Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drum storage in your house?

User Info Menu

Default Drum storage in your house?

I have three kits with a bunch of extra drums, hardware, cymbals, etc. but I cant enjoy them all. In an ideal world, I would have an entire room dedicated to all my stuff, but unfortunately I keep one kit in the band studio and the rest sit in cases in my garage gathering dust. I find it a pain to continually swap out kits when I'm in the mood to play the others. What does everyone else do? Do you find some drums just don't get used anymore?
    How can I convince my wife to let me bring them all in the house?!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum storage in your house?

I just find every nook and cranny I can to stuff crap into. We live in a cottage.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Just tell the wife that you're thinking of redecorating a room. Don't tell her it's going to look like this until it's past the point that she can object:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Just tell the wife that you're thinking of redecorating a room. Don't tell her it's going to look like this until it's past the point that she can object:

Oh I'm so jealous of that!

But for me I have 3 kits setup at my drum studio that I teach out of, one kit setup at my home, and 1 kit setup at the venue we practice/play at that I gig with.

I'd love to have a basement with just drums!

User Info Menu

I presently have 4 kits. I always keep one kit setup in the house. The other kits are in cases on shelves. Just hook up one of your rooms or areas with a shelving design to hold your gear. When I am playing in a band, I always keep one set at the practice location. It's nice to have a few different sets. I get bored playing the same set all the time. It keeps me interested and excited about playing, by changing out the kits. Some times somebody in the band will ask me, which set you bringing to the gig, I ask, why ? Some band members actually have a favorite kit of yours. It could be the sound or looks that makes it the favorite kit. I always choose which kit I bring, making sure it's ready to play. I think I am going to go back using a 3 kit maximum.

User Info Menu

It's time to move!

User Info Menu

Brilliant idea! Next time she's out of town, I'll surprise her. And then she'll murder me. If you don't see any posts from me from here on out, call the police.

User Info Menu

I have 2 kits set up in my basement, One I have my metronome and headphones on with some crappy cymbals. At that kit I practice grooves, paradiddles, foot work, and independence etc.

My other kit is set up at the opposite side and is mic'd with my stereo and I play along to songs and try to learn some tough beats, openings, and fills etc.

I try to get to both of them everyday for about 30 min. each but sometimes I just sit at the practice kit for an hours or more.

I dont know how much room you have, but sounds to me like you need to prioritize your equipment. May have to put something else out in garage to make room for one or both kits?
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Spectacular! That reminds me a bit of the basement I had through most of the 90s. If I had been a drummer back then, I would have had an incredible amount of room for drums/kits. Now that I live in Las Vegas, no basement...so now I have to use an upstairs bedroom as my music room. Nowhere near as nice as that!!
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

I have my 4 kits set up all around my basement in 3 separate rooms but at least this is the first time I've had "all" my kits set up at once. Usually something was stowed in cases while others were stacked and still having 3 or so kits set up. Now I'm streamlined enough and still content. Pictures cuz it is happening.

Outer basement family room....

Old drum room that is now my downstairs computer room/guitar room.

New home addition / drum room

Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cdeleone View Post
    I have three kits with a bunch of extra drums, hardware, cymbals, etc. but I cant enjoy them all. In an ideal world, I would have an entire room dedicated to all my stuff, but unfortunately I keep one kit in the band studio and the rest sit in cases in my garage gathering dust. I find it a pain to continually swap out kits when I'm in the mood to play the others. What does everyone else do? Do you find some drums just don't get used anymore?
    How can I convince my wife to let me bring them all in the house?!
    My 8, 10, and 14" toms are in storage(closet), and my set is set up in my bedroom. Of course I also live with my parents and don't have any other option.
    Wear hearing protection.

User Info Menu

I have three kits: one at church, one set up in the basement, another in their cases. I don't have them all set up in the same room.

Eventually, I'm hoping to finish a part of our unfinished basement and make it a music room. I'm hoping this happens sometime in the next decade.

User Info Menu

since the wife moved out ive got my cymbals laying flat in the closet, complete waste of space but it's a nice view!

When I want to swap out drum sets, I turn the dial of my computer, it takes 1 second and I hardly have to move...yall should try it :P
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

I have enough room to set up five kits at once but if I do, both of my vehicles will need to be parked outside on the driveway.

The compromise is out of the five kits, three full kits in the garage, one kit lives at the practice studio and the vintage kit lives in the music room inside the house.

User Info Menu

Like. A lot, Rich!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgziegler View Post
    When I want to swap out drum sets, I turn the dial of my computer, it takes 1 second and I hardly have to move...yall should try it :P
    Did it for 20 years. Hopefully never my only option again!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Like. A lot, Rich!!
    Thanks Mark!

User Info Menu

I (currently) own eight full kits. I have one set up long term at another practice space and one is also set up in the rehearsal space in my home. Which leaves me with storing another six drum sets.

I bought three metal industrial racks which are each eight feet long. I stack the drums in cases or bags on those shelves. I hung banners on them so that it would not look quite as industrial.

These are photos of other equipment, but you can see the racks in the background.

-Mike

"We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing."

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

"Snare drums happen."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer5359 View Post
    I (currently) own eight full kits. I have one set up long term at another practice space and one is also set up in the rehearsal space in my home. Which leaves me with storing another six drum sets.

I bought three metal industrial racks which are each eight feet long. I stack the drums in cases or bags on those shelves. I hung banners on them so that it would not look quite as industrial.

These are photos of other equipment, but you can see the racks in the background.

Wow! What an impressive collection of instruments you have...that is something beautiful alright. I kept hearing a cash register sound in my head as my eyes moved from guitar to bass to drums to cymbal cases...ha! Awesome!

User Info Menu

Who wants to rob Drummer's place and start a music store? :P

man, you guys are really something...must have either really big houses, or very tolerant spouses

However, after seeing what's out there on craigslist, I totally get it
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

...very tolerant spouses
    I'm pushing the boundaries with mine...very close to the edge of crossing that "line". I got to chill out on my G.A.S. for now.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I'm pushing the boundaries with mine...very close to the edge of crossing that "line". I got to chill out on my G.A.S. for now.....
    Yeah, you were getting pretty aggressive. I'm so proud of you!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Who wants to rob Drummer's place and start a music store? :P

man, you guys are really something...must have either really big houses, or very tolerant spouses

However, after seeing what's out there on craigslist, I totally get it
    Yeah, I think I have room for a few more:

User Info Menu

makes my 6 drumset collection look small lol Glad I'm not the only crazy one.

User Info Menu

I'm starting to have the same issue. I have an 18'x 35' room in the basement that has served as my "drum storage and workshop" for the last several years. I thought this drum thing would be temporary after I got my first kit completed.....but we all know what happens. It's starting to get pretty cluttered with drum projects and completed kits. The last few weeks I've been trying to clean it and organize it. If I wasn't married, it would probably all be in the living room, LOL. I think I'll make some storage shelving and buy some cheap plastic totes to keep all the parts-n-pieces, refinishing supplies, etc..

The drum stuff is bad, but compared to my automotive hobby/projects, it's a drop in the bucket. My brothers and I own a 7,000sq.ft. building that's FULL of engines, parts, tools, project cars, etc..
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham