Thread: Upgrading

User Info Menu

Default Upgrading

I am looking at a Yamaha Stage Custom Nouveau drum set to replace the Coda POS beginner set I have been playing for the past 4 years. I am not the most proficient drummer in the world but I can hold my own and I am looking for something that sounds great and will hold together for a while too. I looked at a pdp x7, as well as a Tama Superstar, and have sort of settled on the Yamaha. Can anyone tell me whether its worth getting and what sort of problems it is known for or known to avoid. Even if you would like to suggest something else I am happy to hear your suggestions on what I should upgrade to but my price limit is $1000

User Info Menu

First of all, welcome to Drum Chat Craigory! When I bought my Gretsch Catalina maple set, I had seriously considered the Yamaha Stage Custom Advantage set. I fell in love with the sound of an all maple shell, and the Stage Custom Advantage was a mixture of woods. I also know that the drum hoops are 1.6 mm on the Yammies, while my Gretsch set has 2.5 mm hoops.

Just for your consideration, in case you hadn't considered the Gretsch Catalina series, is the fact that I could get a 6 piece set (free 16x16 floor tom) - although it's a shell pack - for $699. That might give you an opportunity to upgrade some cymbals.

Just some thoughts for you. I'm sure there will be others!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I'd say that in this price range you really can't go wrong. I'll take just about any brand in that price range. As far as looks go, I DO like the Superstar's fade finishes (especially the blue). Only thing I don't really like on them is their black mounting system....I'd prefer chrome to match the rims. That's just me though. Blessings........

User Info Menu

i'm with pastor bob here. the gretsch catalina beats out anything i have heard in the under 1k catagory. not alot of finish choices, but they cant be beat for tone and value. the stage custom is also a great kit. there is a used one sitting in my local shop. it has some ply seperation on a couple drums, but by the looks of the rest of the kit i would guess its more a matter of misuse and abuse than defect.

User Info Menu

Welcome craigory!!!!
    Good to see you there!
    I will say to go for gretsch.As the other guys said the yamaha stage custom is a good kit but i will prepfer gretsch.
    Just love the drums and they will love you too!!!

User Info Menu

Craigory, I just saw a Gretsch Catalina kit in birch on the Musician's Friend website for something in the $400 range. I know the birch is being discontinued, but if you like the sound of birch, and many around here do (I prefer the sound of maple drum shells), this might be the deal you are looking for. Of course, you would also have to decide is you like the finish. Might be worth taking a look though.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Bought the drum set, will post the pictures.

User Info Menu

Good deal! We'll look forward to the pics!