Thread: Headphones - Playing with a click live

User Info Menu

Default Headphones - Playing with a click live

I've been using the less-expensive Shure SE215's for a few years now when I play live to tracks and needing a click. They work great for the click, but I often have a hard time hearing the live mix because they're noise-canceling. I don't want to wear over the ear headphones because I look like Princess Lea. Any suggestions? What are you all using? Thanks!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Headphones - Playing with a click live

Sorry, I can't but others will, I'm sure.
    "... I look like Princess Lea." LOL! Doesn't everybody when wearing those?
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

The over-the-ear monitors honestly work the best in my opinion. I play with a click and a mix of other instruments. If you have the capabilities to create a custom mix, I recommend that as well. The drummer's needs are important too right? haha

Best of luck!

User Info Menu

Just keep telling yourself you look like Keith Moon...

User Info Menu

But why not use ear buds? Get some with the foam tips.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cdeleone View Post
    I've been using the less-expensive Shure SE215's for a few years now when I play live to tracks and needing a click. They work great for the click, but I often have a hard time hearing the live mix because they're noise-canceling. I don't want to wear over the ear headphones because I look like Princess Lea. Any suggestions? What are you all using? Thanks!
    I use the 215's also and love them................but also have the click and FoH mix coming through them..................if you have to listen to the mix on stage, would it work to only use one ear for the click?

User Info Menu

Get some ear buds that you like. You'll have to try a few, but you'll find some that you like.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    I use the 215's also and love them................but also have the click and FoH mix coming through them..................if you have to listen to the mix on stage, would it work to only use one ear for the click?
    I currently send the tracks through the left channel (out to the PA) and the click into the right. I run my tracks through an ipad app and receive the track in one ear. The issue I have is the overall monitor mix. I find that I have to have the monitor wicked loud to hear the live mix, while also tending to the feed into my ears. Hope I'm making sense here...
    The Shures are a good in-ear but it's hard to get a good overall mix. Nothing will ever be perfect (don't all drummers complain??). I was thinking about Ultimate Ears, but those can get rather pricey. Thanks for all the feedback!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    Just keep telling yourself you look like Keith Moon...

Would I be expected to trash my kit after my performance as well?

User Info Menu

Yes, but the Death Star was going to obliterate it anyway...