Thread: Cymbal Crafting

User Info Menu

Default Cymbal Crafting

I'm taking up a metal class elective next year that my schools shop teacher pretty much made for me. I'm SO excited. I was just chatting with him about the science behind cymbals and whatnot and brought up how complete my life would be if I could ever make my own cymbal lol. He told me that it shouldn't be that hard since the school was stocked with nickel and B20 bronze in the shop. So next year I'm gonna try and craft my very own cymbal after long research and finally knowing how. It may not be that great, but I'm extatic knowing that I'll be able to try.
    Any of you guys ever taken up metal working or cymbal crafting?
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Awesome! metalworking is a lot of fun. I used to work with a welder, and have fooled around doing some stuff on my own. It can be hard work, but it really is rewarding in the end. Good luck on your cymbals, and I trust that you'll share the end product with your drumchat family in the form of videos and photos!
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

User Info Menu

Well, itll probably be something like a sheet cymbal, i dont think their going to give you a casting, if so, goodluck bud

im pretty sure the process goes, heating and rolling from the casting, to get a sheet, mold the bell, cut it out, hammer it down, and lathe, then some more hammering

User Info Menu

casting is easy. All you need is fired clay that is in close to the right shape with a lip, so the molten metal doesnt run out. Then once it dries and cools, temper it, hammer it, temper it again, lathe it, and polish it.... or something like that Sabian's website actually takes you through the whole process.
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

User Info Menu

32HB, it really doesn't matter whether it is a cast cymbal or a sheet cymbal. The important thing will be that you will make it yourself, and that you will learn something about cymbal making in the process. Think about how knowledgable about cymbals you will become!! Knowledge is never wasted, my friend!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

i am a cnc machinist

i think it better to lathe it first after hammer it because making a mold to make casting it will take lot of mold (size cymbal issue)

my point

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

Good tip Riouel. I'm always amazed at the different talents we have in here!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

can i come to your school?
    but seriously man that rocks so hard.
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

Good tip Riouel. I'm always amazed at the different talents we have in here!
    thanx pb

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

Make me some cymbals........I need some new ones. Blessings........