Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Rewrapping my drums - progress thread

User Info Menu

Default Re: Rewrapping my drums - progress thread

oh yeah I see it now, nice! The hoops look really good too.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Update:

Oh, you thought I was done? Nope. Still have the snare to do!

Ok, so here's the deal. I was going to wrap my snare in something different; however, they sent me the Super Mario wrap for the snare instead. I got in touch with them to tell them that they sent the wrong wrap, but they let me keep this one! So, I decided to go ahead and do a matching snare wrap and use the other one for another snare. Score!

I had stripped the hardware off a couple of weeks ago, so I applied the wrap like usual and started applying the hardware:

Ok, so I decided to go ahead and re-mount the badge. The snare badge did not have screws into the corners the way the tom badges did; the snare badge was just held down with double-sided tape. The double-sided tape that I bought was not strong enough to hold the corners down, so I put a little drop of superglue down at each corner, and with a little ingenuity, I was able to clamp all of the corners down with my super-short clamps:

So here's the picture after the clamping. The corners are now flush!

I added the new vent grommet as well. I actually had to ream out the shell a little more so the new grommet would fit. I forgot to take pics of it in addition the finished snare. So, I'm done! It was a great process that took way longer than I thought, but I couldn't be happier with the results! I have my first band practice with a new group this Thursday, and I'm curious as to how everyone will react to the new finish. It should be a lot of fun!

Also, my father-in-law is a professional photographer, so I'm hoping to get some nice, high-res pics of the whole kit soon!

I would not hesitate AT ALL to use Bum Wrap Drum Co. again. They make a great product that's easy to install. I had no idea that it would be this simple, and I'm glad that I did it. Once again, the majority of the work is in the prep work; well, I know it was for me anyways. If anyone has any additional comments or questions, let me know!
    Last edited by porkpieguy; 01-10-2015 at 09:07 PM.

User Info Menu

The badge is in the perfect spot! Looks great!
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

For those who are interested.

User Info Menu

Hey Porkpieguy!!
    This thread has totally inspired me to begin my own project. Grabbed a very good little Sound Percussion kit in black. Boring.
    Emailed Bum Wrap. Three hours later I had a custom wrap waiting for me. Actually, they created two different wraps based on an animal pic I provided. Amazing that they don't charge extra for one of a kind custom wraps!

Hey Rickthedrummer!
    If that goof ball in the video can do it, I'm pretty sure I can struggle through. He got great results, I must say. Almost turned me to a finish like that in a different color.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

Oh, and when my 18 y/o son came in the room and saw your kit, he blurted out "That's sick as f*#@!"
    I had to laugh.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

My problem is it's going to take me several years just to decide on a finish for my project. It's a bummer they can't do glitters or sparkles though...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny G View Post
    Oh, and when my 18 y/o son came in the room and saw your kit, he blurted out "That's sick as f*#@!"
    I had to laugh.
    That's awesome. I'm glad he likes it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    My problem is it's going to take me several years just to decide on a finish for my project. It's a bummer they can't do glitters or sparkles though...
    Really no glitters or sparkles huh??

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Really no glitters or sparkles huh??
    No, they are very upfront about it. I suppose it's because they print the graphics and there are no real metal flakes to sparkle. They could probably create something from a picture of a sparkle, but it wouldn't be the same.

User Info Menu

Jammin' Sam has Glass Glitter wraps available.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny G View Post
    If that goof ball in the video can do it, I'm pretty sure I can struggle through. He got great results, I must say. Almost turned me to a finish like that in a different color.
    That guy is a goof ball. However, I will have to say that I've been working through a few of his grooves and fills. His drumming sounds like what I want to sound like in terms of gooves and fills. If you go to youtube and do a search for Vanz Drumming, you get a ton of his stuff.

The most difficult part of it is the prep work. Wrapping is easy, but it's all of the removing hardware and old wrap that's difficult.

User Info Menu

I spoke to the guys at Bumwrap today and am getting my short list of 100 or so possible designs for my first kit. I will be posting the finalists here to get opinions, then once that's done, I'll ignore the input and get exactly what I want... LOL!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    I spoke to the guys at Bumwrap today and am getting my short list of 100 or so possible designs for my first kit. I will be posting the finalists here to get opinions, then once that's done, I'll ignore the input and get exactly what I want... LOL!
    That's exactly what I did. Just get what you want and what you are most excited about. I know my wrap is not for everyone, but it was perfect for me.

User Info Menu

For those who are interested.
    I didn't realize there was only a glue strip at the end. He makes it look easy. Maybe I should wrap a snare or 2.
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by porkpieguy View Post
    That's exactly what I did. Just get what you want and what you are most excited about. I know my wrap is not for everyone, but it was perfect for me.
    Very unique taste Martin, that's for sure