Thread: What is closer to Beech? Birch, maple or another wood?

User Info Menu

Default What is closer to Beech? Birch, maple or another wood?

I would like to add a 24" BD to my current Sonor beech kit but do not want to spend more than $300 all told so I am thinking of getting another wood type and just re-wrapping it to match my silver sparkle.

Which wood is closest to Beech? I wanna say Oak but I am pretty sure those will be just as scarce and expensive as Beech BD's.

Also would you put a new wrap over a lacquer or should you sand it down 1st?

I think Birch would be next closest but is it really that much of a difference? Do you think anyone could tell sound wise that it was a different wood type? The only wood I will completely rule out is Basswood but other than that I am not sure it will matter.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Default Re: What is closer to Beech? Birch, maple or another wood?

I'd go with Birch. It should be the most similar. short sustain and punchy.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

I believe Beech offers a nice blend of the sound characteristics of both Birch & Maple. I don't think it would make a lot of difference on the bass drum. Especially if you have it tuned to thump like most people.
    Still, who says you can't have different woods....or even different sizes on a double bass? A second drum of different wood & size would give it some character!

Edit: Sorry, I misunderstood your intent. I thought you were going for a double bass.
    I wood go with Birch as well. Then again, mahogany is excellent for bass drums, and you're wrapping it anyway.
    Last edited by N2Bluz; 01-06-2015 at 03:30 PM.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    . I don't think it would make a lot of difference on the bass drum. Especially if you have it tuned to thump like most people.
    This

User Info Menu

I would not choose birch over maple. Yamaha Recording Customs are birch (well, the birch ones are birch anyway) and it's been said that the bass drum is the weak link. Replacing it with a maple bass drum was said to be desirable. All things being equal, I would go with maple.

User Info Menu

Which type of Sonor kit is it? They make a more affordable line called Ascents which are beech, and then the much more expensive SQ2's which also offer beech. Ascents are quite a nice kit, with a unique tone that seems to be well balanced. Unless it's for snare, I wouldn't change a thing about them - beech is not like other woods, thus wouldn't blend with them as well as with it's own species. I would just get another Ascent kick(if this is the line you're using), because in the long run the harmony would make me the happiest. Especially with kicks or toms, I would never be content with all these clashing sounds that don't make sense together. It'd be okay for snare, but not more crucial parts of the kit.
    Last edited by Russ; 01-06-2015 at 06:20 PM.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Pear Reference series uses different woods based on shell/tom sizes. It works for them! I believe they also use size specific bearing edge profiles as well (?). Honestly, I would pay attention to shell thickness as much as I would the wood type.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Which type of Sonor kit is it? They make a more affordable line called Ascents which are beech, and then the much more expensive SQ2's which also offer beech. Ascents are quite a nice kit, with a unique tone that seems to be well balanced. Unless it's for snare, I wouldn't change a thing about them - beech is not like other woods, thus wouldn't blend with them as well as with it's own species. I would just get another Ascent kick(if this is the line you're using), because in the long run the harmony would make me the happiest. Especially with kicks or toms, I would never be content with all these clashing sounds that don't make sense together. It'd be okay for snare, but not more crucial parts of the kit.
    It is akin to the ascents, same exact kit just a limited edition wrap. The 22' kick is very nice and I love it but I would like someday to have a 24" kick as an option but buying an ascent BD by itself will be wayy out of my price range. I was watching an old sonor Phonic 24" bd on ebay a few week back but did not pull the trigger and kind of regretting it now. I know they are beech and maybe have one less ply so should be close enough.

hmmm mybe I should just hold out for a beech one, possibly want to add another ft as well so whichever comes up 1st.

How do you guys feel about putting a wrap over a lacquer? is that doable without sanding?
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Sonor phonic.. Now that was a legend in drum design, really broke new boundaries and put them on the map. 9 ply beech shells was a pretty big deal back in the day, and they became famous for them. You should know that phonics are 2 plies more than the ascents, so it is going to end up being a little louder - plus a phonic would be around 30 years old by now, so the maturity is going to alter the sound somewhat as well. There's also the difference in size variable to consider too.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Sonor phonic.. Now that was a legend in drum design, really broke new boundaries and put them on the map. 9 ply beech shells was a pretty big deal back in the day, and they became famous for them. You should know that phonics are 2 plies more than the ascents, so it is going to end up being a little louder - plus a phonic would be around 30 years old by now, so the maturity is going to alter the sound somewhat as well. There's also the difference in size variable to consider too.
    Actually mine is 9-ply as well as are the ascents. and 8.75 mm thick. I am not sure how thick the Phonics are but I think they will be close enough for me. Now just have to watch ebay for another 24 x16 BD. I saw a yamaha Beech but not sure I wanna pay the money for a nice stained BD and then wrap it.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

What? According to Sonor's website, the ascent bassdrum shells are 7ply and 6.35mm thick.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

What? According to Sonor's website, the ascent bassdrum shells are 7ply and 6.35mm thick.
    OH OK the BD is 7-ply but the rest is 9-ply. I do not notice any difference between my BD and Toms? BTW This snare is awesome!! just sayin : ) So a 9-ply BD would be the same as my toms and snare.

From Sonor's site,

SONOR Ascent Shell Thicknesses

9 plies for tom toms, floor toms and snare drums = 8.75 mm

7 plies for bass drums = 6.35 mm
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

Should I mention that I have two SONOR Beech kicks at home?

User Info Menu

Hmm, I wonder why they thinned down the kick instead of the toms? The kick is usually what needs more volume, to my ears. Well, however you decide to run it - good luck! I've always wanted a beech shelled Sonor. Just love saying that word.. beech. "Yo what's your drums made out of?" "From beech." "Aw no way dude so it's like a surfer's drumset! That's friggin gnar bro!"
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    Should I mention that I have two SONOR Beech kicks at home?
    Are they Beech Mon?
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

Hmm, I wonder why they thinned down the kick instead of the toms? The kick is usually what needs more volume, to my ears. Well, however you decide to run it - good luck! I've always wanted a beech shelled Sonor. Just love saying that word.. beech. "Yo what's your drums made out of?" "From beech." "Aw no way dude so it's like a surfer's drumset! That's friggin gnar bro!"
    I just like saying "Sonor Beech". Sometimes I scream it out....like when I hit my thumb with a hammer.
    -Brian