Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Movie recommendation thread

User Info Menu

Default Movie recommendation thread

I've been reading some movie recommendations from other places (like message boards) and have had some good luck finding some excellent films that I'd not heard about.

My life is a bit of a whirlwind most of the time and I simply don't have the time to keep "up" on what's new in the theaters, or especially on-demand sources like NETFLIX and HULU. It seems I'm years behind.

I've yet to see some major blockbusters like LOTR, Pulp Fiction, THe big Lebowski and most other films. My kids have made me watch the Hunger Games Movies....but that's about it for the last few years.

I'm also not usually "in" to what everyone else is in too....which is why I don't really make an attempt to see the stuff that seems popular.

That being said....I recently watch this one...and absolutely LOVED it. (Even though I think the Vampire theme for movies and tv shows is stupid)

It has subtitles.....but, the dialogue is slow, and easy to follow. There is an American overdubbed version - but the voice actors were terrible. (If you can get over that - you may like it).

I loved this film.

My wife thought it was "ok" - but we are never on the same page with films.

I trust most of you and welcome your suggestions. Even if it's an older film. What are some of the lesser known films you like?
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Movie recommendation thread

Somehow I think you might be have a hard time finding that in the movie theaters..
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I'm not usually in to Vampire movies, but I'd give it a watch. I know this is going to sound like I'm a horrible human being, but I always see Vampire movies as "chick flicks".

I know, I know, flame away....
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

I enjoyed 'The Wrestler' starring Mickey Rouark, I also liked a 70's movie called 'Stanley' about a Vietnam vet with a pet rattlesnake.
    Yea I'm weird but I amuse myself.lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    I'm not usually in to Vampire movies, but I'd give it a watch. I know this is going to sound like I'm a horrible human being, but I always see Vampire movies as "chick flicks".

I know, I know, flame away....
    I agree......

The film above I mentioned isn't a chick flick - that's for sure. It was a bit dark and disturbing. A lot of weird awkward implications in this film.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EddieV View Post
    I've been reading some movie recommendations from other places (like message boards) and have had some good luck finding some excellent films that I'd not heard about.

My life is a bit of a whirlwind most of the time and I simply don't have the time to keep "up" on what's new in the theaters, or especially on-demand sources like NETFLIX and HULU. It seems I'm years behind.

I've yet to see some major blockbusters like LOTR, Pulp Fiction, THe big Lebowski and most other films. My kids have made me watch the Hunger Games Movies....but that's about it for the last few years.

I'm also not usually "in" to what everyone else is in too....which is why I don't really make an attempt to see the stuff that seems popular.

That being said....I recently watch this one...and absolutely LOVED it. (Even though I think the Vampire theme for movies and tv shows is stupid)

It has subtitles.....but, the dialogue is slow, and easy to follow. There is an American overdubbed version - but the voice actors were terrible. (If you can get over that - you may like it).

I loved this film.

My wife thought it was "ok" - but we are never on the same page with films.

I trust most of you and welcome your suggestions. Even if it's an older film. What are some of the lesser known films you like?
    I've seen it. Loved it as well. Probably my favorite vampire movie I've ever seen. I found it very disturbing in a creepy way, just because it was very realistic and not full of the stereotypical vamp stuff. The Eastern Europe setting and plot made it even creepier.

We have no cable TV, so we watch 4-5 movies per week via Netflix or Redbox. Been doing it for several years, so I've seen a TON of movies. Most are older and/or not-so-well known.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I highly recommend "Rubber", it's about a phsycomaniac tire, just trust me on this one. (FYI: probably not a movie for children)
    Wear hearing protection.

User Info Menu

Let The Right One In is a very good film. There is an American remake called Let Me In. Also try Snowpiercer, Nightbreed, and Django Unchained. I believe they are all streaming on Netflix.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thunderstruck View Post
    Let The Right One In is a very good film. There is an American remake called Let Me In. Also try Snowpiercer, Nightbreed, and Django Unchained. I believe they are all streaming on Netflix.
    Snowpiercer is fantastic...just watched it last week. Definitely not like anything I've ever seen before. It required a lot of suspense of disbelief, but if you can set aside how ridiculous the whole premise is then it's actually a great film.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Prometheus may be worth watching. Although its a 'prequel' it doesn't particularly follow the same format as the Alien franchise (after the second Alien movie they became rather similar and predicatable) and you don't have to have seen any of the other movies for it to make sense.

If you aren't familiar with the Aliens movie franchise they are Sci fi/Horror/Suspense. Not for younger children - rated 15 in UK. I'm not sure about how your certification system works.
    Last edited by crispycritters; 12-10-2014 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Typos

User Info Menu

Traitor-Don Cheadle

Most pictures, by the end, people have figured out who did it, why they did it, and how high a building Jason Statham is going to throw him off of.

I've yet to have anybody tell me that they saw the end of Traitor coming.

OR

You can learn to sleep on your stomach with 1 eye open after watching "I Spit On Your Grave".

User Info Menu

I agree with Rick- Traitor was great. "Basic" w/John Travolta is another one with a great twist. Also, "The Game" with Michael Douglas.
    Last edited by N2Bluz; 12-10-2014 at 06:52 PM.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Taxi Driver starring a youthful Robert Deniro, if you haven't already seen it ... one of my all time favorites ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I've seen it. Loved it as well. Probably my favorite vampire movie I've ever seen. I found it very disturbing in a creepy way, just because it was very realistic and not full of the stereotypical vamp stuff. The Eastern Europe setting and plot made it even creepier.
    The fact that it's a romantic movie between two pre-teens is creepy too. Yet, it's done so well.

User Info Menu

Law Abiding Citizen. Nuff said.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I agree with Rick- Traitor was great. "Basic" w/John Travolta is another one with a great twist. Also, "The Game" with Michael Douglas.

So help me N2B, I was thinking of Basic with Travolta, Jackson, Connie Neilson when Traitor jumped into my mind.

The scene at the end of Basic is worth the price of admission by itself. They really had Connie Neilson going with that 1.

User Info Menu

Das Boot, the German version with the English subtitles. Great movie!
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

User Info Menu

Road to Perdition is an excellent Tom Hanks movie that many people overlooked. It's a 1930's gangster movie with Tom Hanks.....how can you lose?

Legends of the Fall is still one of my top favorites. The Last Samauri and The Patriot rank up at the top as well. Most people have seen all those already. While I'm at it, there's only 2 Adam Sandler movies I've ever seen that I liked; Spanglish and Reign Over Me. I don't find him remotely funny, however the guy CAN act with the best of them in a serious role.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ray on the Drums View Post
    My ex wife and I of over 12 years watched SO MUCH (note the caps) TV and movies, that when I got my chance to run I refused to look at a TV or movie screens again. Just one of the big changes I made and stood behind for the most part. I did get on a couple TV show sometimes like Friends, Seinfeld for a bit but that has even stopped altogether again.

I had my own place for 2 years with nothing but a nice stereo, no TV. When I met my wife now of almost 20 years now she was cool with it and didn't want a TV either.

As our son was born a year later and got older I was like "OK he does need Sesame Street, cartoons and all so maybe we should get a TV, so we did. Always needing time out in the shop I would make my way there when the TV came on.

We still keep it for occasional music/concerts related stuff, occasional football and sometimes the weather when concerned and I guess bigger news broadcasts.

She may see 3 or 4 movies a year (her choice) with her friends or family and I stay clear. She is cool with it and I've kinda pissed off a few with it. You throw a movie in and I'm slowly heading out, no big deal enjoy your movie.

The last movie we ever watched together was "Titanc" at the theater when it first came out, my idea. She was shocked! I haven't watched a movie since.
    There is a happy medium in there. My wife and I love to sit at the end of the night, in our recliners, holding hands, and watching our favourite series or movie. It really helps us wind down for bed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    Das Boot, the German version with the English subtitles. Great movie!
    Nothing like dating yourself. I remember that from looong ago.

How about further back? Anyone remember Billy Jack? I must have seen that one a dozen times.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Nothing like dating yourself. I remember that from looong ago.

How about further back? Anyone remember Billy Jack? I must have seen that one a dozen times.
    Hey, it was dang good movie man!

It came out in '81. It wasn't that long ago. LOL! dangermonkey mentioned the movie Taxi Driver. That came out in '76. crispycritters mentioned the Alien franchise. 1979.

Just sayin'.
    Last edited by Markadiddle; 12-11-2014 at 12:03 PM.
    Stolen from EddieV:

User Info Menu

Best movie ever is still Gladiator! Russell Crowe at his best!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks4drums View Post
    Best movie ever is still Gladiator! Russell Crowe at his best!
    +1! Agreed.
    Stolen from EddieV:

User Info Menu

Sticks top 7 recomendations.

Gladiator
    The Sixth Sense
    Something about Mary
    The Green Mile
    Shaw Shank Redemption
    Silence of the Lambs
    Legends of the Fall
    Last edited by Sticks4drums; 12-11-2014 at 12:18 PM.

User Info Menu

Anything with Anthony Hopkins in it is worth watching. Best actor in my opinion.