Thread: late8's Home Recording Studio Sessions

User Info Menu

Default late8's Home Recording Studio Sessions

Started working with a local musician/songwriter back in 2012 and have accumulated 16 original songs that were recorded in a converted garage that was turned into a home recording studio 15 years ago. The converted garage has enough space to hold a kit and a few keyboards and guitar amps and serves as an all-purpose jam room as well.

The Digital Workstation:

The sessions were recorded on some dated technology from the early 2000's such as the Roland 2480 and mastered on Cool Edit Pro, a software program from the same era.

Roland 2480 DAW

Drum Mics:

Hihats: Shure 57
    Snare: Shure 57
    Kick: Audix D6 or Shure Beta 52A

Overheads:
    2x-CAD 95
    AKG T-170

Last edited by late8; 12-31-2014 at 04:52 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: late8's Home Recording Studio Sessions

It looks great late. Do you have any sound clips?

User Info Menu

Click box and it will link to Photobucket for an audio clip of each kit:

Gretsch USA Customs:

Pearl Export Custom (ECX) all maple:

Gretsch '57 Renown

'67 Ludwig

Last edited by late8; 12-31-2014 at 04:50 PM.

User Info Menu

Those were great, Rich. Both the Gretsch kits sounded really good in my opinion. Did you mic those up differently? I could hear the toms much more clearly than the other kits.
    Last edited by Markadiddle; 12-31-2014 at 05:08 PM.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Very, very, cool Late!

User Info Menu

Like everything you do done right. So cool Thanks for sharing. Love the Luds
    So whats so wrong with laughing. Some need to learn to laugh

User Info Menu

very cool! sounded good

I could never convert my garage as I build racecars lol but that would be nice to build a studio!

User Info Menu

Bravo, brother!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Wow Rich all those kits sound great. It is like each song you play was made for that specific kit. You are a great drummer man.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    Those were great, Rich. Both the Gretsch kits sounded really good in my opinion. Did you mic those up differently? I could hear the toms much more clearly than the other kits.
    Thanks Mark. The mics were kept in the same placement. I agree. Both Gretsch kits sound the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Very, very, cool Late!
    Thanks Tex!

Quote Originally Posted by not him View Post
    Like everything you do done right. So cool Thanks for sharing. Love the Luds
    Thanks Larry!

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    very cool! sounded good

I could never convert my garage as I build racecars lol but that would be nice to build a studio!
    Wow..didn't know you build racecars. That's so cool spaz!

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Bravo, brother!
    Thanks Mark!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Wow Rich all those kits sound great. It is like each song you play was made for that specific kit. You are a great drummer man.
    Thanks Gilles. That's very kind of you!!

User Info Menu

I really enjoyed you sound clips late8. Thanks for sharing. Excellent recording rig and results you have there.

User Info Menu

Well I wrote a scathing, I mean complementary review and must not have hit the post button so now it's gone. In summary, overall great job. I liked the snare with the Pearl kit best. Would have liked more punch from the bass drum. On some songs, I struggled to even hear it on my headphones. I think all the kits would have benefitted from close miking the toms, except the surf groove which sounded more authentic with the minimal mic setup. I said many other wonderful and insightful things in the original review, so you'll have to use your imagination to figure out what I might have been inspired to write down...

User Info Menu

Oh and my favorite drumming was on the Pearl kit song.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nucjd View Post
    I really enjoyed you sound clips late8. Thanks for sharing. Excellent recording rig and results you have there.
    Thanks nucjd. That's huge coming from somebody with your recording experience.

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    Well I wrote a scathing, I mean complementary review and must not have hit the post button so now it's gone. In summary, overall great job. I liked the snare with the Pearl kit best. Would have liked more punch from the bass drum. On some songs, I struggled to even hear it on my headphones. I think all the kits would have benefitted from close miking the toms, except the surf groove which sounded more authentic with the minimal mic setup. I said many other wonderful and insightful things in the original review, so you'll have to use your imagination to figure out what I might have been inspired to write down...
    Thanks man...I agree about the benefit of close micing. The overheads in my opinion are too far away from the toms. I've tried to convince my recording partner about the benefits of close micing but trying to "teach" an old dog "new" tricks is tough.

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    Oh and my favorite drumming was on the Pearl kit song.
    lol! Thanks man...

User Info Menu

Good stuff Rich, was this recorded before you bought the PP's? Would have loved the hear the difference with the 24" BD.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    Good stuff Rich, was this recorded before you bought the PP's? Would have loved the hear the difference with the 24" BD.
    Thanks Butch! Yes, these recordings are a few years old. I'll be going back soon with the PP kit in a few months.

User Info Menu

Wow, that's a lovely studio you have built up! Playing was really solid in the audio too, which came out sounding great. Keep up the great work man.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Great stuff late8! Nice skills on the kit as well! Thanks for sharing.
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

Nice drumming, Rich. The kits sound great. I'd like to hear little more kick drum from those samples though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    Nice drumming, Rich. The kits sound great. I'd like to hear little more kick drum from those samples though.
    Thanks man...I totally agree Mark. I spoke with the guy who's mixing the tracks down and made the same comment to him. The drums sound too distant and maybe due to the limitations of the recording platform and the size and configuration of the room.

User Info Menu

Good job Rich! I knew if I poked around long enough I'd get to hear you playing!

I have a few questions for you.

1. Can I have your Ludwigs? (Kidding!)

2. How is that Roland 2480 holding up? The reason why I ask is because I recorded in a studio setting, and while it's a great machine, it sure does have a lot of "moving parts" so to speak (both externally and internally). I was curious as to how well it's aged.

3. Do you prefer the 2480 over something like Reaper?

4. Which kit records the best? My vote is the Gretsch, but I'm curious as to your thoughts.

5. Beta 52 or Audix D6? Which do you like the best?

6. Can I have your Ludwigs?

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by porkpieguy View Post
    Good job Rich! I knew if I poked around long enough I'd get to hear you playing!

I have a few questions for you.

2. How is that Roland 2480 holding up? The reason why I ask is because I recorded in a studio setting, and while it's a great machine, it sure does have a lot of "moving parts" so to speak (both externally and internally). I was curious as to how well it's aged.

4. Which kit records the best? My vote is the Gretsch, but I'm curious as to your thoughts.

Thanks!
    Thanks Martin!!

For you...yes.

It's holding you very well. According to the guy that owns it, he's been very happy with the investment he made nearly 10 years ago...

I don't think I'm I have enough knowledge behind this type of "all in one" DAW to make an educated guess..

Yes I agree. I think the Gretsch drums sound the best

I like the D6 better. In humble opinion, the Audix engineers had the "prosumer" in mind when they designed this mic. The difference between the D6 and the Beta 52 is at the higher frequency range. The D6 is "notched" out which in my opinion, saves the engineer from having to add some highs in post. I can hear the beater more with the D6 and the notch out in the mic probably helps

Review Quoted here-

"The Audix D6 is a 'pre-EQ'd' microphone that has a wide mid-scoop around 600Hz and peaks around 63Hz and 5kHz. So, the D6 is not a flat-response microphone in the least; it is a purpose-built microphone designed to be unique. It really brings out the slap of the beater of a kick drum while also really hitting you in the gut with the lows. It really is perfect for the modern kick drum sound and excells when bringing out the 'click' on a bass track. In fact, the D6 has become one of my favorite ways to capture bass tracks now. It really gets the clarity of each note much like a high quality DI while also injecting the right amount of air on the track to naturally soften the transients. I happen to like it a lot on a snare drum since overheads can often get the mids of the snare and I'll just need some highs and attenuated lows to emphasize the snare's presence and attack. It can be a 'splatt-y' sound, but I quite like it."

Alan Moon - Front End Audio

Yes, you can have them...
    Last edited by late8; 01-15-2015 at 04:21 PM.

User Info Menu

Looking forward to getting my Luddies!

In all seriousness though, I am a big fan of the AKG D112. I've had one for a long time, and it's currently being used on my Pork Pie kit. I never thought that there would ever be a better kick drum mic within that price range...until I recorded with the Audix D6. I told our sound tech at church that if I ended up having to take my D112 home for whatever reason, they should get the D6. I never thought I'd say something out there was better than the D112, but the Audix drum mics are really nice.

But, I have yet to hear anything better than a SM57 on a snare drum, either live or recorded.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by porkpieguy View Post
    Looking forward to getting my Luddies!

In all seriousness though, I am a big fan of the AKG D112. I've had one for a long time, and it's currently being used on my Pork Pie kit. I never thought that there would ever be a better kick drum mic within that price range...until I recorded with the Audix D6. I told our sound tech at church that if I ended up having to take my D112 home for whatever reason, they should get the D6. I never thought I'd say something out there was better than the D112, but the Audix drum mics are really nice.

But, I have yet to hear anything better than a SM57 on a snare drum, either live or recorded.
    I totally agree Martin...we're both on the same "page"!! Thanks...

User Info Menu

Dude, that's awesome!

I was saying yesterday to my guitarist who's also American how that's one minus for us, you can't do cool stuff like this when you live in an apartment :(
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22