Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is drumming as a career fun for you?

User Info Menu

Default Is drumming as a career fun for you?

I saw a Jerry Seinfield interview awhile back where he was talking about that, even though he loves what he does, it was a grind and there's an element of pain involved. This is hard to explain but he was talking about the entire process and explaining how this daily grind isn't always fun per se but the life as a professional comedian on the whole was very fulfilling.

I was thinking about how I felt along those lines and as it relates to drumming and I think I understand. Because I play with a very high standard, there's an constant amount of work and practice and preparation and so on that goes into being a full time professional musician. There are times when I just don't want to do it but the alternative would be a regular day gig where I would probably not be as happy.

Just wondering what your thoughts were. You full time guys - can you relate?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Is drumming as a career fun for you?

It isn't drumming that is annoying. It's the business part that is discouraging. The deals are not that good, getting gigs can be troublesome, and many people are unreliable.

User Info Menu

I've never been a full-time drummer, but I did do an 11-week tour with a group playing keys, bass, and singing. We did about 65 shows those 11 weeks, and we were in a different place every evening. I wouldn't wish that touring schedule on anyone; it was brutal. For years I've dreamed of being a full time drummer, but I really enjoy sleeping in my own bed every night. Learning songs every few weeks for church and playing in front of a congregation of 500+ each week fulfills me pretty well.

User Info Menu

Was a job, now its a hobby.

User Info Menu

I can see where anything that you do in life that is fun turns into a main source of income ( full time job ) be just like any other job after a while.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

I'll just say this my 14 years as a full time working drummer were a billion times better then my 30 years as a professional painter.

User Info Menu

I drove a oil truck for approx. 3 years after I left the service.

Delivering oil in the Jersey winters, pulling that hose up 10 stairs, then around and through a alleyway covered with ice, to get to a backyard covered in snow, then stand in that yard in the rain and/or sleet. Yeah, I wanted to do that for 30 years. I'd rather go to Africa and fight Bengal Pygmies with a blowgun.

Playing drums was a breeze after that. Were there times that pi$$ed me off, OOOOOOHHHHHH YEAH, But show me any job, career, whatever you want to call it, where everyday goes exactly like you planned it.

I made good money, had a ball for 30+ years, was able to get out when I wanted, and have no regrets about it.

Paul Allen lives a life that we could only dream of. He owns the Seattle Seahawks and the Portland Trailblazers, and, I think he also owns where they play. He owns 1 of the biggest yachts in the world, and $100,000,000 is pocket change to him. He can do anything he wants, whenever he feels like it, and he has days that don't go right.

So there's not much for me to complain about.

User Info Menu

I was a road drummer in the very early eighties. It was a pain in the rear end in a lot of ways, particularly problems that arise from living and travelling in close quarters with others. Outside of that though, the performing was a lot of fun, and there remains a ton of fond memories.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Off topic for a second.

Delivering oil in the Jersey winters, pulling that hose up 10 stairs, then around and through a alleyway covered with ice, to get to a backyard covered in snow, then stand in that yard in the rain and/or sleet.

Oh man I hear you Rick.
    I did that for three years driving for Standard Oil. Pulling that 200' hose threw 3' of snow was one heck of a work out. And sitting on a cold fuel tank up in the air 10' froze my cheeks many a time.
    “I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”

User Info Menu

I've never played drums for a living but have heard a lot from my brother that has made his living playing music ever since I can remember and is still doing it today although he's not on the road anymore, more casual now.

I wanted to be Alex Van Halen before I ever even got my first drums. One thing i know is this. Everything is easier when you're younger and that is the time to go all in to try and make it a living. A younger person can probably tolerate more and if the band gets extremely "lucky" and has staying power then the starving where do i sleep days will be over once they start to get older and care more. That's how I see it if someone wants to make a living in a band with any instrument

If someone just loves doing it and doesn't mind going through the revolving band door then that's great. If someone can become a session drummer than that's probably even better (Hal Blaine)
    Last edited by slinky; 12-21-2014 at 09:43 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Hobby only could not see myself starving to death like a lot of drummers or musician have. I worked hard most of my life now I am enjoying the benefits of it.

User Info Menu

Yes. It's a blast. But it's A LOT of work and I sacrifice a lot to do so.... and I don't most folks here would enjoy it.

Of course there's the little things that anyone self-employed deals with like health benefits, sick days and paid vacation etc. But the biggest thing I sacrifice that I hate the most is the time home TOGETHER with my family.

I recently "took" a break from an every Sunday House band Jam gig that I'd been doing since 2007. I've gone back and done the gig a few times since then, but am not looking to go back any time soon. I simply need that day off. My kids are getting big and I want to spend the time with them on that day.

For a couple years there I was gigging every TUE,WED, some Thursdays, every FRI, SAT & SUN. I was burnt.....even though I'm in a FUN band with good guys and a good book of business.

Even still...I have no desire to play 5, even 4 nights a week any longer. Now it's usually 3 nights a week, sometime 4. I prefer that much better.

The most difficult part of the teaching aspect is of course sourcing new students. I've got close to 30 students, and don't need to "look" for new students as aggressively as I used to. I get a lot of referrals and have been doing it locally for quite some time. It pretty much takes care of itself. I don't have a high turnover either, so I'm not filling open spots very often. I could probably fit more lessons in if I had more "availability" at home. But the balance is good for now.

It comes down to passion. If your passionate about what you do, you'll never work a day in your life. Of course....tell that to my back and knees at 3am.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PopsOldSkins View Post
    Off topic for a second.

Delivering oil in the Jersey winters, pulling that hose up 10 stairs, then around and through a alleyway covered with ice, to get to a backyard covered in snow, then stand in that yard in the rain and/or sleet.

Oh man I hear you Rick.
    I did that for three years driving for Standard Oil. Pulling that 200' hose threw 3' of snow was one heck of a work out. And sitting on a cold fuel tank up in the air 10' froze my cheeks many a time.

Pops,

Standing on top of the truck to load it was brutal. Our main pick-up was right off the water with a 40-50 MPH wind that didn't stop till the end of March. Plus you got the vapor that sprayed as the truck was loading so you smelled like a oil drum.

They are not fond memories, and I worked for 2 brothers who were the best guys to work for that you could want.

User Info Menu

Off the drumming topic, as I have nothing to add to it, but I have found, especially as a physically challenged person, that as time goes on, EVERYTHING gets harder. I have a desk job, mainly, and just the act of getting up every day, getting dressed, driving to the office, then getting up to my cube, can be a huge effort. It truly gets harder almost every day.

I would expect, as pointed out, that once you take something that you used to love when you did it completely on your own terms, and then turn it into something that now requires routine attention because it is now your livelihood, would make that thing you loved less wonderful. However, everything is relative. I used to think that being able to make a living doing portrait photography would be a dream job. Now, I don't have the physical strength to even do that as a means to make a living, even if I thought it was doable from a business perspective.

Sorry for taking this off topic, but I thought it was kind of relevant...
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

I couldn't see myself as a professional drummer. Reason, I love it too much. I know that sounds crazy and I'm sure there are plenty of 'perfect situation' stories out there, but I think those are the exception to the rule.

I used to make a living in the hunting/fishing industry and at one time for a nationally syndicated hunting/fishing show. As such, I got to hunt and fish - a lot. 99% of the time though, it involved a stupid camera and I grew to hate it. Hunting (specifically) became so much work and zero fun that I literally hated when hunting season came around. That's when I left that industry forever. Now, I love it again.

I don't know if I would have the same experience in music, but I'm not willing to take that chance. Heck, I doubt I'm qualified anyway...

Tex

User Info Menu

I knew after being a pro roadie for two years that I could never live on the road as a musician.............even though we worked five times harder than the band ever did. I did full-time drumming gigs for a couple of years too and it was not for me.

For most of us, being your own roadie and playing the gig too is a very tough job. These days, I still love to gig, just not for a living.
    I make a comfortable living for my family in another way and write/play/enjoy the music as a side thing.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Great replies everyone. I think everyone gets it. Once it goes from hobby to full time, it takes some of the fun out of it and becomes more like other jobs. There's a price to pay for everything. Even with material things, there's that old saying, "What you own, owns you", because it's more to take care of.

Anyway, in comparison, it's still better than a lot of things I could be doing (like the oil job Rick was talking about in the middle of Winter). Indeed everything is relative, that's why it pays to start off with something that you really enjoy doing.

User Info Menu

I know professional cooks that never cook at home, contractors that never work on their own houses, mechanics that never fix their own cars, etc.. I think the key is moderation and balance in life. Besides, I could never sustain a life on the road, be it a salesman, musician or whatever. I love being at home with family and friends and having stability. Money is over-rated anyway.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

"Money is over-rated anyway."

Not really Brian, not really. It can't buy you happiness, but lets you pick your misery.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Money is over-rated anyway.
    Money cant buy you happiness
    But...
    Id rather cry in a mercedes than on a bike.
    Last edited by Northern Redneck; 12-21-2014 at 09:48 PM.

User Info Menu

I kinda got the feeling of losing the fun of drumming myself, and that was the year I studied music after college, at a higher grade school (kinda hard to explain, as the norwegian school system varies a bit from outside countries). Anyway, I got in after a good audition, and planned on doing as good as I could, maybe take all the 3 years that was possible to take at that place. I quit after barely a year, biggest reason was that to me, it simply was not fun anymore. Read theory every day, learn everything about tonal and rythmic composition, as well as drum practice you "had to do". It might relate a bit to what you all are saying about everything can become a simple routine, and you have to have a really good focus and drive to really enjoy it.

I have dreamed for years about playing drums for a living, but as of what I know now, I think the best thing for me is to have it as a hobby/secondary income beside my regular job. I love my home life too much (as well as my girlfriend, who unfortunately does not want to go see us play all that much). One of my 2 bands are really trying hard to grow larger, and there are some signs that we might get to play bigger venues soon, but I sincerely hope (!) that it won't become anything too big. Like touring for a longer period. One week, maybe two, fine. I really enjoy playing gigs, but at the same time, I need home time by myself. So my aspirations for my band(s) now are mainly making some good records, and try to play a bit more outside our local community, in some bigger venues.
    Last edited by Marius84; 12-22-2014 at 02:52 AM.

Pearl Masters BCX in Piano Black (birch), 22x18"x2/10x8"/12x9"/13x10"/14x14"/16x16"
    Snares: 14x6" Tama Starphonic Bronze, 13x5" Mapex Black Panther DL Cherry Bomb
    Paiste cymbals, Vic Firth sticks, Evans heads

User Info Menu

It's nice to hear from all the drummers in Europe. I've had the pleasure of visiting Italy, Denmark, France, Sweden and Switzerland. Want to go back and see more Norway, England, Ireland... the girls are so friendly too, very friendly

This is a pretty good article on being a member of a major symphony orchestra. $2000 a week! 10 weeks paid vacation! I had no idea. I wonder if an orchestral musician is micro managed.

http://www.yeodoug.com/articles/text/procon.html
    Last edited by slinky; 12-22-2014 at 08:07 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I pursued teaching in college so that I could do music on the weekends and during the summers if I wanted to. Looking back, I'm glad that I did this. I'm off on nights and weekends, I see my family every night, and I have the weekends free to play music if I want to. Oh yeah, there's a steady income as well. I'm not saying that my path is for everyone, but it works for me.

User Info Menu

I hesitated to respond to this thread for a bit as I wasn't sure if my particular situation applies.

I'm retired from my day job, so music isn't and wasn't my career. But for the past five years it's been the only work that I've done. I play hand percussion in two bands and drums in two others. I teach drum lessons to a hand full of students every week and flip gear.

So, although it was not and is not a career as such, it is now a business. I'm happy to say that if I quit gigging and teaching we would still be able to live. The money that I make from music goes back into gear for the most part. Which is how an old retired guy like me can afford to have the over the top music gear that I do.

Which brings me back to the original question...

Is a drumming career fun for me?

Yes.

I'm still having fun. I only get involved in projects at this point with people that I enjoy hanging with and also respect as musicians. I'm even picky about the students that I take.

I play music that I like.

If it ever stops being fun, I'll just walk away.

As detailed in another thread I am getting to REALLY dislike hauling gear. That is the only downside that I currently have in what I do.
    -Mike

"We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing."

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

"Snare drums happen."

User Info Menu

Came to a fork in the road 30 years ago when it came to down to carriers. Decided on the "behind the scenes" aspect of the entertainment industry rather than being in the limelight for two reasons.

#1. Realized I'd never survive as a fulltime drummer. Don't have the natural born talent like many do to make it.
    #2. Suspected back in high school that a degree in communications would get me further than a degree in music.

After reading what Tom had to say about the life of a professional drummer, I think by keeping drumming as a hobby for the last 25+ years has made it fun for me. Just hauling gear as a weekend warrior is hard. Looking back, I can't imagine doing it full time now that I've hit 54.
    Last edited by late8; 12-22-2014 at 11:54 PM.