Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Finally made a decision on a pro level set

User Info Menu

Default Re: Finally made a decision on a pro level set

Beautiful kit. Makes me want one in that color.
    1976 Tama Imperialstar Saturn 12+1 Platina6,8,10,12,13,14,15,16 concert toms, 16, 18 floor toms, 2-22x18 Bass drums.
    1971 5x14 Ludwig acrolite snare
    Tama metalworks snare 13x6
    DW collectors Maple Blue Glass7x8, 8x10, 9x12 rack toms, 11x14, 13x16 hanging toms, 18x23 bass, 8 and 12 timbale toms, 5.5x10 Ten and Six All Maple snare, 5.5x14 Supersolid snare, DW 9000 rack system, DW 5002 Double bass pedal, DW 5000 Hi-Hat stand, DW 9000 Snare stand.
    Sabian Xs20 cymbals: 16 & 18 crash, 20 ride, 14 hats, 8 splash, 18 china.
    Zildjian cymbals: 21 ride, 15 hats. All '70's era.

User Info Menu

Hi, nice choice, a teenie bit too purple for me, but I am like that!
    I have picked out my upgrade too, keeping it a surprise until I get it, but I will tell you it is a Mapex too!

I bet you can't wait, I spend about 4 months looking, reading and listening to kits in my price range, and finally decided yesterday.
    Bridie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bridie View Post
    Hi, nice choice, a teenie bit too purple for me, but I am like that!
    I have picked out my upgrade too, keeping it a surprise until I get it, but I will tell you it is a Mapex too!

I bet you can't wait, I spend about 4 months looking, reading and listening to kits in my price range, and finally decided yesterday.
    Bridie
    Can't go wrong with a Mapex Birdie!

User Info Menu

Oh. Man I love that finish.
    “I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”

User Info Menu

WOW, thats a great color. I like it better than my rootbeer burst. I am one of those guys who tried coated heads and g2's and eventually came back to clear emp. over amb. and they sound beautiful. Use the stock heads till they are worn out.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

You've made a great choice, Pete! I love my Saturns - even the band have commented from time to time . I have clear G2s on mine. I use a Kickport on the bass with just a small rolled-up cloth between the pedal and the batter head (PS3), but apart from that run everything wide open. Fab!

Enjoy your new drums!
    A-kit: Mapex 6-pc Saturn V in Deep Water Maple Burl
    1976 Ludwig Supraphonic 400, DW Design Black Nickel over Brass and Black Panther Velvetone snares
    14" Zildjian A Mastersound hi-hats
    21" Meinl Byzance Transition Ride
    18" Sabian AAX China
    Many Paiste Signature cymbals!
    Roland SPD:ONE Percussion pad

Protection Racket cases

E-kit: Roland TD-12 with VEX

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Grazza View Post
    small rolled-up cloth between the pedal and the batter head (PS3),!

Is it taped to the batter? you have a pic of it?
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

...with just a small rolled-up cloth between the pedal and the batter head (PS3), but apart from that run everything wide open. Fab!

Enjoy your new drums!
    Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    When I was a judge at the drum offs for Guitar Center a few years back, one of the contestants did that with his jacket. Just took it off, rolled it up and stuffed it between the pedal and the batter head. Nothing technical but it did the trick for him "on the fly" so to speak.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the replies...I know this is for me and my preference, but it's still really cool when others feel the same way...also doesn't hurt that purple is my favorite color, made the finish decision very easy (though the Deep Water Ash Burl was a contender for a bit)

This is the list of sets I've had in the past:

1st---old Rogers set with concert toms...then
    Premier XPK---still the most booming bass drums I've ever owned...then
    Pearl ELX Fusion...then
    (Current)---PDP FS...all solid sets that got the job done, but in the 20 years I've been playing it's time to have that Pro set. I have some pro gear, Demon Drive double pedal, DW BNOB snare, DW double tom stand, Paiste Signature series hi hats, Sabian AAX crashes, etc

Now its time to have the set to go with it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Don't laugh, but it's a pub beer mat, just rolled up loosely and pushed down in the gap. Doesn't mess with the pedal, and just adds that little bit of extra damping to complement the head. No pics, I'm afraid, but I'm sure you get the idea!

I was thinking of trying an Evans EQ pad, but I just feel it might be more than I need unless recording.
    A-kit: Mapex 6-pc Saturn V in Deep Water Maple Burl
    1976 Ludwig Supraphonic 400, DW Design Black Nickel over Brass and Black Panther Velvetone snares
    14" Zildjian A Mastersound hi-hats
    21" Meinl Byzance Transition Ride
    18" Sabian AAX China
    Many Paiste Signature cymbals!
    Roland SPD:ONE Percussion pad

Protection Racket cases

E-kit: Roland TD-12 with VEX

User Info Menu

Don't laugh, but it's a pub beer mat, just rolled up loosely and pushed down in the gap. Doesn't mess with the pedal, and just adds that little bit of extra damping to complement the head. No pics, I'm afraid, but I'm sure you get the idea!

I was thinking of trying an Evans EQ pad, but I just feel it might be more than I need unless recording.
    Not at all, I have never seen or heard of that.. hmmm sounds easier than sticking something inside the drum. I will try it on mine later, thanks
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

I just saw on another site what Birdie is getting!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Finally made a decision on a pro level set

Quote Originally Posted by porkpieguy View Post
    What an awesome finish! Just found this picture online of them:

Those look fantastic.

User Info Menu

Pete-

That is an eye-popping, luscious-looking kit. Just really classic and expensive looking, and the kind of kit you will be proud to pass on to your kids. I bought a Mapex Saturn Pro kit in natural maple finish within a few months of them becoming available at the music store I worked in. I can still remember how nice the workmanship was on that kit, with exquisite, deep triple chrome plating. And no machining or casting imperfections at all.

You haven't mentioned the hardware lineup you intend to use. Will you be buying new Mapex hardware to go with the new kit? I really liked the hardware that I purchased with my Saturn Pro kit, and still have one boom stand and one double tom stand. I would definitely recommend that you not use the multi-clamp setup shown in the photo - that's a very wobbly way to mount toms. My experience with the double tom stand I have leads me to suggest going with a couple of double tom stands with cymbal booms occupying the other holes.

After seeing the choice you have made, I went to the Mapex site to take a closer look. They seem to have maintained the excellent quality and design of their hardware. Of course, there are many hardware options out there, but keeping the hardware on a totally new kit "in the family" would look really nice. There's the rack option, too, of course, but in my opinion (worth what you've paid for it!) individual stands really make the kit "pop."

Enough of my rattling on. Which hardware will you be using?

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Nice choice. Curious why you decided on that bass drum size?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    Pete-

That is an eye-popping, luscious-looking kit. Just really classic and expensive looking, and the kind of kit you will be proud to pass on to your kids. I bought a Mapex Saturn Pro kit in natural maple finish within a few months of them becoming available at the music store I worked in. I can still remember how nice the workmanship was on that kit, with exquisite, deep triple chrome plating. And no machining or casting imperfections at all.

You haven't mentioned the hardware lineup you intend to use. Will you be buying new Mapex hardware to go with the new kit? I really liked the hardware that I purchased with my Saturn Pro kit, and still have one boom stand and one double tom stand. I would definitely recommend that you not use the multi-clamp setup shown in the photo - that's a very wobbly way to mount toms. My experience with the double tom stand I have leads me to suggest going with a couple of double tom stands with cymbal booms occupying the other holes.

After seeing the choice you have made, I went to the Mapex site to take a closer look. They seem to have maintained the excellent quality and design of their hardware. Of course, there are many hardware options out there, but keeping the hardware on a totally new kit "in the family" would look really nice. There's the rack option, too, of course, but in my opinion (worth what you've paid for it!) individual stands really make the kit "pop."

Enough of my rattling on. Which hardware will you be using?

GeeDeeEmm
    thanks for the response....I'll be getting a Mapex double tom stand...not a fan of the set up in the pictures...I like the 2 up one down set up but using a double tom stand (which is what I do currently)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Exotic Matter View Post
    Nice choice. Curious why you decided on that bass drum size?
    I've just become enamored with the sound a 20" deep bass drum has, especially with the maple/walnut

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PeterBowman View Post
    I've just become enamored with the sound a 20" deep bass drum has, especially with the maple/walnut
    They also look really cool!
    [IMG][/IMG]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks4drums View Post
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Love that pic.................I like the way you have the rack low over the bass drums, at least they don't cover up the entire kit.

Absolutely gorgeous.

Just curious, how long does that thing take to setup and tear down?

User Info Menu

To me, that 's the key for having a good looking rack set up (DON'T go "there"!). Set the crossbar as low as it can practically go so that the rack toms are mostly above it and not obscured. I do the same thing with my rack when I use it. The silver connectors also look far better than the standard black ones on my Gibraltar.

User Info Menu

[IMG][/IMG]
    A cannot agree more with the remarks about the way you arrange your rack. I don't know that I have seen it done that way, but it makes the rack look quite attractive while preserving the looks of the drums. Well done, Sticks.

One thing, though - why did you buy such a SMALL kit?

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Thanks guys! Well I have such a hard time on a lot of these sites, because guys just throw stuff on racks, with very little thought. I will see guys pay $10,000 for drums, then slap them on a rack, with the bars running across the middle, and all the huge tom mounts facing straight out. You can barely see the shells. This does not work for me. The rack is the support system for the drums. The drums should take center stage, in my opinion.

As far as kit size goes, I am definitely over compensating for something!

This is a good front on shot to show how the rack does not get in the way of the shells. I also like the mounts all turned to the side.

[IMG][/IMG]

User Info Menu

Thanks guys! Well I have such a hard time on a lot of these sites, because guys just throw stuff on racks, with very little thought. I will see guys pay $10,000 for drums, then slap them on a rack, with the bars running across the middle, and all the huge tom mounts facing straight out. You can barely see the shells. This does not work for me. The rack is the support system for the drums. The drums should take center stage, in my opinion.

As far as kit size goes, I am definitely over compensating for something!

This is a good front on shot to show how the rack does not get in the way of the shells. I also like the mounts all turned to the side.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Man...that's is so cool. Makes me want to go back to a double bass set up!!

User Info Menu

Mounts turned to the side is the way they are designed to be, as if they were mounted on the bass drum. It baffles me when I see rack mounted toms with all the ugly mounting hardware (hey, it's all ugly compared to the shells) right at 12 o'clock facing the audience. The Badge always faces front!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    It baffles me when I see rack mounted toms with all the ugly mounting hardware (hey, it's all ugly compared to the shells) right at 12 o'clock facing the audience. The Badge always faces front!
    Awww...let me baffle you some more....