Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Craigslist - musicians

User Info Menu

Default Re: Craigslist - musicians

Came across this craigslist doozy a minute ago...oh sure, there are many benefits to playing this gig. Pizza and a forgiving audience? Give me a break...so sick of people expecting you to play for free, for not much/nothing in return.

---------------------------------------------
    Hey there. We are a school community group (soon to be a formal PTA) looking for musicians to play music for elementary students (so no explicit music, please) during our monthly group meetings. The meetings begin with free pizza around 5:15 - 5:30pm and then the kids go to one room (with a responsible adult/teacher to watch them) at 6:00, and the adults go to the gymnasium for our meeting.

There's pros and cons to this arrangement. The cons are: you won't be paid cash.

But the pros are many! You get to practice quickly setting up/tearing down your gear, you get to practice your craft in front of a VERY forgiving audience, you get exposure on the NW side for other work, such as parties, weddings, etc., it's early on and early off (you will be done by 7:00- 7:15 pm at the latest). You could also receive a tax-write off for your business, if you're legal like that. We are also looking into comps from local businesses; you might be able to go have a meal afterward, on us.

It's one evening a month. We are trying to encourage people to attend our meetings, and to make our school and community a better place. Give it a try! If it doesn't work out, there's no hard feelings.

User Info Menu

What? Free pizza and NO beer?!!

all the best...

User Info Menu

I met an acting group director that was making $ 70,000 / year doing anti-drug shows at schools. The group may have started this way, with a show for the PTA (parent and teachers association).

User Info Menu

I live in a fairly small Texas town, but we do have our own craigs listing. My favorite is that once in a while here we get postings from someone looking to start up a band that has been playing their instrument for 3 or 4 months. OK fine, but after they get the other people they are going to get some gigs. Wow.

User Info Menu

BEAWARE: Craigslist is full of scammers and criminals. On the news just the other day I saw where a older gentleman got his phone ripped of that was trying to sell if. I have heard and seen a lot of bad things on the news involving craigslist. I wouldn't trust anyone on that site for anything.

Keep drumming
    Gregg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cdeleone View Post
    Came across this craigslist doozy a minute ago...oh sure, there are many benefits to playing this gig. Pizza and a forgiving audience? Give me a break...so sick of people expecting you to play for free, for not much/nothing in return.

---------------------------------------------
    Hey there. We are a school community group (soon to be a formal PTA) looking for musicians to play music for elementary students (so no explicit music, please) during our monthly group meetings. The meetings begin with free pizza around 5:15 - 5:30pm and then the kids go to one room (with a responsible adult/teacher to watch them) at 6:00, and the adults go to the gymnasium for our meeting.

There's pros and cons to this arrangement. The cons are: you won't be paid cash.

But the pros are many! You get to practice quickly setting up/tearing down your gear, you get to practice your craft in front of a VERY forgiving audience, you get exposure on the NW side for other work, such as parties, weddings, etc., it's early on and early off (you will be done by 7:00- 7:15 pm at the latest). You could also receive a tax-write off for your business, if you're legal like that. We are also looking into comps from local businesses; you might be able to go have a meal afterward, on us.

It's one evening a month. We are trying to encourage people to attend our meetings, and to make our school and community a better place. Give it a try! If it doesn't work out, there's no hard feelings.
    Translation-We dont want to buy an ipod...
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Nothing like working for Peanuts...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    Nothing like working for Peanuts...
    Oh No....peanuts aren't allowed in schools
    ||Music produces a kind of pleasure which human nature cannot do without. ~Confucius||

Pearl Masters Custom - Emerald Mist with gold hardware 12/13/16/22

PDP LX - Cherry Fade
    8/10/12/14/16/22

Zildjian A Custom 16/18/20 1970's 14" New Beat hats
    Sabian 16" Ozone crash

Roland TD-3 and TD-10 A to E Kit.

User Info Menu

Came across this one today guy is selling a 16" floor tom.

"Evans drum I used for a lil bit but got a brand new kit from being sponsored so just selling my old set up in pieces this drum take it for 20$ Obro"

I guess it's possible to be sponsored and not know that evans is the name of the head and not the drum but????
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

CL in my area:
    "Drummer seeks to join otherwise complete band to play rock and / or blues live. Not a professonal so pay does not matter. Looking for others in their 40's. No 20 somethings - I can't keep up."
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Came across this one today guy is selling a 16" floor tom.

"Evans drum I used for a lil bit but got a brand new kit from being sponsored so just selling my old set up in pieces this drum take it for 20$ Obro"

I guess it's possible to be sponsored and not know that evans is the name of the head and not the drum but????
    So let me guess, he got "sponsored" by one of those companies that will sell you a $2000 for $3000 instead of $3500 if you apply and are accepted into their endorsement program. Then they add your name to a list of other endorsers that no one has ever heard of. Livin' the dream...<sigh>

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    So let me guess, he got "sponsored" by one of those companies that will sell you a $2000 for $3000 instead of $3500 if you apply and are accepted into their endorsement program. Then they add your name to a list of other endorsers that no one has ever heard of. Livin' the dream...<sigh>
    LOL, I did not even know that was a thing? thats actually sad if true
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I'm primarily a guitarist but because I live way out in the boonies I'm having to learn drums for playing on my own songs. But I have met both good and not so good musicians on Craigslist and heck I had a top 40 band that was pretty good hire me off of Craigslist.

What I have a problem with is between my dad and me we have a bunch of expensive gear and we are not always at home. And I just get paranoid bringing people over to my house who I don't know. You name it we probably got it Steel guitar, old fiddles,American made telecasters,hammond organ M3 I'd like to see some thief try to steal that!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wired View Post

What I have a problem with is between my dad and me we have a bunch of expensive gear and we are not always at home. And I just get paranoid bringing people over to my house who I don't know. You name it we probably got it Steel guitar, old fiddles,American made telecasters,hammond organ M3 I'd like to see some thief try to steal that!
    That's understandable. If what you're selling is somewhat portable (guitar or amp vs a whole drum set) arrange to meet in a public forum like a shopping mall parking lot convenient to both parties.

User Info Menu

the "free" section is full of scammers too.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

How did bands form before Craigs LIst?

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    How did bands form before Craigs LIst?

all the best...
    We had and still have a weekly publication called The Reader. It's a large newsprint free magazine about the size of vintage Rolling Stone. It has a glossy cover now. Pages and pages of ads for all the live music in town, even to this day. Before CL, musicians would use the free classifieds in the back. They were literally several pages long at very small print. Now there are almost no classified ads if any kind, but the mag still keeps going.

User Info Menu

I guess the best way to find members is to go check out open mics and see if they got what you are looking for.. Another thing about Craigslist is my dad had a working country band and often we would have both a piano player and a steel player and there was this guy that played steel that cancelled the day of the gig.

Well everybody want's to join a working band and we brought this one steel player on for a gig and he was just way too green..afraid to do kicks offs. couldn't solo that well.

We made it thru the night but the next gig I found an old man off of Craigslist and this guy tore it up! I'm talking western swing like a mug. It didn't matter to him what key,what song,jazz bring it on it didn't matter! I watch him like a hawk and he would sometimes grab the wrong chord but you wouldn't know because his recovery time from a mistake was in milliseconds!

Absolutely one of the best steel guitarist I ever heard and I grew up in a honky tonk he was just simple fantastic. So yeah don't assume you can't find good musicians off craigslist because you can. Bandmix is a great site too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wired View Post
    Bandmix is a great site too.
    Bandmix may be good if you pay for it but honestly who does that? I am on there but never get any reply's because you have o pay to send and receive emails.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

Bandmix cost like ten dollars a month..I like to use it to hit on girls..maybe I'll find me a Pat Benatar/Nancy Wilson look/sing alike who wants to hook up hehe. I'd say that's ten dollars well spent!

User Info Menu

I've had some pretty good luck with Bandmix, much better than Kijiji or CL.

A drummer buddy of mine found out he was being replaced through Bandmix. I saw an ad for a drummer and checked it out, then realized it was the band he played for so I fired off an email asking him why he was leaving the band, he had no idea what I was talking about. He called the lead singer and asked her about it, she told him then he was out; the band thing can be ruthless sometimes.
    ||Music produces a kind of pleasure which human nature cannot do without. ~Confucius||

Pearl Masters Custom - Emerald Mist with gold hardware 12/13/16/22

PDP LX - Cherry Fade
    8/10/12/14/16/22

Zildjian A Custom 16/18/20 1970's 14" New Beat hats
    Sabian 16" Ozone crash

Roland TD-3 and TD-10 A to E Kit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Linchpin View Post

A drummer buddy of mine found out he was being replaced through Bandmix. I saw an ad for a drummer and checked it out, then realized it was the band he played for so I fired off an email asking him why he was leaving the band, he had no idea what I was talking about. He called the lead singer and asked her about it, she told him then he was out; the band thing can be ruthless sometimes.
    OUCH, that sucks.. Maybe he should have replied to the ad under a different name and then showed up for rehearsal LOL
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Linchpin View Post

Same thing happened to me in a way. A friend, who is now the lead singer in my current band, called me and said she saw my band had placed an ad on CL looking for gigs. The only thing was I had been Photoshopped out of the pic and another dude pasted in. To make it worse, the pic was one I had asked my singer friend to take with my camera and had been using it on our MySpace page. Oh, and the new guy wasn't a drummer, but a keyboard player. They were using a drum machine. I was pissed at their cowardice. The only reason they went with the drum machine was to be able to get more money per person. They never amounted to anything and the band I formed afterward has been doing great. Success is the best revenge!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    Same thing happened to me in a way. A friend, who is now the lead singer in my current band, called me and said she saw my band had placed an ad on CL looking for gigs. The only thing was I had been Photoshopped out of the pic and another dude pasted in. To make it worse, the pic was one I had asked my singer friend to take with my camera and had been using it on our MySpace page. Oh, and the new guy wasn't a drummer, but a keyboard player. They were using a drum machine. I was pissed at their cowardice. The only reason they went with the drum machine was to be able to get more money per person. They never amounted to anything and the band I formed afterward has been doing great. Success is the best revenge!
    LOL serves them right the Idiots!! I would never want to see a live band with a drum machine and I dont know anyone else who would either no matter how good they were.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    LOL serves them right the Idiots!! I would never want to see a live band with a drum machine and I dont know anyone else who would either no matter how good they were.
    Thanks, man. Well their big loss was when they eventually lost their phenomenal female singer who was 25 years younger than anyone else in the band, but she had an old soul. Got preggers and moved with her husband back east to be with extended family. I think after that, they only played a few backyard parties and eventually added a drummer on a real low end electronic kit. At least from what I've been able to find on YouTube.

There is a local band that gets a lot of gigs in the same venues where we play (our original bassist was with them after he left us) and they use programmed drums. Went to see them and saw the train wreck happen when they got off of the sequence and ended the song several bars before the "drummer" did. Amateur...