Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gibraltar Hardware

User Info Menu

Default Gibraltar Hardware

I continue to be amazed by the products Gibraltar puts on the market. They are of excellent quality and durability. Today I got a 9608 drum throne. Tomorrow i'm going out to buy another boom stand.
    Last edited by FlyByNight; 12-26-2014 at 02:34 PM. Reason: I
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Default Re: Gibraltar Hardware

I couldn't agree more! Gibraltar makes some amazing gear. both of my thrones are Gibraltar. One is the Softy Throne, which I bought new a couple years ago, and is still as comfy as the day I got it. The other one is an older Gibraltar model that I can't seem to find any information about. It has an inflatable inner tube inside the seat, and is even more comfortable than the Softy. Any time I need hardware, I look to Gibraltar.
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
    "I shall either find a way or make one"

User Info Menu

Agree completely. I have a lot of Gibraltar stuff and it's all top quality.

Tex

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Agree completely. I have a lot of Gibraltar stuff and it's all top quality.

Tex
    Likewise. I think they are a subsiduary of Gretsch but I'm not sure. Top notch stuff.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Gibraltar is owned ultimately by Fender.
    Gibraltar is under Kaman Music (which also owns Gretsch and Sabian).
    Fender owns Kaman.

User Info Menu

I bought the 9608 throne just before Thanksgiving. I used it for one gig and several practice sessions. Originally, I was very impressed with the quality. However, I'm having issues keeping the clamps tight on the threaded post...both at the top where the seat clamps and also at the base. After a couple sets, the seat wobbles and the top spins. I suspect I tend to twist my hips when I use the floor tom and it works loose. I can't believe it, with all the clamps and stops they put on this thing. I'm afraid the aluminum clamp on the seat bottom will chew itself up and I'll be back where I was with my old Tama throne.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I bought the 9608 throne just before Thanksgiving. I used it for one gig and several practice sessions. Originally, I was very impressed with the quality. However, I'm having issues keeping the clamps tight on the threaded post...both at the top where the seat clamps and also at the base. After a couple sets, the seat wobbles and the top spins. I suspect I tend to twist my hips when I use the floor tom and it works loose. I can't believe it, with all the clamps and stops they put on this thing. I'm afraid the aluminum clamp on the seat bottom will chew itself up and I'll be back where I was with my old Tama throne.
    On my throne, the threading does not go all the way up. The seat clamps onto the smooth round top. I also use the memory lock to hold the bottom pole in place.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    On my throne, the threading does not go all the way up. The seat clamps onto the smooth round top. I also use the memory lock to hold the bottom pole in place.
    Mines the same way. It has a groove around it at the top and the clamp grips in the groove.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Most of my hardware is DW (rack and accessories), however, Gibraltar makes a much larger variety of hardware. When I was looking for a 'single leg' snare attachment, I found that DW does not make such an item, and Gibraltar does, along with a more appropriate clamp, and that hardware integrated perfectly with the rest of my rack. I'm very impressed with the higher end Gibraltar stuff (some lower end Gibraltar items, such as a 'regular' snare stand, I didn't find as nice, in terms of quality and versatility, compared to a [admittedly much more expensive] DW snare stand).
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

I've owned various Gibraltar items and as far as I remember I've never had an issue with any of it. Most of my hardware is Yamaha now though, the only Gibraltar stuff I have left are cymbal stackers, various L-rods and percussion mounts, a stick holder, several cymbal boom mounts that attach onto existing boom rods, trap table, and a grabber cymbal arm.
    However I've heard many complaints about some of their stands and thrones, not sure if it's a quality control issue, poorly-made products to begin with, or people not knowing what they are doing when using the products. I suspect it's a mix of all 3 (depending on the situation of course).
    Another thing, Sound Percussion, Guitar Center's in-store hardware brand, is made by Gibraltar. It's mostly their lower level stands, although the clamps are equal to the name-brand Gibraltar versions.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by angus242 View Post
    Fender owns Kaman.
    Gibraltar hardware packs are standard for current Gretsch Drums kits

User Info Menu

Question Re: Gibraltar Hardware

Are you sure that your threaded seat post is not turned upside down? As others have noted, the threaded part of the post should not extend into the aluminum seat base. Something is not right.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

this is the correct 9608 base. you can see the smooth groove at the top where the seat latches on to. If the seat were to come loose and swivel around, the seat would still be sturdy.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I'm not sure which model Tama throne you have/had but on my Tama Ergorider throne there are plastic inserts placed in the aluminium clamp on the seat bottom -
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Perhaps you can make some of your own from pieces of old leather/bicycle inner tube or similar - the inserts hold the seat rock solid.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post

this is the correct 9608 base. you can see the smooth groove at the top where the seat latches on to. If the seat were to come loose and swivel around, the seat would still be sturdy.
    Yep, that's exactly how mine is. The shaft is a slip fit in the seat base, so there needs to be some clearance built in to it (otherwise it wouldn't need a clamp at all). It's not a tight & precise fit....so when the clamp gets loose, the seat can wobble slightly on the post. I have to re-tighten it after every set.

Quote Originally Posted by crispycritters View Post
    I'm not sure which model Tama throne you have/had but on my Tama Ergorider throne there are plastic inserts placed in the aluminium clamp on the seat bottom -
    Perhaps you can make some of your own from pieces of old leather/bicycle inner tube or similar - the inserts hold the seat rock solid.
    My Tama throne is from the late '80s. It has a solid steel shaft (weights about 40Lbs) and uses a large T-bolt to tighten the seat to the shaft. The pot metal receptical on the bottom of the seat is all "waller'd out". That's a technical engineering term....
    -Brian

User Info Menu

I own so much Gibraltar. I love their stuff

User Info Menu

Fender owns Kaman.
    Sabian is NOT a company held by KMC/Fender. Since the passing of Robert Zildjian last year, Sabian is run by Andy Zildjian which is where Robert Zildjian got part of the company name using his kid's names: Sally, Bill and Andy (a nickname for Armand).

Fender is the distributor of Sabian cymbals in the U.S.
    Last edited by late8; 12-30-2014 at 10:57 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Sabian is NOT a company held by KMC/Fender.
    My bad. However, the Wiki page for KMC does show Sabian under their umbrella. I know, I know....just because it's on the internet...

User Info Menu

My bad. However, the Wiki page for KMC does show Sabian under their umbrella. I know, I know....just because it's on the internet...

Understood, it probably hasn't been updated for a while.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Sabian is NOT a company held by KMC/Fender. Since the passing of Robert Zildjian last year, Sabian is run by Andy Zidjian which is where Robert Zildjian got part of the company name using his kid's names: Sally, Bill and Andy (a nickname for Armand).

I never knew that thank you

User Info Menu

Sabian is NOT a company held by KMC/Fender. Since the passing of Robert Zildjian last year, Sabian is run by Andy Zidjian which is where Robert Zildjian got part of the company name using his kid's names: Sally, Bill and Andy (a nickname for Armand).

Yes, as I understand it, both Zildjian and Sabian are still family owned and have not yet sold out to the holding companies. I hope that it stays that way ...

I was talking to the owner of a music store down the road this past weekend and she told me that KMC is the distributor for Sabian "drumset" cymbals and that Pearl is the distributor of their orchestral and band related products.

However, given that Fender owns KMC, I guess one could say that Fender is an indirect distributor for Sabian.
    Last edited by dangermoney; 12-29-2014 at 10:38 PM.

User Info Menu

I have one of their double pedals from when the double pedal boom was just beginning. It did the job but the action is slower than doubles of today including Gibraltar's new pedals. Still have it.
    Last edited by slinky; 01-22-2015 at 07:27 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Which is better a pearl snare stand or gibraltar snare stand

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by adamgdog View Post
    Which is better a pearl snare stand or gibraltar snare stand
    Quality wise? Probably a wash. Which one has the features and the price you want? That's the question. They will each hold up your snare drum sufficiently.

User Info Menu

I have one of there hi-hat stands as well and it is awesome