Thread: Review: Pork Pie Little Squealer Dark Cherry Birch/Mahogany with 24" kick

User Info Menu

Default Review: Pork Pie Little Squealer Dark Cherry Birch/Mahogany with 24" kick

The Little Squealer line started out as snare drums and has moved into full kits. Pork Pie offers two types of Little Squealer shell packs; one is 100% maple and the second kit is a combination of birch and mahogany, both kits are made in Taiwan.

The birch/mahogany dark cherry kit comes configured as follows:

7x14" snare
    10x13" rack tom
    16x16" floor tom
    18x24" bass drum

The Little Squealer comes with Remo UT (Taiwan) drum heads. The rack tom and snare comes stock with coated Ambassadors over clear Emperors and the 24" bass drum comes with a PS3 clear batter with a black PS3 non-ported reso.

I decided to swap out the Remo Taiwan heads with Aquarian Super 2 coated batters over Aquarian Classic clear reso and the improvement was very noticeable.

10x13" rack tom has a very clear and focused tone. Birch provides a powerful punch but add mahogany into the equation and tone warms up and has just a bit of a ring and quick decay.

The 24" kick thumps. The stock heads were swapped out for an Aquarian SKII clear batter with an Aquarian Black Regulator with a 4.5" port. The stock bass drum heads, in my opinion, gave the kick too much of a boomy sound but the Aquarian heads with the dampening rings on both batter and reso gave the kick the thump it needed to cut through the bass guitar.

Took the kit out on its first gig tonight and got a big thumbs up from the guys in the band. The 24" kick plays perfect without a mic in a small venue. It has enough punch to keep up with the bass guitar. The real surprise was the 7x14" matching snare. With the stock heads swapped out for an Aquarian Super 2 coated and a Classic clear snare reso, the snare has a wicked crack to it with just enough ring to make you want to drop a piece of moongel or top it off with a dampening ring. Leave it wide open and the ring hangs out a bit too long for my tastes.

Conclusion:

For a mid-level offering from Pork Pie, the Little Squealer Birch/Mahogany Dark Cherry w/24" kick is well worth the money. In my opinion, the stock Remo Taiwan heads don't do this kit any justice. Swap out the stockers with your favorite heads and this kit comes alive. A 4pc. shell pack with a 24" kick and a matching snare for $917 USD shipped was too good to pass up. The birch/mahogany combo is good if you want to hear something rather unique and different.
    Last edited by late8; 12-29-2014 at 09:44 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Review: Pork Pie Little Squealer Dark Cherry Birch/Mahogany with 24" kick

Nice review, glad your liking the kit. Now you need to get the Pork Pie Rug
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Default Re: Review: Pork Pie Little Squealer Dark Cherry Birch/Mahogany with 24" kick

Very nice! Beautiful kit. My old Premiers are Birch/Mahogany. I wonder if the sound is comparable.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Thanks for the review. Glad you like them.

User Info Menu

Glad the kit worked out for you. I bet they sounded awesome in that room with the stone walls and concrete floor ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Nice review, glad your liking the kit. Now you need to get the Pork Pie Rug
    hahaha...no way!

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Very nice! Beautiful kit. My old Premiers are Birch/Mahogany. I wonder if the sound is comparable.
    Wow..that's right Brian, the XPK's are made with the same combination. I had my eye on a used XPK on CL a day before I pulled the trigger on this kit. I like this sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks4drums View Post
    Thanks for the review. Glad you like them.
    You're welcome sticks. I wasn't too sure at first but man...with new heads..Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by dangermoney View Post
    Glad the kit worked out for you. I bet they sounded awesome in that room with the stone walls and concrete floor ...
    Playing again tonight danger. Whoa the 24" kick next to the brick wall had a nice thump!! My first time ever using a 24" kick....man I've been missing out!!
    Last edited by late8; 12-27-2014 at 01:47 PM.

User Info Menu

2nd night out, the kit sounded even better....

User Info Menu

Nice review, Late. Gorgeous kit too.

Tex

User Info Menu

Thanks for the review Rich............makes me want a 24"!

Some pretty ladies at the show!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    makes me want a 24"!

+1
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nice review, Late. Gorgeous kit too.

Tex
    Thanks Tex!

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    Thanks for the review Rich............makes me want a 24"!

Welcome Butch! If I could start over, I'd go all 24" on the kicks. Thought the height of the 24" would be an problem but the 13" rack tom sits in a pretty good spot. A second tom in a 2 up 1 down set up would be an issue for me I think.

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    +1

User Info Menu

that a great pic

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

I own a Perfect Little Squeeler snare drum and it's by far my favorite... I am actually a big Pork Pie fan as I own four of their snare drums. I have yet though to have the privileged of owning one of their kits, just snares. I'm very jealous. Great review.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I own a Perfect Little Squeeler snare drum and it's by far my favorite... I am actually a big Pork Pie fan as I own four of their snare drums. I have yet though to have the privileged of owning one of their kits, just snares. I'm very jealous. Great review.
    Thanks spaz!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Riouel View Post
    that a great pic
    Thanks Ricky!!
    Last edited by late8; 01-09-2015 at 01:11 PM.

User Info Menu

Good stuff, Rich. Gorgeous kit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    Good stuff, Rich. Gorgeous kit.
    Thanks Mark!!!

User Info Menu

I think i'd like to review that blonde in the ugg boots.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    I think i'd like to review that blonde in the ugg boots.
    +1
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

added a few pieces for fun...

User Info Menu

Aww, you have the reso logo on the rack tom lined up CORRECTLY with the badge. You line up the logos because you care! THANK YOU!

</OCD moment>

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    Aww, you have the reso logo on the rack tom lined up CORRECTLY with the badge. You line up the logos because you care! THANK YOU!

</OCD moment>
    Keen eye...cymbal logos drive me nuts. Only thing I can think of to make a perfect circle look crooked when they flip around during playing.