Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm an addict.. Acrylic Pork Pie #2

User Info Menu

Default I'm an addict.. Acrylic Pork Pie #2

So I found this while on vacation over Christmas. The music store shipped it home for me and it just came last night!

This is a Clear Acrylic Pork Pie snare drum. This is my second Acrylic snare to my collection and fourth Pork Pie snare drum.

The snare came with a brand new Evans coated head but I plan on swapping it out with a clear head for full effect. I'm extremely excited about the snare drum. It was made 6/20/05 so this June it will be 10 years old. Still looking beautiful and sounds great. I'm also going to buy some new black tension rods to replace the three that are chrome for some reason.

User Info Menu

Default Re: I'm an addict.. Acrylic Pork Pie #2

That is a cool looking drum. congrats!

User Info Menu

Nice, how are the overtones on an acrylic snare? I imagine they would be pretty long.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Nice, how are the overtones on an acrylic snare? I imagine they would be pretty long.
    I haven't had a chance to play this yet I just unboxed it. But my Amber Acrylic Pork Pie has a super warm fat but yet crisp sound. Tough to describe but I love it. Overtones weren't as extreme as my metal snares.

User Info Menu

Nice snare. I bet you can get a mighty crack out of that.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Gorgeous......I love acrylic drums

User Info Menu

I have a Crush 14x7 clear acrylic snare on order. I hope to have it in a day or two. It will be my first acrylic snare drum.

I have a Pork Pie 13x7 patina brass which is very colorful, nothing like the clear acrylic, but a nice sounding snare.

Each drum has its own distinct qualities.

John

User Info Menu

Nice!

User Info Menu

That looks great! A clear head would look amazing on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Nice!!! Looks like glass.

User Info Menu

That is the one that is RULING!

Love it. Want it.

User Info Menu

Pretty darn cool. Never owned any acrylic gear but the year is still young.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Had that snare and it really came to life when I changed the top hoop. Never liked pork pies hoops on the snares. Too thin sounding. A gibraltar 2.3 hoop, pearl super hoop, or a dw true hoop it this snares best friend!! Replace that hoop and get way more tone out of the baby!!!!!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by s12512 View Post
    Had that snare and it really came to life when I changed the top hoop. Never liked pork pies hoops on the snares. Too thin sounding. A gibraltar 2.3 hoop, pearl super hoop, or a dw true hoop it this snares best friend!! Replace that hoop and get way more tone out of the baby!!!!!!!
    for real that is wonderful advice! Thank you! I will look into that at work tonight probably then

User Info Menu

Cool. Meanwhile, I'm gona shop for another one!!!! Need that snare back!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    for real that is wonderful advice! Thank you! I will look into that at work tonight probably then
    spaz...I can see you looking beyond new hoops. I see you owning this kit sooner than you think....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    spaz...i can see you looking beyond new hoops. I see you owning this kit sooner than you think....

oh my dear god!!!

User Info Menu

spaz...I can see you looking beyond new hoops. I see you owning this kit sooner than you think....

That looks great............I've been seriously considering the DW design acrylic...................absolutely gorgeous

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    That looks great............I've been seriously considering the DW design acrylic...................absolutely gorgeous
    Butch, I actually walked up to one at the store. Sounded great...

User Info Menu

WOW. Yes. Need. Must HAVE.

User Info Menu

I have never played an acrylic drum. So, what's the difference in sound between these and wood and metal shells?
    And yeah, thicker hoops can really change the sound. I never would have thought that would make a difference, but wow! At least on certain snares, it really does and will also add more crack to rim shots.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcs90 View Post
    I have never played an acrylic drum. So, what's the difference in sound between these and wood and metal shells?
    And yeah, thicker hoops can really change the sound. I never would have thought that would make a difference, but wow! At least on certain snares, it really does and will also add more crack to rim shots.
    I have a collection of all of them (metal, acrylic, wood)

My metal snares are so loud, bright yet popy. They have a lot of overtones and ring pretty good.

My wood snares are usual fatter, warmer and a thicker tone to say it best.

my acrylics are kinda between the metal and wood. They are warmer like a wood but still pop and snap quick like a metal. Yet less overtones and ring.

User Info Menu

I had two 20" Star acrylic kicks when I was a teenager. Unfortunately I was too young and dumb to know what cool drums those were back then. Wish I still had them. I have know clue what I did with them. They were replaced with a brand new 1981 Gretsch kit. For all I can remember I could have stripped the lugs and thrown the shells away. I did dumb things like that when I was young.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

That is very cool!
    -Mike

"We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing."

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

"Snare drums happen."

User Info Menu

Imagine that kit with a stealth rack! Must resist, must resist! Where's that credit card?