Thread: Any successful DIY drum hardware painting out there?

User Info Menu

Default Any successful DIY drum hardware painting out there?

I'm just thinking about somethings, and I ran across this idea - How many of you have done a DIY paint job on your hardware? What did you use, and how were your results?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Any successful DIY drum hardware painting out there?

I'm not sure you could successfully paint chrome (in most cases) without destroying the finish for the sake of adherence. I know at that point you are past the point of no return.

Powder coating, I've heard, works great.

No personal experience but we have a powder coater here in town and they guarantee their work. I never got a quote cuz I don't have the bucks to invest anyway.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Are you talking about lugs and hoops? or stands?

Powder coating is the best bet...
    -Steven

User Info Menu

I worked a show a few years ago as a drum tech at a local club and I ran into a drummer before the show who powder coated the chrome pipes on his Gibraltar rack. Snapped a quick picture of the kit but don't have any close up shots to show you the condition of the powder coat but the satin black finish was chipped and scratched from wear and tear. I considered his finish as a "10 foot paint job", meaning it looked "great" from 10 feet away but that's all you need to get away with on stage so it worked....

BTW....those DW shells had e-triggers in each tom. The kit was totally triggered.....including the bass drum....such a waste IMHO.

Last edited by late8; 12-17-2014 at 09:18 AM.

User Info Menu

I painted the hoops on my old ludwig set. I still use the ludwig Acrolite snare which I painted along with the rest of the set. I used mate black pray paint after ruffing up the chrome with sand paper. it chipped off the top of the rims pretty quick that being said I still like the way it looks. I have no expirience with powder coating, but I'm sure it would last longer and look better. I can post a pic if you are interested.

User Info Menu

If you gig or move your kit on a regular basis, I would imagine you are going to constantly deal with chipped paint.

Tex

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post

BTW....those DW shells had e-triggers in each tom. The kit was totally triggered.....including the bass drum.....

User Info Menu

I had an acrolite that was "duracoated" in a camo pattern.....................the same stuff used on weapons.

It worked great and held up well.............after two years there were only a few chips from rimshots.

Also had a tom mount done in white duracoat............at the time, I was thinking about making all of my hardware white......................it has held up, some scratches here and there where it was clamped down.............here it is being used to mount a cowbell

User Info Menu

yeah I feel nothing will hold up to factory like factory if you gig... it will also scratch or chip.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    yeah I feel nothing will hold up to factory like factory if you gig... it will also scratch or chip.
    Spray on chrome would be the extent at which I would go to refresh pitted or worn out chrome hardware stands. I'd probably pass on powder coating any color.

User Info Menu

^mind blowing