menu

Sounds like a con game using his reputation and name as the hook. Lost a little respect for him as far as the marketing deal, but hoo-wee the guy can really play. And play he does! Always see a him giving 110% on his covers, going until he's injured to nail the song he's playing. The man sure is dedicated to his craft, i'll give him that.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Sounds like a great experience, thanks for sharing it with us. I've always thought his technique could use more work than it took to build the Hoover Dam, but there is no denying that he sure can play.
    Wear hearing protection.

User Info Menu

My intention was this: If you're gonna charge people $100 to tell them you can teach yourself drums, then that's to me the drum instruction equivalent of a pet rock, except without the novelty.

I've tended to notice 'self-taught' drummers seem to be a little sensitive on this point, as if people who've attended lessons think they are better. Honestly, it comes down to how you play, not how you learned. Buddy Rich couldn't even read music, but is probably the best ever.

That being said, we know that people are born with natural talents, which means some are born without these talents. I, unfortunately, do not have any musical talent. If I were to go the play along method (which I did as a teen mostly and my first year playing), I'd be a lot less skilled than instead focusing on the basics, techinque ect. Furthermore, you don't always hear everything the drummer is playing over the rest of the band (even more so when you're playing along), so my opinion of rage Against the Machine's drummer changed quite a lot when I finally saw the sheet music.

Finally, a lot of the music I listen to is even today way beyond my abilities. Sure, I can play along to Jimi, LZ Art Blakey ect and make a hash of it, or I can sit, learn the technique and eventually get there.

Finally, part 2, I also wonder what does 'self-taught' means? If someone shows you 5 paradiddles and everything else you learn on your own, are you self taught? If you get exercises online, what about then? What if you practice with a metronome? In the end, these are all just tools to get better. Why anyone would want to deny themselves these tools (like learning to read drum music, which shouldn't take more than 2 hours work if you're a mental midget) seems to me short-sighted at best. Especially with the resources today online, it's the equivalent of someone saying they don't want to learn how to use a computer.
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Thanks Rick for this....looks like I've been doing the "Cobus Method" for years without realizing it. Crank up the stereo and blast away!!! Playing by ear is super fun but it looks harder than it is to a beginner so I guess there's a market and money to be made by packaging and promoting it as a "teaching method"??

Rich,

I learned so butt-backwards that when I look back over my shoulder, I'm amazed at where "teaching myself" got me. I could play Morellos "Far More Drums" before I knew there were such things as rudiments. Can't get much more backwards than that.

Cobus is good for what he does. The fact that he's making a buck off of something that a lot of us could have done probably ticks some people off.

User Info Menu

Michael, thanks for sharing, sounds like it was a great time...................I'd heard of Cobus, but I've never actually watched any of his videos ........................going to check them out.

User Info Menu

I love that drumset. Never heard of him but I'll check it out since there's a debate going on

User Info Menu

Thanks for all comments and opinions. Much appreciated.

all I know, the drummers here had a great time during his performance and clinic, and we never think, worry, or having issues with his method and/or any related stuffs whatsoever.

again, if you think "hundreds of thousands" is too exaggerating, thats fine, at least we know that by watching other drummers playing, we can be inspired in many ways, right? Cobus' (MANY) videos have been watched by millions

Thanks