Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pink Floyd

User Info Menu

Default Pink Floyd

In my opinion, Pink Floyd is one of the greatest bands in the world. I particularly like Nick Mason's playing style. It reminds me of a laid back swing. For the band to come this far, losing members and all, it's amazing to know two members are still doing what they love to create the band's 15th studio album.

When I was in Banff for holidays this past year, a man originaly from india saw my dark side of the moon shirt. He told me he flew to england to see them on the Meddle tour in the 70s. For the band to be recognized worldwide is very impressive. It just goes to show the impact these artists have on people.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Default Re: Pink Floyd

100% agree!
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
    "I shall either find a way or make one"

User Info Menu

I like Pink Floyd too.

User Info Menu

Love the Wall, but could take or leave the rest of the library. Just find them a little too laid back. Was great in my pot years as a teen.

User Info Menu

I think that I would like Pink Floyd more if I hadn't heard a bunch of amateur bands butcher many of the classics. There's a local rock band who does a bunch of 70s rock including Pink Floyd, Eagles, etc. I think that local band ruined a lot of artists for me.

User Info Menu

MY personality is based on a Pink Floyd song.

"Comfortably Numb"
    “I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”

User Info Menu

I agree they are a great Band, no other band like them at all. The Dark side of the Moon and the Wall are the best albums but wish you were here and momentary lapse of reason are right up thee as well. I am not a big fan of the sid years.

If you ever get a chance to see australian pink floyd I highly recommend it, I have seen them twice so far and it was incredible
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I like the music they made with the classic line up. Didn't care for the post Waters stuff as much. I'm not taking anything away from Roger Gilmour, he's a good musician and song writer, but there was just something missing without the Roger Waters influence to my ears. I didn't even care for Roger Waters solo stuff. Gilmour and Waters were just a magical teem.
    Mapex Drums / Ludwig Hardware / Sabian Cymbals / Tama Pedals & Hardware / Remo and Aquarian
    Heads /
    Vic Firth Sticks

User Info Menu

Night and day between Waters and Gilmore

Waters songs were political.

Gilmore's were about life.
    “I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”

User Info Menu

I'm a strong lover of Floyd but sadly they're long past their prime.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    The Dark side of the Moon and the Wall are the best albums but Wish You Were Here and Momentary Lapse of Reason are right up there as well. I am not a big fan of the sid years.
    Agreed................although MLOR is not quite as magical as those other three............of all their great work, one of my favorite tunes is WEARING THE INSIDE OUT.............Richard Wright.............from The Division Bell.

Dark Side was on the Billboard charts for a record 741 weeks from 1973 to 1988, with an estimated 50 million copies sold..........unbelievable ! It is Pink Floyd's most commercially successful album and one of the best-selling albums worldwide.

I was very fortunate a few years back to get seats on the 11th row to see THE WALL tour in Tulsa with Roger Waters................not just a concert, but an amazing multi-media spectacle almost impossible to describe.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Love Pink Floyd. Even the stuff with Syd Barrett.

User Info Menu

In my top ten favorite bands list. At #2.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Nick Mason didn't play on many tracks on The Wall. RW used studio musicians, including Jeff Pocaro on the album. I read Nick was reading in the green room while some of the tracks were being recorded. He probably had to just put up with the difficult to please Waters.

User Info Menu

Pink Floyd is one of my favorite bands for sure. The Wall is my favorite album of all time. I'm a huge fan of all their 70s material from Meddle to The Wall. Earlier and later than that, not so much.

It absolutely kills me that I couldn't make it to The Wall tour when it came through here. I've seen videos on Youtube and it looks like it would have been incredible.

xsabers...I thought Mason played on all the tracks except for Mother? Are there others?
    Matt

User Info Menu

Love me some Pink Floyd.

Dark Side of the Moon, & The Wall especially.

User Info Menu

Pink Floyd is one of my all time favorite bands. Nick Mason's drumming fits the music like a glove.

User Info Menu

one of my favorite bands, wish you were here and animals are also pretty good albums
    Premier XPK Drums
    10, 12, 13, 14, 16 Suspended toms
    22 bass drum
    5 x 14 snare
    Premier Hardware
    Offset Double Pedal
    Sabian, Meniel cymbals
    Tama Metalworks 6.5 x 14" Black Nickel snare
    Ahead Drum Cases

User Info Menu

I'm happy to see a lot of you guys are fond of WISH YOU WERE HERE.........a very good piece of work.

I have twice read the book called SAUCERFUL OF SECRETS, which is the story of the band from the origin on through the breakup.
    There is an awful lot of material here about Syd............and as we all know, the WYWH album has an awful lot about Syd.

Below is an excerpt I stole from WIKI :

Wish You Were Here is the second Pink Floyd album to use a conceptual theme written entirely by Roger Waters. It reflects his feeling that the camaraderie that had served the band previously was, by then, largely absent. The album begins with a long instrumental preamble and segues into the lyrics for "Shine On You Crazy Diamond", a tribute to Syd Barrett, whose mental breakdown had forced him to leave the group several years before. Barrett is fondly recalled with lines such as "Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun" and "You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon".

Wish You Were Here is also a critique of the music business. "Shine On" crosses seamlessly into "Welcome to the Machine", a song that begins with an opening door (described by Waters as a symbol of musical discovery and progress betrayed by a music industry more interested in greed and success) and ends with a party, the latter epitomising "the lack of contact and real feelings between people". Similarly, "Have a Cigar" scorns record industry "fatcats"; its lyrics contain well-used clichés such as "can hardly count", "they call it riding the gravy train" and "by the way, which one's Pink?". The latter was a question asked of the band on at least one occasion. "Wish You Were Here" contains lyrics which relate not only to Barrett's condition, but also to the dichotomy of Waters' character, as an idealist, and a domineering personality. The album closes with a reprise of "Shine On" and further instrumental excursions.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    I'm happy to see a lot of you guys are fond of WISH YOU WERE HERE.........a very good piece of work.

I have twice read the book called SAUCERFUL OF SECRETS, which is the story of the band from the origin on through the breakup.
    There is an awful lot of material here about Syd............and as we all know, the WYWH album has an awful lot about Syd.

Below is an excerpt I stole from WIKI :

Wish You Were Here is the second Pink Floyd album to use a conceptual theme written entirely by Roger Waters. It reflects his feeling that the camaraderie that had served the band previously was, by then, largely absent. The album begins with a long instrumental preamble and segues into the lyrics for "Shine On You Crazy Diamond", a tribute to Syd Barrett, whose mental breakdown had forced him to leave the group several years before. Barrett is fondly recalled with lines such as "Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun" and "You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon".

Wish You Were Here is also a critique of the music business. "Shine On" crosses seamlessly into "Welcome to the Machine", a song that begins with an opening door (described by Waters as a symbol of musical discovery and progress betrayed by a music industry more interested in greed and success) and ends with a party, the latter epitomising "the lack of contact and real feelings between people". Similarly, "Have a Cigar" scorns record industry "fatcats"; its lyrics contain well-used clichés such as "can hardly count", "they call it riding the gravy train" and "by the way, which one's Pink?". The latter was a question asked of the band on at least one occasion. "Wish You Were Here" contains lyrics which relate not only to Barrett's condition, but also to the dichotomy of Waters' character, as an idealist, and a domineering personality. The album closes with a reprise of "Shine On" and further instrumental excursions.
    Shine on you crazy diamond is one of my favourite pf songs. If i'm not mistaken, after syd left, the band started to go into a more dark and progressive style which is when some of the best floyd songs were written.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    If i'm not mistaken, after syd left, the band started to go into a more dark and progressive style which is when some of the best floyd songs were written.
    You would enjoy reading the book.
    There was a period where it was a bit of a rudderless ship............even though Waters was considered the leader, it took quite a while for him to become comfortable in the new role.
    It got better about the same time Gilmour joined the band and, despite all their later differences, they worked very well together and (arguably) wrote their best stuff together. Gilmour thought highly of Waters creative production and was the creator of some extremely tasty guitar passages within those works.
    WISH YOU WERE HERE is a very good example of just that.

You will also discover that Wright was not just some keyboard guy that didn't help all this along too...........he had quite an extensive background in jazz composition and used that knowledge to create some of their signature sound.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    You would enjoy reading the book.
    There was a period where it was a bit of a rudderless ship............even though Waters was considered the leader, it took quite a while for him to become comfortable in the new role.
    It got better about the same time Gilmour joined the band and, despite all their later differences, they worked very well together and (arguably) wrote their best stuff together. Gilmour thought highly of Waters creative production and was the creator of some extremely tasty guitar passages within those works.
    WISH YOU WERE HERE is a very good example of just that.

You will also discover that Wright was not just some keyboard guy that didn't help all this along too...........he had quite an extensive background in jazz composition and used that knowledge to create some of their signature sound.
    I'll have to get the book! Who's the author?
    Last edited by FlyByNight; 12-29-2014 at 05:30 PM. Reason: I

-Mike

User Info Menu

Watching "Pink Floyd live 2005" on you tube is pretty cool..Gilmore was 59 in that video,Waters 62

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by myk View Post
    Watching "Pink Floyd live 2005" on you tube is pretty cool..Gilmore was 59 in that video,Waters 62
    Was it that long ago already? Oh my!

Acoustic & Electronic:
    Pearl Prestige World Series WLX 1988
    Tama Swingstar 1983
    Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive (Birch) 2007
    Ludwig Acrolite Snare 1976
    Ludwig Supraphonic 6.5x14" 2021
    Pearl Sensitone Elite Aluminum 5.5" and 6.5" Snare
    Pearl COB Custom Deluxe [Gladstone] (75-76) Snare
    Love Drum Co. Hammered Steel 5.5" Snare
    Roland TD-1KV

Paiste
    Accent 8"

Paiste Signature:
    6", 10" Splash
    14" Dark Crisp Hi-Hats
    14" Sound Edge Hi-Hats
    16", 17", 18",19", 20" Full Crash
    22" Symphonic Med-Heavy (use as a Ride)

Paiste Formula 602:
    22" Formula 602 Modern Essentials Ride

Paiste 2oo2:
    22" Ride
    16" Crash
    8",10" Splash

Paiste 2oo2 Big Beat:
    15" Hi-Hats
    19", 20", 21" Big Beat Multifunctional

Paiste Sound Formula:
    16" Crash
    20" Full Ride (Frankenstein)

Paiste Twenty:
    16" China

Paiste Alpha (original Swiss made):
    12" Splash

Paiste PST7:
    Medium
    16", 18" Crash
    20" Ride
    14" Hi-Hats

Sabian:
    XS20 18" China
    AA 14" Fusion Hi-Hats

User Info Menu

I just re-watched that Live 8 concert in 2005. Nick Mason has said he used a 2oo2 Ride on Dark Side of the Moon. His cymbals (from what I can make out), are all Paiste Signatures, except the 2oo2 Ride cymbal. He likes that 2oo2 Ride.

Us & Them ride cymbal sound is one of the most soothing ever recorded.

That DW kit is darn nice too.

Acoustic & Electronic:
    Pearl Prestige World Series WLX 1988
    Tama Swingstar 1983
    Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive (Birch) 2007
    Ludwig Acrolite Snare 1976
    Ludwig Supraphonic 6.5x14" 2021
    Pearl Sensitone Elite Aluminum 5.5" and 6.5" Snare
    Pearl COB Custom Deluxe [Gladstone] (75-76) Snare
    Love Drum Co. Hammered Steel 5.5" Snare
    Roland TD-1KV

Paiste