Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need your experiences with isolating headphones

User Info Menu

Default I need your experiences with isolating headphones

Hey everyone,

While I do practice with IEMs (Shure 215's), I prefer to practice with isolating headphones because I'm still able to get some "presence" in my head along with some of the bottom-end frequencies of my drums (I really like how it sounds). I have a home made pair of isolating headphones (a set of Husqvarna ear protection headphones with cheap headphone drivers just set in there), but they are now broken. I'd like to get something of some decent quality.

I've been looking at the Vic Firth isolating headphones, but I was curious as to your suggestions and experiences.

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Default Re: I need your experiences with isolating headphones

I have had good luck with wearing hearing protection over my Shure IEMs when doing some basement recording.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Ok, let me rephrase then...

I need your suggestions for noise-cancelling headphones so that I can listen to music while playing my drums. Thanks!

User Info Menu

I use the Vic Firth Isolation headphones...they're about $60 but man are they great...I just plug them into the cd player when I play along to music and go.

User Info Menu

I tried to get onboard with the VF's, but I couldn't hear songs I played along to. I then tried them in a band practice situation, and I couldn't hear the guitarists. This proved to be a big problem, as so much noise was blocked out that it began to hinder my playing as I had no clue what to play to. In the end, my AKG m70's($20-$30) blocked some noise out but not so much that I was having problems hearing what I wanted to hear in order to play along. That one pair has lasted me 6 years, and only now do I find myself needing a replacement. I liked the sound I got out of them too. I'm not a jet pilot, factory worker, or a lumberjack operating chainsaws so I don't really need headphones that take all the sound out. There is some stuff I still need to hear, so that's why I went with a different type of headphones.
    Last edited by Russ; 01-07-2015 at 09:35 AM.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I personally prefer the Shure 215's - although I know what you mean by isolating a little too much. I pull them out just a hair so that external noise (drums) can still get in my ear. Other than that, I think the Vic Firths are a great option

User Info Menu

I just got a pair of the Vic firth cans for Christmas. They are nice. I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a pair if your in the market for a new set of cans.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Ludwig centennial natural 11 piece
    Gp jungle natural 4 piece
    Yamaha dtxpress3
    Saluda cymbals
    zildjian a customs
    Sabian aax

User Info Menu

I have the vic firth drum head phones they are nice. But honestly I bought a super nice pair of Klipsch ear buds and I love them 1000x better than my vic firth. They are also volume controllable on the chord which is super nice.

User Info Menu

I've owned the Vic Firth headphones for years, I just don't find them to be comfortable. (Maybe my head is just too big.) I'm not even sure where mine are at this point.

I currently use a set of Sony MDR 7506 headphones. They sound great and are comfortable for long periods which is important to me.
    -Mike

"We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing."

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

"Snare drums happen."

User Info Menu

I own the Vic Firth ear muffs (the ones with no electronic components) and I just put my regular ear buds underneath them at a comfortable volume. It works great for me. Unlike Russ, when I use them in band practice I have no problem hearing the other instruments. But then again, that may be because my guitarist and bassist like to play atrociously loud.
    Matt

User Info Menu

I recently upgraded my hearing protection. I got a pair of Sennhieser HD280 Pro iso headphones. Real comfortable and work well. With replaceable components including the ear cups, the cord and other parts. I like the way the cups rotate so they sit flat on a surface as well. I can still hear everything without the damaging decibel levels. The Vic Firth's looked cheap to me and squished my head. I can't even feel the Sens on my head. Well worth the $100.00.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yohin View Post
    I own the Vic Firth ear muffs (the ones with no electronic components) and I just put my regular ear buds underneath them at a comfortable volume. It works great for me. Unlike Russ, when I use them in band practice I have no problem hearing the other instruments. But then again, that may be because my guitarist and bassist like to play atrociously loud.
    I think age might be another variable for me, sometimes I could swear I have difficulty hearing certain sounds. Not all sound, just some of the smaller details of music - like whispers, hum, background noises, that type of thing. I think little by little my hearing is getting worse cause i'm getting older. I could be wrong, though.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Yep, the Vic Firth ones.
    But man are they tight on da head.
    “I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PopsOldSkins View Post
    Yep, the Vic Firth ones.
    That is what I meant when I said that they are not comfortable, it is like having a vice on my head. I can put up with it for maybe five minutes at a time.
    -Mike

"We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing."

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

"Snare drums happen."

User Info Menu

I've used my vic firths when jamming before too and had no problems hearing the guitars.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PopsOldSkins View Post
    Yep, the Vic Firth ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by drummer5359 View Post
    That is what I meant when I said that they are not comfortable, it is like having a vice on my head. I can put up with it for maybe five minutes at a time.
    It's not that mine are "tight" but feel bulky at times and then after awhile of playing they do feel like to much pressure.

User Info Menu

I've went through two sets of VF isolation headphones..............they were always uncomfortable...............real tight, and hurt after 30 minutes of playing. The electronics worked for around 6 months on each pair and then the left ear went out.

After that I bought the Sennheiser HD280 headphones........much more comfortable, but don't isolate as well...........but better sound clarity

For about the last six months I've been using the Shure 215 IEM's.........love them. My only complaint is that it takes me awhile to get them in correctly. My first set of in ears.................but I'm getting used to them.

User Info Menu

I had the VF's and hated them as well, seems common as mine were very stiff and after a few months the left side stopped working all-together.

I then spent a little more on the Sennheiser HD280's and love em. I bought mine 4 yrs ago and still use the same pair just about every day to play along to cd's and practice with my metronome.

I agree however that they probably could isolate the sound of my drums a little better, but I have gotten used to it at this point. I may try a more expensive pair in the future but I highly doubt your going to find a better pair at $100.

was actually debating the DR Dre Beats but man they are pricey.
    Last edited by MDK; 01-08-2015 at 12:51 PM.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I went cheap and just use the freebee headphones that came with my $50.00 headphone amp. It came with a pair of AKG K 77. The headphones are super light weight and they do a decent job of sound isolation but the best part is the freq. response is flat. No enhanced sound like some headphones tend to boost.

User Info Menu

Hey those look kinda like my m70's! Cool beans rich.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Hey those look kinda like my m70's! Cool beans rich.
    Thanks Russ!! Welcome back....again....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolvie56 View Post
    I recently upgraded my hearing protection. I got a pair of Sennhieser HD280 Pro iso headphones. Real comfortable and work well. With replaceable components including the ear cups, the cord and other parts. I like the way the cups rotate so they sit flat on a surface as well. I can still hear everything without the damaging decibel levels. The Vic Firth's looked cheap to me and squished my head. I can't even feel the Sens on my head. Well worth the $100.00.
    YES !
    Buy these..............Sennheiser HD280..............very impressive.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer5359 View Post
    I've owned the Vic Firth headphones for years, I just don't find them to be comfortable. (Maybe my head is just too big.) I'm not even sure where mine are at this point.

I currently use a set of Sony MDR 7506 headphones. They sound great and are comfortable for long periods which is important to me.
    I appreciate your response. I suffer from cranium girth as well...to the point that whenever I find a hat that actually fits my head, I HAVE to buy it because it's rare. Then, the hard part is keep my dad's and brother's grubby hands off of my hats because they are sufferers as well.

Do the Sony headphones you mentioned block out enough sound to where you don't have to crank them to hear them over your drums?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    YES !
    Buy these..............Sennheiser HD280..............very impressive.
    I'm looking at these too. Thanks for the suggestion!