Thread: pearl for Tama swap

User Info Menu

Default pearl for Tama swap

hey everyone

after a bit of advice please, can anyone give me comparisons or advice on a straight swap for a Pearl Reference 22/16/12 and a Tama starclassic B/B 22/16/12/10

both used but both in to Condition.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Default Re: pearl for Tama swap

I know little about either one of these shells.
    But if forced to decide today, I'd get the Starclassics.
    I never heard a set of those that didn't sound good.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I would go for the Reference but then that's me Pearl all the way lol

User Info Menu

If you need a 5-piece drum set, I'd consider it. But, if you just plan on playing a 4-piece after the swap, I'd keep the Pearls.

User Info Menu

I really like the sound of the Tama Birch/Bubinga Star Classics, to me it's my favorite Tama drum ever.

The Pearl Reference is a great kit as well of course, that's a tough call.
    -Mike

"We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing."

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

"Snare drums happen."

User Info Menu

I have Pearl Masters and have had Starclassic B/Bs. Both are outstanding, both are built well and both have very well made hardware.

I've not heard anything super positive about reference kits. I've heard most opinions that they aren't worth the money and to go with Masters if you are looking at Pearl.

Between the two, I'd go with the Starclassics.

Specifically, the tonal quality and overall sound of the B/Bs are unmatched.

The bass drum will blow you away without a doubt.
    Last edited by Bish; 01-15-2015 at 09:45 AM.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I'd agree with Bish. I wasn't crazy about the Reference drums, especially for the money; Masters are a better option. I almost bought the Starclassics, but opted for Masters in the end. It came down to a matter of personal taste.
    ||Music produces a kind of pleasure which human nature cannot do without. ~Confucius||

Pearl Masters Custom - Emerald Mist with gold hardware 12/13/16/22

PDP LX - Cherry Fade
    8/10/12/14/16/22

Zildjian A Custom 16/18/20 1970's 14" New Beat hats
    Sabian 16" Ozone crash

Roland TD-3 and TD-10 A to E Kit.

User Info Menu

I am pretty sure a used 3pc reference is worth the same as a new 4-pc B/B never mind used. I always thought the B/B was an ok kit but the sound never really blew me away but they look fantastic.

All I know about references is a few people I have talked to have mentioned they are very heavy and a bear to lug around for gigging but they absolutely love the sound. I have never heard one live though so cannot comment on that.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Well I would get the Tama's, just for the mounting system alone. I will probably never buy a Pearl kit until they move away from the large tubes and mounts.

User Info Menu

I wouldn't rush into swapping your Pearls for Tama B/Bs. Although a used Tama B/B shell pack is at the top of my 'want list' they seem to come up for sale on E bay fairly often, and if not realistically priced, remain listed for ages before selling/not selling but listing removed?

Last year NEW Tama B/B 22,10,12,16 shell packs were for sale for £900 including delivery. The way I mentally price drum gear you should be able to pick up a pristine used example for £500 - 600. I think MDK made a valid point - the Pearls do not come up for sale frequently and should have a higher resale value than the Tama.

I would only go ahead with the trade if you have decided you have made a mistake buying Pearls.

User Info Menu

I hope to one day own a starclassic bubinga. Portnoy uses them. The rack toms just have an amazing sound at a higher pitch. Personally I would go with the Tama kit
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    I hope to one day own a starclassic bubinga. Portnoy uses them. The rack toms just have an amazing sound at a higher pitch. Personally I would go with the Tama kit
    He is not getting a starclassic Bubinga, it's a Birch/Bubinga
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    He is not getting a starclassic Bubinga, it's a Birch/Bubinga
    Thanks mdk. I'm just stating I would go with the Tama's.
    Last edited by FlyByNight; 01-15-2015 at 10:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Not a huge fan of either of these kits. Hybrid shells just don't make it for me. Both are pro level and personally I think the Starclassic is the better choice, all the shells are the same two materials, which for me is better than the every shell made of different stuff approach of the Reference. Can you give us a third option?

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

What are the finishes of the kits? Cause thats going to be what this discussion boils down to.

Both are incredible kits, and have the ability to sound incredible. But is one prettier?
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    What are the finishes of the kits? Cause thats going to be what this discussion boils down to.

Both are incredible kits, and have the ability to sound incredible. But is one prettier?
    Very good point, because I would say most drummers pic their kits on looks first and foremost.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks4drums View Post
    Very good point, because I would say most drummers pic their kits on looks first and foremost.
    Its an unfortunate truth. But when you get into the league of pro drums they are all so good that finishes can be a decision maker.

I think intermediate level drums have the most variation so there is a lot more to discuss when it comes to them.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    Its an unfortunate truth. But when you get into the league of pro drums they are all so good that finishes can be a decision maker.

I think intermediate level drums have the most variation so there is a lot more to discuss when it comes to them.
    For me it is price. Why pay $5000 when you can get great sound from $2000.

User Info Menu

Of those two choices, I'd personally choose the Tama. It'll probably be my next kit if I choose to sell the Peavey.
    DW Performance Series
    Peavey Radial Pro RBS-1
    Roland TDW-20

Gibraltar rack system
    Sabian AA/AAX/HHX/Vault
    Tama pedals