Thread: Review: Remo UT (Taiwan) Drum Heads

User Info Menu

Default Review: Remo UT (Taiwan) Drum Heads

Wanted to share some thoughts on the Remo UT (Taiwan) stock drum heads that came with the Pork Pie Little Squealer Dark Cherry Birch/Mahogany 24" kick 4pc kit purchased a few weeks ago. The heads came installed in Taiwan where the kit was made. Remo designates these heads as Remo-UT (Taiwan) opposed to Remo-UA which is the USA counterpart.

This was my first encounter with Remo UT heads and what I heard on the official video for this kit at the Pork Pie site had me perplexed. In my opinion, the entire kit sounded "choked" off or "flat" and I suspected it was the stock heads.

I feel Remo-UT is an inferior version of the Remo-USA counterpart and I understand why they came as stock heads on Taiwan made Pork Pie kits....It's to save money...plain and simple. Played the stock heads briefly and took them off for a better look. Here's a couple of things I'd like to share:

#1-open channel crimp weighs less:

I feel an open channel crimp saves weight on the head. The Remo- UT head has a closed channel crimp and as a result, more mass is needed to hold the plies together. Both Remo USA and Aquarian use the open channel crimping method to secure the plies together and both felt lighter than the Remo UT head.

Remo USA-uses an open channel crimp

Aquarian- uses an open channel crimp

#2 Superior machining:

In my opinion, the machining is more precise on the Remo-USA head verses the Remo UT head.

Conclusion:

Quality drum heads and proper tuning can make a mid-line kit sound great but add economics into the fold and compromises abound. The Remo UT heads is just that in my opinion....a compromise. The Remo UT Taiwan heads feel heavier and look less refined than the Remo-USA version and belong on the showroom floor as display heads and nothing more.....
    Last edited by late8; 12-16-2014 at 09:15 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Review: Remo UT (Taiwan) Drum Heads

Excellent review.

You can tell that costs were cut in quality control levels.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Thanks for taking the time to research that. I am sure this will be referred to multiple times in the future. I remember the 1st kit I ever bought had UT emperors on it and I did not like em, REMO should be careful because people who experience the UT as their 1st head may not ever go back to Remo thinking they all sound like the UT's. I don't think aquarian or evans have knockoffs like the UT's do they?
    Last edited by MDK; 12-15-2014 at 06:30 AM.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    Excellent review.

You can tell that costs were cut in quality control levels.
    Thanks Zeta.

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to research that. I am sure this will be referred to multiple times in the future. I remember the 1st kit I ever bought had UT emperors on it and I did not like em, REMO should be careful because people who experience the UT as their 1st head may not ever go back to Remo thinking they all sound like the UT's. I don't think aquarian or evans have knockoffs like the UT's do they?
    You're welcome MDK. Entry level and mid-line kits must be made affordable for the mainstream drummer (think hobbyist) and drum heads fit the formula on where a company could cut corners by using less expensive materials but I feel your statement rings true.

Aquarian heads are also made off-shore (Mexico) but I don't think they have a "knock" off brand like the Remo UT heads. Evans is owned by D'Addario and they have their headquarters in Farmindale Long Island, New York. They originally made guitar and bass strings but expanded into drum heads and recently acquired Pro Mark in the mid 2000's. The Gretsch Renown '57 Motorcity Onyx kit came stock with Evans G1 batters but the reso heads were off-shore "no name" "no brand" clear heads. I compared them to the Evans clear G1s and the quality was less on the "no name" heads. To this day I still don't what Gretsch used for the stock reso for the Renowns but I bet they were made in Taiwan.

First impressions are lasting impressions and if I didn't question the heads, I'd blame the kit for sounding like a cardboard box. Car companies do the same thing with tires on their lower priced vehicles. The tires are rated lower on the less expensive models but as you step up to a more expensive line, the tires and options will also improve in quality and design function.
    Last edited by late8; 12-16-2014 at 09:19 AM.

User Info Menu

Remo UT hoop seam verses Aquarian hoop seam:

A side-by-side comparison reveals the difference in seam construction on the hoop that holds the ply(s) together on the head. Aquarian tack welds the seam together whereas the Remo UT head is merely crimped. The welded seam on the Aquarian head looks as if it could hold up better from more torque or may stay in tune better while being played. The grade of aluminum and the machining looks more refined on the Aquarian head than the Remo UT head.

Much improved resonance and tone that came from swapping the stock heads:

Last edited by late8; 12-15-2014 at 10:29 AM.

User Info Menu

Really excellent research. Thank you for posting.

User Info Menu

When I got my ludwig kit, it came with remo taiwan heads. I noticed that the metal hoop is a lot thinner then the emperors I have now. They didn't resonate very much. I still have the reso's but I run pinstripes or emperors on my toms.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thunderstruck View Post
    Really excellent research. Thank you for posting.
    You're very welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    When I got my ludwig kit, it came with remo taiwan heads. I noticed that the metal hoop is a lot thinner then the emperors I have now. They didn't resonate very much. I still have the reso's but I run pinstripes or emperors on my toms.
    Mike I noticed the same thing too. The head used as a comparison between Remo UT and Remo UA was the UA version of the clear Ambassador and that particular head has been on the Premier kit for over a year. At first glance you would assume the Remo Taiwan head was the one with wear and tear but it was never used for more than a few taps with a drumstick.

User Info Menu

I do agree that the Remo UT heads are not in the same league as the Remo USA ones, but I also think there are a lot worse 'stock' drum heads out there, compared to the Remo UTs. They came on my Mapex Meridian kit and I must admit I was somewhat surprised the kit sounded as good as it did. I did swap them out after a bit, but the initial sound was quite decent, once the drums were properly tuned.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ludleg View Post
    I do agree that the Remo UT heads are not in the same league as the Remo USA ones, but I also think there are a lot worse 'stock' drum heads out there, compared to the Remo UTs. They came on my Mapex Meridian kit and I must admit I was somewhat surprised the kit sounded as good as it did. I did swap them out after a bit, but the initial sound was quite decent, once the drums were properly tuned.
    My gut instinct tells me that there's probably one factory in Taiwan (Remo) that produces all of the "no name" drum heads for all of the kits made there and depending on the production contract, "branding" a logo for one particular company made be as simple as setting up the correct font and inking the name directly on the head?

Last edited by late8; 12-16-2014 at 04:19 PM.

User Info Menu

Found this on Remo USA:

Remo responds in a related thread:

Quote:

"The Remo UT heads are made in our factory in China. They are made using the same Dupont Mylar film as is used on the Remo USA WeatherKing head. The difference is in the construction of the head.

Whereas the US head is made using a poured channel technique, the China heads are crimped. The aluminum hoop is folded over a steel ring that is inserted in the U-channel to hold the film in place. In terms of sound quality, the UT head is excellent due to the high quality film that we use.

Remo UK heads are also made in the same factory in China. These heads are designed for the entry-level kit and use a Korean film that still has good sound and durability features. Though not as good as Dupont Mylar film, it is far better than any of the cheap, local supply of film in China.

Many drum companies will utilize both models across various levels of quality in their production. For the a good entry-level kit, most companies opt for UK heads. For their mid-range kits, they will opt for the better UT heads.

I am delighted to hear that you are happy with the sound of these heads. We started OEM drumhead production in China for the very reason of bringing an excellent level of sound and quality to the OEM kits being made there. Feel free to let me know if you have any other questions."

End quote~

Best Regards,
    Robert Shen
    Last edited by late8; 12-16-2014 at 03:24 PM.

User Info Menu

Well I forget who told me, but Remo heads from china are made by the same people that make Mapex drums. KHS.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks4drums View Post
    Well I forget who told me, but Remo heads from china are made by the same people that make Mapex drums. KHS.
    Mapex makes great drums....need to get a kit made by them soon...too good to pass up.

User Info Menu

I'm not sure how those issues you bring up effect the sonic properties. It is the mylar film that vibrates to create sound.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Late, I wish you would learn to be more detailed in your responses...

User Info Menu

A test for thickness would probably reveal that the UT heads are 8.5 or 9 mils thick, whereas standard Ambassadors are 10 mils

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    I'm not sure how those issues you bring up effect the sonic properties. It is the mylar film that vibrates to create sound.

all the best...
    Yes you are correct but increase the mass around the mylar film with a closed crimp channel and the head will not vibrated as freely as a head constructed with an open channel crimp. This super slo-mo video filmed at 3000 frames per second illustrates a Remo USA open channel head vibrating at the moment of stick impact. Keep an eye on the open channel between the edge of the head and the hoop. Add a heavy aluminum closed crimp channel with a steel wire in the middle and you've dampened the head.

The GIF looped is the fundamental vibration of a drum head, anything beyond the hoop will affect the vibrations...

Add the tuning lugs and the fundamental vibrations change drastically:

Side view of open channel verses closed channel drum head. In my opinion, the solid ring around the head restricts the mylar from vibrating as freely compared to the open channel construction.

Last edited by late8; 12-17-2014 at 04:37 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Late, I wish you would learn to be more detailed in your responses...
    lol!!!

User Info Menu

Die-Cast Hoops verses Open Flanged hoops is an example of how heavier mass around the head can affect the tone and resonance. Some drummers prefer a more "open" sound of the flanged hoop than the heavier Die-Cast hoop. The same theory applies to a Remo UT closed crimp channel construction verses the open channel crimp on the Remo USA head. The closed crimp would be similar to a die-cast hoop being heavier and solid and the flanged hoop could be compared to the open channel crimp with less mass and an open channel.

Heavier Die-Cast Hoop:

Lighter triple flanged hoop:

triple flange hoop cutaway vs die-cast hoop cutaway:

Last edited by late8; 12-17-2014 at 04:29 PM.

User Info Menu

Wow Late8 -you are a wealth of information! Thanks for all of this, it has been very informative. If Cdeleone gets that TLC: Drum Hoarders show to fly, there should be a "Someone Was Asking" segment in each episode where you unleash all this good stuff.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ludleg View Post
    Wow Late8 -you are a wealth of information! Thanks for all of this, it has been very informative. If Cdeleone gets that TLC: Drum Hoarders show to fly, there should be a "Someone Was Asking" segment in each episode where you unleash all this good stuff.
    Thank you...that's a huge compliment... just "paying it forward"....
    Last edited by late8; 12-18-2014 at 10:37 AM.