Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What drumming faux pas do you commonly make?

User Info Menu

Default What drumming faux pas do you commonly make?

I have a tendency to release my snare so opening bands don't hear my snare buzzing during their set. Inevitably, I always forget to pop it back on before I start playing our set and two hits in I have to struggle to pop it back on. I've since learned to wedge a stick so it pops out as a reminder...
    I'm curious what other things like that drummers do!

User Info Menu

Default Re: What drumming faux pas do you commonly make?

I'm fairly inexperienced so I still make newbie mistakes, most commonly -

Beating on my hats like an ogre (haven't broken any cymbals yet but at my current rate its only a matter of time).

I still tend to hit my crashes straight on, instead of a glancing blow. I have angled them to minimise biting directly into the edges but I do tend to 'chop' at them. I try to remember not to hack at them - but when I am attempting to play something new, faster or more technically challenging than I am accustomed to I tend to regress to gorilla mode

Most of the (simple) stuff I play involves mainly straight eighth note beats on hats or ride - if I play any other type unfortunately after a fill I tend to play eighths on hat (less frequently Ride) regardless of what I should be playing. It doesn't sound good.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cdeleone View Post
    I have a tendency to release my snare so opening bands don't hear my snare buzzing during their set. Inevitably, I always forget to pop it back on before I start playing our set and two hits in I have to struggle to pop it back on. I've since learned to wedge a stick so it pops out as a reminder...
    I'm curious what other things like that drummers do!

I'm curious as to where the stick pops out from.

User Info Menu

None. I work flawlessly.

User Info Menu

I tense up. I need to relax before I count off a song.

User Info Menu

I'm known to drool now and then. I just get so into the music and all of the sudden I feel something wet dripping down the side of my mouth. I don't think anyone notices but it always feels embarrassing just in case someone did see it. Luckily it only happens a couple of times a year.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I'm curious as to where the stick pops out from.
    I can take a picture later, but I'll wedge a stick somewhere between the shell and the snare throw off so it's sticking straight up. Somewhere where I can't miss it as a visual cue to remind me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I'm known to drool now and then. I just get so into the music and all of the sudden I feel something wet dripping down the side of my mouth. I don't think anyone notices but it always feels embarrassing just in case someone did see it. Luckily it only happens a couple of times a year.
    Ha, I guess that's happened to me before too...I usually don't notice until I see pictures from the show and it looks like I have rabies.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I tense up. I need to relax before I count off a song.
    In my early years, I would get so tense I couldn't hold on to a stick. They'd literally just fly out of my hands because I was either too anxious or nervous.

User Info Menu

PHEW, I thought it was only me.. I did it twice the other night trying to learn a new groove..LOL
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Ha! And we wonder why drummers have a reputation of being less "evolved", LOL.
    It's OK.....I've done it too.....

Sometimes, in the middle of a song, I start to think about what I'm doing with all my arms & legs. I tell myself "DONT THINK-DONT THINK-DONT....". And then the inevitable happens. I lose all coordination and screw up the beat. I recover right away, but its embarrassing. I think it's some type of disorder, like OCD.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Oh boy, I can name several of these:

--I literally wore my teeth down keeping time by grinding my teeth. True.
    --I tend to hum the song to myself instead of listening to the band. (That's how I learned to play. I had no headphones or hifi gear, so I just hummed the song and played. This habit has been almost impossible to break)
    --Even with a metronome to kick off the song, I will drift off time by worrying about it too much. (I ignore the metronome once the song starts)
    --My last band played a few pretty complicated songs, and I would invariably screw my parts by worrying about them too much. If I just played without thinking I would nail the part every time.
    --Sometimes I would zone out and forget where we were in the song.

You'd think that after playing drums for over 50 years I would have conquered these problems a long time ago. But they still pop up. Dang it!!!!!!!!

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Man, this thread is like therapy! LOL
    It's nice to know you're not alone with some of this stuff.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    --I tend to hum the song to myself instead of listening to the band. (That's how I learned to play. I had no headphones or hifi gear, so I just hummed the song and played. This habit has been almost impossible to break)
    I do the same thing!

User Info Menu

So there is some merit to the old joke, how do you know when the stage is level? The drummer is drooling out if both sides of his mouth.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    So there is some merit to the old joke, how do you know when the stage is level? The drummer is drooling out if both sides of his mouth.

User Info Menu

When I was young I used to drum in the churches main group. We did this Sunday mornings, Sunday nights and Wednesday nights. It was a decent size congregation of close to 300 people.

Of course....back then you had to dress nicely when you attended church. I would always wear dress pants as jeans were forbidden.

(there's a long line of people in Hell for wearing jeans in church back then...lol)

Anyway....my kick drum beater would always get caught under my pants cuff when I was playing. So...most of the time I would tuck my pants cuff into my sock.

Of course at least once or twice a month I would FORGET to untuck it and walk off the stage. I did this often as Church was dismissing....and it became kind of a joke amongst the members of the Church. They had this secret agreement that they wouldn't tell me that I'd forgotten to untuck my pants from my sock just to see how long it would take until I noticed.

I looked like such a dork.........and everyone in the church enjoyed it.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Sometimes, If I'm really into the groove, I find myself tuning everything out, closing my eyes and rocking back & forth and twisting on my throne like Ray Charles, LOL.. When I finally come around and open my eyes, I can't remember anything. The guys in the band find it hilarious and tease me about it.
    Other times I get bored and find myself watching the bar TV (or other tempting things) during songs. Makes me wonder....if I'm that bored playing a certain song, how boring must it sound to the audience?
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Inevitably before the night is over, I've forgotten the names of all the women who swoon over me and my majestic drumming abilities. It's quite embarrassing. Thank goodness they usually overlook this infraction, probalby due to how sexy I look in a faded plaid shirt, skinny jeans, and beret.

Tex

User Info Menu

Oh and Late8, because I'm familiar with your computer skills...we don't need a visual of the said infraction and wardrobe.........

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Oh and Late8, because I'm familiar with your computer skills...we don't need a visual of the said infraction and wardrobe.........
    LOL...I think that I'd be more worried about Olimpass and his PhotoChop skills. You'll might end up as the next "Who is that guy?" creation.
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    Oh boy, I can name several of these:

--I literally wore my teeth down keeping time by grinding my teeth. True.
    --Even with a metronome to kick off the song, I will drift off time by worrying about it too much. (I ignore the metronome once the song starts)
    --My last band played a few pretty complicated songs, and I would invariably screw my parts by worrying about them too much. If I just played without thinking I would nail the part every time.
    --Sometimes I would zone out and forget where we were in the song.

You'd think that after playing drums for over 50 years I would have conquered these problems a long time ago. But they still pop up. Dang it!!!!!!!!

GeeDeeEmm
    I think we are long lost brothers! I have all the same habits. LOL!
    1976 Tama Imperialstar Saturn 12+1 Platina6,8,10,12,13,14,15,16 concert toms, 16, 18 floor toms, 2-22x18 Bass drums.
    1971 5x14 Ludwig acrolite snare
    Tama metalworks snare 13x6
    DW collectors Maple Blue Glass7x8, 8x10, 9x12 rack toms, 11x14, 13x16 hanging toms, 18x23 bass, 8 and 12 timbale toms, 5.5x10 Ten and Six All Maple snare, 5.5x14 Supersolid snare, DW 9000 rack system, DW 5002 Double bass pedal, DW 5000 Hi-Hat stand, DW 9000 Snare stand.
    Sabian Xs20 cymbals: 16 & 18 crash, 20 ride, 14 hats, 8 splash, 18 china.
    Zildjian cymbals: 21 ride, 15 hats. All '70's era.

User Info Menu

I commit two faux pas that are 180 degrees opposite in extremism:

1. Begin to think to much during songs
    2. Zone out during songs

Both can become problems.

User Info Menu

Right now, the #1 stupid thing I struggle with is my mind drifts while I'm playing, and I forget where I am.

On Sunday mornings, we have rehearsal at 7:45am (I know you all are jealous), and we run through all the songs one time. Then, we play the set at the 8:30am service. After this, it's off to Sunday school, and we are back at 11:00. This is where the problem is by the time I'm playing a song for the third time within the same morning, I sometimes forget where I am. I can always tell if I'm in a chorus, verse, or bridge; however, I sometimes forget which one! This becomes an issue because at the end of each phrase, the music calls for something different about every time, whether it be a stop, a build, or to play right through.

What's funny is that our worship leader has learned to play drums so that I can have a Sunday off every now and then. He experiences the same thing, and he's only been playing a few years.

User Info Menu

I tend to get super excited and bigger shows and really start pounding on my kit... poor thing takes a beating :/