Thread: Ludwig Breakbeats vs Sonor Safari

User Info Menu

Default Ludwig Breakbeats vs Sonor Safari

Hello all!

I'm getting a second kit for practice/small gigs and I want something that's compact. I've been looking the Ludwig Breakbeats and Sonor Safari kits.

Does anyone have any experience with these kits? I'd like to know other thoughts before I go out and look at them.

Thanks,

Fred

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ludwig Breakbeats vs Sonor Safari

[/IMG]

Its basically a small bebop kit. Set up is quick and has a small foot print. It actually has a big kit sound. I think its made out of bass wood. I dont know much about the safari kit, but sonor kits are good kits too. Which one is cheaper ? Compare kit shell material. I personally like bigger kits and deeper sounds. I did have fun with this kit.

http://youtu.be/3w2CmkDqQZ8

Listen to the kit.
    Last edited by Jackie; 01-03-2015 at 05:30 PM.

User Info Menu

The ludwigs are "Hard wood" and the safari is poplar. Poplar is almost the same as birch. Which will give you some low end. I don't know much about the breakbeats.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I had a Sonor Bop kit for a while. It had basswood shells, and the Safari has "select hardwood" shells. I don't know if this is the same thing. My bop kit had a really great wrap finish, and had great hardware, lugs, and tom mount. However, it had really rough bearing edges and a snare that I could NEVER get to sound decent...even after a few head changes. All in all, I don't think that I could get used to the sizes either. One thing about that bop kit though... It sounded sort of "meh" in the driver's seat; however, if you stood about 5-10 out, it sounded really good! I don't know if I just couldn't get used to the sizes. I ended up trading the bop kit for a drum set with more traditional size drums, and I haven't looked back.

If you are buying the Safari from a music store, I'd at least try to remove either the snare head and/or a tom head just to check the edges to see if they are rough or not. This is probably just me being paranoid though.

User Info Menu

I have heard a few of these kits in person and have not been impressed at all. If it's not totally out of the question I would just look for a nice 3 pc kit with a 20" BD like renowns, saturns, etc
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I have one and I love it! Bought it for small stages and or livingroom partys.I customized a 16" emad for the base drum. The smallest evans makes is 18". The snare I use with this kit is a pdp 6x10 blackout snare. Octabans made myself. My smallest kit out 5 kits.

User Info Menu

What about a Silverstar bop kit? Or Yamaha Stage Custom? All birch and probably higher quality than the 2 mentioned.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    I have one and I love it! Bought it for small stages and or livingroom partys.I customized a 16" emad for the base drum. The smallest evans makes is 18". The snare I use with this kit is a pdp 6x10 blackout snare. Octabans made myself. My smallest kit out 5 kits.
    Very cool! Do you get enough low end from the kick? I've played 16" kicks and I just can't get that sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Oh yeah,the first time I gigged with it, it was at a good size club and I had 2 marshall amps on each side of me and I had the kick mic sitting on standby waiting to use but I didn't need to use. The bass drum cut through just fine I was blown away how it sounded.

User Info Menu

I have a Sonor Bop kit. The difference between this kit and the safari as far as I can tell is the kick size. The Bop has an 18" kick vs the safari 16". The badges on the bop kit say select hardwood but I believe it's basswood. Also the snare is not great. I can get it sounding ok, and it's fine for practice , but I wouldn't want to gig with it. Toms and kick do sound very nice though.

User Info Menu

That is a very nice "small-large" kit! :D

User Info Menu

I have one and I love it! Bought it for small stages and or livingroom partys.I customized a 16" emad for the base drum. The smallest evans makes is 18". The snare I use with this kit is a pdp 6x10 blackout snare. Octabans made myself.
    My smallest kit out 5 kits.
    Love the custom bass head, octobans and that bass drum riser! I found that Aquarian made a 16" Superkick bass head but would have bought an Emad if they made one.
    I have it on my Star Jr. kit.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 01-05-2015 at 03:55 AM.

User Info Menu

A while back I traded a couple low end cymbals for a groove percussion jungle kit.I thought maybe I could use it as a club kit. I didn't have high hopes considering the brand, but it seems to be fairly well made and after putting a kick port and some new heads on it and it sounds great! A power stroke 3 batter head and a kickport worked wonders on the bass drum.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Ludwig centennial natural 11 piece
    Gp jungle natural 4 piece
    Yamaha dtxpress3
    Saluda cymbals
    zildjian a customs
    Sabian aax

User Info Menu

[IMG]http://www.drumchat.com/picture.php?albumid=1069&picturei
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Ludwig centennial natural 11 piece
    Gp jungle natural 4 piece
    Yamaha dtxpress3
    Saluda cymbals
    zildjian a customs
    Sabian aax

User Info Menu

Very cool! Do you get enough low end from the kick? I've played 16" kicks and I just can't get that sound.

The thing is this...if someone is looking at a set up like this, they're probably thinking small venues and/or more acoustical type performances and "that sound" isn't really required. A 16" bass can sound deep when played with acoustic guitars and at low volumes.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    What about a Silverstar bop kit? Or Yamaha Stage Custom? All birch and probably higher quality than the 2 mentioned.
    That is what I was thinking as well. I own one and it's great for live mic'd/acoustic venues. All the characteristics of its big brothers yet half the price.

I think new they are around 500-650 depending on the finish. I've thought about selling mine and had an offer of 350 but haven't really tried to sell it.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Wood type really doesn't matter all that much. My dw's have the same g2's as the kid's Pearl Forum's up the street.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi