Thread: Do you use your O Zone or EFX as a crash or a china?

User Info Menu

Default Do you use your O Zone or EFX as a crash or a china?

Thinking of picking up an HHX O Zone. Love the sound - trashy, white noise with a quick decay. My question to those that have been playing an o zone or EFX for a while, do you use it more like a crash or like the occasional china accent?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Do you use your O Zone or EFX as a crash or a china?

I've owned a variety of these (Sabian 16" B8 Pro and AAX, Zildjian 14" A Custom and 16" K) and it really depended on the cymbal in question for me. The 14" Zildjian was a lot like a regular crash, so I used it as one. The 16" B8 Pro was very loud and cutting, so I used it as a crash much less, actually I played that cymbal with the tip of the stick a lot for accents during ride parts to add some other sound colors.
    Basically, I recommend experimenting with the cymbal you get. Some of these are closer to a crash sound, and some are more of a china sound. Some are more mellow, some are not. So depending on factors like that, and what sort of music you play, you may use it a lot, or very little.

User Info Menu

I have a 16" Sabian AAX Ozone that I use more as a crash than a china. It's not as harsh as some of the other effects cymbals. It's mostly used as a crash with very little sustain. I imagine the HHX will be very similar.
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
    "I shall either find a way or make one"

User Info Menu

I've got an HHX Ozone, I prefer em over China cymbals due to the lack of gonginess. That being said, I use it like a crash, I don't heavily ride it or anything though.