Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Movie recommendation thread

User Info Menu

Default Re: Movie recommendation thread

I dug through the $5 movie bin at Walmart last night. Picked up "I, Robot" with Will Smith. I hadn't seen it in years. Excellent Sci-Fi thriller.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Since it's Christmas time I'll say ' Jesus of Nazareth' a very good movie that was made in the 70's.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I dug through the $5 movie bin at Walmart last night. Picked up "I, Robot" with Will Smith. I hadn't seen it in years. Excellent Sci-Fi thriller.
    That's funny, I was digging through the same bin at Walmart and picked up GOOD WILL HUNTING and FULL METAL JACKET (Blue Ray). I almost took I, Robot.

Great films!
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 54bogger View Post
    Since it's Christmas time I'll say ' Jesus of Nazareth' a very good movie that was made in the 70's.
    There was a new one made a couple years ago....I think it was called The Nativity? I never saw it. I do own Passion of the Christ. We watch it every Easter.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EddieV View Post
    That's funny, I was digging through the same bin at Walmart and picked up GOOD WILL HUNTING and FULL METAL JACKET (Blue Ray). I almost took I, Robot.

Great films!
    Even funnier; I picked up Full Metal Jacket, but I put it back, LOL. Decided to get The Shining instead (the original one with Jack Nicholson). Watching it now as I type this.....wow! Shelly Duvall is a great actress, but she'd have to sneak up on a glass of water to get a drink

Also got The Abyss and Prometheus.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

I recommend the movie 'Pain and Gain'. It stars Mark Wahlberg and Dwayne Johnson - two actors whose films I generally overlook as I'm not really a fan of Action genre movies (or the actors). This one really surprised me - I watched it at a friends place (there is no way I would have rented a Mark Wahlberg or Dwayne Johnson flic) - its a Crime/Comedy and coffee through the nose funny (a bit dark and disturbing in places though) but worth checking out if you fancy something a bit different.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crispycritters View Post
    I recommend the movie 'Pain and Gain'. It stars Mark Wahlberg and Dwayne Johnson - two actors whose films I generally overlook as I'm not really a fan of Action genre movies (or the actors). This one really surprised me - I watched it at a friends place (there is no way I would have rented a Mark Wahlberg or Dwayne Johnson flic) - its a Crime/Comedy and coffee through the nose funny (a bit dark and disturbing in places though) but worth checking out if you fancy something a bit different.
    Mark Wahlberg is a very capable actor. He's done some really good movies, but unfortunately, some pretty bad ones as well. Same goes for Dwayne Johnson. Sometimes I think the "bulging muscles" are a double edged sword for actors. They get their big break because of their looks, but then get type cast in the crappy action roles. Wahlberg has managed to break into the serious rolls now, but Dwayne is almost too ripped to be cast in anything else. It's almost impossible for him to appear as an average guy.

I've passed over that movie several times because it just doesn't look appealing. I might have to check it out now.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

I suppose I'll recommend my favourite movie, the remake of The Italian Job. Also, watched Non-Stop tonight with the family, pretty decent action/thriller flick that one.

User Info Menu

Up In Smoke.
    “I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”

User Info Menu

Saw a couple movies this week worth recommendation.

As Above, So Below (new release on Redbox)- Way better than I anticipated. I figured it would be a cheesy, low budget horror. I would classify it as a cross between horror and a sci-fi thriller. Pretty well made, unique and certainly creepy at times. Not Great, but well worth the time.

Cinderella Man (I own it on DVD, but forgot about it)- EXCELLENT movie. Probably my favorite boxing movie of all time. Russell Crowe is phenomenal. Based on the true story of world champ James Braddock in the 1930's. The film portrayed fellow boxer Max Baer as a bit of a psychopathic villain, which wasn't true, but that's Hollywood...
    -Brian

User Info Menu

I just saw unbroken today. Great movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Saturday night, I went and saw "Whiplash". A great movie, especially for drummers.

Here's the story line:
    A promising young drummer enrolls at a cutthroat music conservatory where his dreams of greatness are mentored by an instructor who will stop at nothing to realize a student's potential.
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

Just watched The Expendables 3 last night. Great ending to the whole series. Is Stallone ever going to retire from being an action hero? The guy is in fantastic shape for as old as he is, but come on. But then again now that I think about it, there aren't really any young action movie heros.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    Just watched The Expendables 3 last night. Great ending to the whole series. Is Stallone ever going to retire from being an action hero? The guy is in fantastic shape for as old as he is, but come on. But then again now that I think about it, there aren't really any young action movie heros.

What about Mark Walberg and Tom Cruise?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    What about Mark Walberg and Tom Cruise?
    Mark Wahlberg, maybe. Tom Cruise? Ummm, no.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Linchpin View Post
    I'm a big Tarantino fan. Have you watched Jackie Brown? One of his earlier films. If not, it's worth checking out.
    Yeah Jackie Brown is a great movie too. I think I've seen all Tarantino's movies. I like his sense of humor, it's pretty dark.

User Info Menu

Watched John Wick last night. John Wick (Keanu Reeves), a retired hitman, goes back into the business to exact revenge against some very bad men who took away from him something he cared very much about.

While the acting and plot won't win any academy awards, the action scenes are awesome. If you're into action movies with awesome gunfight scenes then I would recommend it.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrummerD View Post
    Saturday night, I went and saw "Whiplash". A great movie, especially for drummers.

Here's the story line:
    A promising young drummer enrolls at a cutthroat music conservatory where his dreams of greatness are mentored by an instructor who will stop at nothing to realize a student's potential.
    Love this movie. Would highly recommend to all drummers and all musicians in general, but the cool thing is it's an all-around great film and I feel like it appeals to lots of non-musicians too. It actually got nominated for a few Oscars...I think it was Best Picture and Best Supporting Actor (JK Simmons).
    Matt

User Info Menu

I watched Whiplash tonight. It was worth watching, but I have to say, I was unimpressed. To me, the entire thing was just too far fetched and cliche to be taken seriously. I don't want to give any details and spoil the movie for anyone else, so I'll leave it at that.

On the flip side, I saw The Imitation Game in the theater last week. Excellent movie. Best I've seen in a while.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Mark Wahlberg is one of my favorite actors. His performance in Lone Survivor was amazing. I also enjoyed Invincible and The Italian Job. But my favorite by far is Rock Star. He absolutely knocked it out of the park in that one. Plus it features Jason Bonham and Zakk Wylde. Oh, and the unbelievably lovely Jennifer Aniston! Music by Trevor Rabin of Yes too!

User Info Menu

Saw Transcendence tonight. Highly recommended.

User Info Menu

Found a sleeper of an awesome movie. I had to read english subtitles though because I cannot understand French.
    The Intouchables
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Intouchables

User Info Menu

I watched a movie a little while ago called Invictus. Directed by Clint Eastwood, and it stars Morgan Freeman and Matt Damon. It's about Nelson Mandela and the Springboks (SA national rugby team) leading up to and during the 1995 Rugby World Cup. About how rugby union played a role in shaping a new South Africa.

Good film. I'd recommend it even if you're not a rugby fan.

Last edited by xweasel; 02-27-2015 at 06:09 AM.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

On a drum related note, I watched Beware of Mr. Baker last night on Netflix. My head is still spinning at the journey this guy has taken and his destructive personality. His teeth are much nicer now than they were for most of his life. Interviews with Neil Peart, Simon Phillips, Chad Smith, Eric Clapton, and others. Of course, Kofi is in a bit of it too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I watched Whiplash tonight. It was worth watching, but I have to say, I was unimpressed. To me, the entire thing was just too far fetched and cliche to be taken seriously. I don't want to give any details and spoil the movie for anyone else, so I'll leave it at that.

On the flip side, I saw The Imitation Game in the theater last week. Excellent movie. Best I've seen in a while.
    We watched Whiplash a couple of nights ago as a family and loved it. Very entertaining movie. A week before we watched Birdman, and I was the only one awake at the end, because I said it was going to be good! Oh well.