Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about a DW Design Acrylic Shell Pack

User Info Menu

Default Thinking about a DW Design Acrylic Shell Pack

Toying with the idea about putting this shell pack on layaway...always wanted an acrylic kit. I saw one locally in person and it looked and sounded really punchy and loud. Never cared for the trademark round turret lugs on the Collector series kits but loved the sound of them, but unaffordable for me.

Noticed a smaller lug design for the Performance series and now the Design series has the mini turret lugs which looking even better, in my opinion. Locally priced at $1380. I was going to expand the Pork Pie Squealer kit with an 16x18" floor tom but thinking about going this route instead. Hardware for toms mounts match my Gretsch kit (12.7 mm) tom holders so I don't have to invest in new mounting hardware.

DW Quote~

"Clearly the top choice on every drummer's wish list this year. They're the first acrylics to receive the DW moniker. The transparent 5MM thick extruded, seamless acrylic shells are outfitted with pro features such as STM (Suspension Tom Mounts), True-Pitch™ Tuning, MAG Throw-Off™, F.A.S.T. (Fundamentally Accurate-Sized Toms), DW Heads™ by REMO® and more.

As shown - 18x22" bass drum, 14"x16" floor tom, 8"x10" & 9"x12" toms and 5.5"x14" snare drum (hardware and cymbals sold separately). Featuring Top-Quality Seamless Acrylic Shells, Mini Turret Lugs, F.A.S.T Sizes, STM (Suspension Tom Mounts), True-Pitch™ Tuning, MAG Throw-Off™, DW Heads™ by REMO®"

User Info Menu

Default Re: Thinking about a DW Design Acrylic Shell Pack

Have you considered Crush, they are pretty economical considering. I have Ludwig Vistalites, main reason I am a Ludwig nut, but I also have a Crush 14 x 7 Clear acrylic and it is well built and sounds awesome.

User Info Menu

Could be fun in the right environment. I would take care to keep them away from heat, and wind, cause i've heard nasty stories about them melting and getting mysterious deep scratches whenever something hit them. Seeing how it's a new line, I would go to a shop that has them and play them alternatively with a friend so you can each hear how it sounds driver seat and out in front before pulling the trigger. Best of luck deciding, these are quite tempting!
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderjig View Post
    Have you considered Crush, they are pretty economical considering. I have Ludwig Vistalites, main reason I am a Ludwig nut, but I also have a Crush 14 x 7 Clear acrylic and it is well built and sounds awesome.
    Yes, Crush looks really nice too. I wish I could afford the Ludwig Vistalites. I'm a Ludwig fan too!!

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Could be fun in the right environment. I would take care to keep them away from heat, and wind, cause i've heard nasty stories about them melting and getting mysterious deep scratches whenever something hit them. Seeing how it's a new line, I would go to a shop that has them and play them alternatively with a friend so you can each hear how it sounds driver seat and out in front before pulling the trigger. Best of luck deciding, these are quite tempting!
    I'm going down to the music store after work to look at this kit again and compare the fit and finish to the other similarly priced kits to see if any "corners" have been cut. I briefly held out on playing the DW acrylic when I was at the store the other day. That was my "downfall". I haven't stopped thinking about it since....I'll take some pics tonight and post them here.

User Info Menu

Oh, you have the fever alright! "Haven't stopped thinking about them since." Well, it's just a done deal, then.

Those are beautiful-looking drums, aren't they? I like those small DW lugs, as well. Now you can admire the back of the lugs, too!

I've noticed that Pearl specifies that their acrylic shells are seamless. Are the DW shells seamless, too? Do any of the acrylic shell manufacturers still have seams? Just curious.

Have fun tonight. And please do post pics.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderjig View Post
    I have a Crush clear acrylic 14x7 on order. It's been a week, and I'm eagerly anticipating its arrival.

User Info Menu

Rich, you're a maniac, brother!

and those looks AWESOME. Can't wait to see pics if you pull the trigger on an acrylic.

User Info Menu

Maniac is right. Can't wait to see what you end up with.

Tex

User Info Menu

I would check out the Pearl seamless ones as well. Just to make an informed decision. Pearl has made them for years, so quality should be good, and their prices always seem to be fair.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Not to start a brand war convo, but i'd trust Pearl's as well as Ludwig's execution of Acrylic a long time before these new companies. Ludwig has been doing it since what the 70's? And Pearl used to make shells for a number of very reputable companies including Gretsch, so obviously they know what they're doing by now. DW, Crush, Ddrum, they're just too new at it - and i'd want a more established company to be handling a large investment of my money if I was to choose them. Certain companies it's like, they are the one i'd go to for that sort of wood, you know? Birch, no contest i'd go to Yamaha first and foremost because they use Hokkaido birch shells on Recording Customs which i've not yet seen topped by any other. Bubinga i'd have to go to Tama because they have the market cornered on that.

What I mean is it's still too new to know whether this is the acrylic kit to shoot for or avoid. My first choice if I wanted acrylic would be vistalites, and since they've been around so long you're bound to find many deals.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Rich, I've been seriously looking into these too.....but no one around here has any, and online reviews are sparse at best................but man, they are gorgeous.

Please let me know how they sound........I'm sure they'll be great, I've never had a DW product that wasn't.

G.A.S. is kicking in soooooo hard right now.

User Info Menu

Took some pics with my iphone. . Looks great under some LEDs. Seamless shell construction with mid-level hardware but wasn't impressed with the stock heads which left some doubt in my head about what I heard. I'll post some videos I took with my iphone later. The phone mic sucks BTW...

Last edited by late8; 01-09-2015 at 11:44 PM.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

In regards to the sound of the kit, I find it a very acquired taste to want to always play an acrylic kit. I think it has a certain charm but I just couldn't get over the sound of the shells and tonight, I found out how much I like wood better. I'll pass...

User Info Menu

Oh man that's so unfortunate!!! I was hoping to hear some recordings of these as i've not heard any as of yet. Being similar to birch in performance, I imagine these would make a killer studio kit, but i'd have to put them through the paces before taking them home.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

You guys really think DW can't figure out how to make a good acrylic shell? Just because they are new at the game doesn't mean they can't build a great shell. It's not exactly rocket science, fellas.

Not knocking Pearl or Ludwig, they are both awesome. But let's bring this conversation back to earth.

User Info Menu

L8 brother.......you've been hanging out with Bish??????????

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    You guys really think DW can't figure out how to make a good acrylic shell? Just because they are new at the game doesn't mean they can't build a great shell. It's not exactly rocket science, fellas.

Not knocking Pearl or Ludwig, they are both awesome. But let's bring this conversation back to earth.
    I'm with you on this one Mark. True Ludwig has been around for a long time and their vintage acrylics can still be found. Mine are vintage. But just like every manufacturer there are problems. My biggest fear are the seams. I have seen tons of Ludwigs seams popped, cracks behind the lugs and also spiderwebbing. I feel with the newer company's taking on acrylic have surely investigated it all and I like the seamless concept. Clear acrylic has great curb appeal and my thoughts are, If you can afford it and it's something you surely want, get it, the boominess of the acrylics can be tamed especially with evans hydraulic heads. You only go around once in this lifetime, enjoy it.

User Info Menu

That is gorgeus and I have heard ones that sound great and others not so much. I think it all comes down to head selection even more so than wood kits. Good thing about having an acrylic is you can have a different color kit every night .
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

So, would that bass drum be considered a "Pillow Case"?
    “I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    In regards to the sound of the kit, I find it a very acquired taste to want to always play an acrylic kit. I think it has a certain charm but I just couldn't get over the sound of the shells and tonight, I found out how much I like wood better. I'll pass...
    IMO, this is a good move. They look cool, but I would have no use for the sound. I've listened to the Ludwig Bonham kits online, and while they may work for some, I don't think they would ever work for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Well since you are such a nice guy, and I am really trying hard to be careful with what I say on these sites, I can now say that I am glad you have changed your mind. I just don't understand the attraction to these kits, for looks, and for sound. They are also very fragile. Pearl has had a very hard time coming up with the right formula for their latest release of Crystal Beats. They only offer a 2 year warranty on the shells. Not their usual lifetime warranty. They also get marked up very easily.
    Last edited by Sticks4drums; 01-10-2015 at 09:38 AM.

User Info Menu

There's nothing to think about... If I could afford it I would own it in a heart beat

User Info Menu

iphone videos here

Click the boxes to link to my Photobucket:

on top of the kit:

from side of kit:

with a groove: