Thread: When do you call a stick dead?

User Info Menu

Default When do you call a stick dead?

When I first started playing, I'd go through sticks pretty quickly. Over time, my technique has improved, and therefore my sticks last a lot longer. However, I still get the occasional chipped tip. I was just practicing at home, and I must have nicked a cymbal edge or something, because I just chipped a tip on a pair of Regal Tips, that I really like.

So it made me wonder, how many of you continue to play sticks with chipped tips, and who calls that a dead stick?

Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
    "I shall either find a way or make one"

User Info Menu

Default Re: When do you call a stick dead?

For me it's perspective. If I feel a tip will damage a drum head, it's done. I've even played with cracked, broken and whittled in the middle sticks until they flex and bend to the point there's no power left in them.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I'll continue to use a stick for practice purposes until it's pretty much split in half. I'll use new sticks if I'm playing a gig.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    For me it's perspective. If I feel a tip will damage a drum head, it's done.
    I'm thinking if I take a file to the tip and just lightly dress it out, it'll be fine for a practice stick. But like Cdeleone said, I'll use new sticks for a gig.

User Info Menu

I noticed chipped tips leave sharp dents in my heads. Must be from the exposed vertical grain that run down the stick. Are your sticks hickory? Try switching to a maple stick if you use hickory. I tried the switch and found the maple sticks too soft but the tips lasted longer than hickory. I switched over to nylon tips.

User Info Menu

There! I filed away any rough edges. Almost good as new.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I noticed chipped tips leave sharp dents in my heads. Must be from the exposed vertical grain that run down the stick. Are your sticks hickory? Try switching to a maple stick if you use hickory. I tried the switch and found the maple sticks too soft but the tips lasted longer than hickory. I switched over to nylon tips.
    Honestly, I don't know if these are maple or hickory. I think hickory. They are Regal Tip Jason Sutter "Chopsticks". I did get a pair of Regal Tip 5BX nylon tips as well. I just prefer wood tips. But if the tips keep chipping, maybe I'll make the switch.

User Info Menu

I eliminated the worry and hassle by switching to nylon tipped sticks. Love the sound on my ride and the added durability.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

I'll continue to use my sticks until they snap. It depends what stick tip you use. I use promark 7a, and the tips are perfect. When I use vic firth's, the tips chip within a few sessions.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I use sticks until they break. I prefer nylon tip sticks so the tips are never a problem.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xweasel View Post
    I use sticks until they break. I prefer nylon tip sticks so the tips are never a problem.
    Same here. And I always have 220 grit sandpaper nearby to smooth the tips out when they get sharp edges on them.

User Info Menu

As soon as they dont feel right anymore I get rid of them.

User Info Menu

I use em till they break. I've used some beauts at practice. I don't like to but really try to get my moneys worth out of them. For shows nothing but new in the stick bag.
    Last edited by slinky; 12-23-2014 at 10:15 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I get rid of them when I notice a change in weight due to loss of wood (yeah, I said loss of wood). Tips never an issue since I use nylon.

User Info Menu

I've pretty much gotten to the point where I only dent heads when playing with sticks that have chipped tips. So, when I chip a tip, that stick goes in the kindling bucket.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    I notice a change in weight due to loss of wood .

User Info Menu

It is for this exact reason my switch from nylon tips didn't last that long.
    PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

User Info Menu

I toss chipped tips, also sometimes the sticks get bent from rimshots so I'll toss them after that and whenever they just don't feel right they get burned in the next bonfire.
    Wear hearing protection.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    As soon as they dont feel right anymore I get rid of them.
    +1

or if the chipped tips no longer sound consistent on the ride cymbal ... no nylon tips for me ...

User Info Menu

I tend to lose sticks, more so than anything.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

I use mine till they are whittled down to a flimsy state, or if the tip is damaged I discard them immediately. I don't want to damage my heads.

User Info Menu

I used to go through sticks like crazy, then I began playing with bands with a lighter sound and it seemed like sticks lasted forever.

A little over a year ago I started playing in a classic rock/oldies act, I'm chewing up sticks faster than a caffeine addicted beaver these days.

I play them in practice until they are pretty chewed up, but I always use fresh sticks for gigs.
    -Mike

"We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing."

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

"Snare drums happen."

User Info Menu

I just use them until they don't feel or sound right anymore. I've never had tips chip in a way that created a sharp edge, maybe it's just because of the tip on the sticks I use.

User Info Menu

Tried Nylon didn't like the sound or feel. I use wood all the time and just change them up when I feel they are done. Had problems with Dave weckel sticks but Changed to Ringo star sig and they seem to last. Also have used and still do sometimes Daniel Adair sticks. I think its up to you when you stop using and nothing wrong with sanding a chip so you get more use outta them.
    So whats so wrong with laughing. Some need to learn to laugh

User Info Menu

I use nylon tips so I don't have to worry about chipped tips. I use a pair of sticks until they break or crack.
    Matt