Thread: I love working with a solid bassist!

User Info Menu

Default I love working with a solid bassist!

I'm involved in several different music projects these days with various musicians. All are solid and professional, but some are just easier to work with and make the music just feel right.

Several years ago I started working with a bassist in an acoustic trio project. (I'll call him Mike, because that's his name. lol) We had two different front men, he and I worked really well together no matter who was in front. We recorded a CD together and had a great time playing with that band. Eventually it got to be too busy for him as he has two small children and he can only play out so much. He dropped out of that project with no hard feelings, we understood. We used several other bass players later, but nobody filled the role as well. I still am in that project, now as a duo. I play hand percussion most of the time and play bass on a few songs. It works.

A year ago Mike called me as the band of a friend of his lost their drummer right before a gig, I filled in and ended up joining the band. I appreciated the call, it was great to hear from him again.

A couple of moths ago Mike called me again. He was putting together another project, this time pop tunes and standards. He said that when he and the guitarist talked about drummers, my name came up first. Cool. It took a while to find the singer and get the ball rolling.

Last night we had a first practice, and man it sounded good. The guitarist is decent and the singer is dynamite. But what really struck me is how solid Mike is as a bassist. We were playing tunes together that neither of us had done before, or we have not done in ages. Every song was so solid and tight right out of the box, the first time through. He and I work together like we are joined at the hip musically. This is the first time that he and I have worked together with me playing drums instead of hand percussion.

I play with a bunch of different bassists, but Mike just makes it so freaking easy to sound good.

Wow.
    -Mike

"We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing."

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

"Snare drums happen."

User Info Menu

Default Re: I love working with a solid bassist!

what a nice, upbeat story you shared...it's moments like those where all the hard work you've put into playing music/drumming pays off. It's the highest compliment when someone asks you to join a band. I hope everyone can relate to this - but when you find musicians that are all on the same page and play well together, it's amazing. I still get goosebumps when I'm rehearsing a new song or just a jam with my band and we all know the changes, when someone will accent a note, whatever, and there is no language spoken. It's like you just know. Don't know how else to explain it.
    Of course, when the drummer and bassist play well together, the entire band plays well.
    Thanks for sharing your story!

User Info Menu

I totally agree on how important the chemistry is between drummer & bassist. If it's right, everything you play sounds perfect. If it isn't - well, it usually makes for a long night that can't finish quick enough. I come from the school where the kick drum and bass guitar need to be locked. Not always, necessarily, but to establish a deep groove, I find this approach is almost always the key to making the rhythm section 'click'.

User Info Menu

Solid musicians really make things easier. When we started my last band I was a new drummer, so sure that made things tough. Our bass player was the singer's cousin (and my cousin in-law) and had never played bass. He was using my gear and was essentially learning as we went.

Then he moved away and we got another guy. This fella was a guitar player. While better than the original guy he wasn't very good.

Then we found Dwayne. Well, I found him on Craigslist. Him and I immediately hit it off. And he was a real bass player. Our first real bass player. I loved playing with him.

The band hasn't played in almost a year but Dwayne and I are good friends and still talk/text every day.

User Info Menu

That is so awesome that you and Mike are brothers in music and click so well together even after years go by.
    Conrad

User Info Menu

Cool Re: I love working with a solid bassist!

Sounds like you're ready to rock your way into the new year!

And I'd rather play with a solid bassist than a solid anything else...no disrespecting any other musician, but when you lock in with a killer bassist, you want to play all night!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Over the years, I've worked with quite a few bass players, but, there were only 2 where we had a almost symbiotic relationship.

You live for that.

User Info Menu

Awesome post. Congrats.

Tex

User Info Menu

That's awesome! I'm lucky to have a super solid bass player in my band. We've been playing together for so long we just naturally lock in without really thinking about it. Even during improvised jams we can anticipate what the other person will play or how notes will be accented, etc. I've jammed with a lot of bass players and I have yet to find someone as solid as he is.
    Matt