Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: throne

User Info Menu

Default throne

I couldnt take the stock Tama throne anymore,I practice allot and my but and back was killing me so I decided to pony up and spend some jack on one of these

Roc-N-Soc Nitro Hydraulic Drum Throne

User Info Menu

Good purchase, Aunkster. I've been thinking long and hard about a new throne too. Right now I'm still sitting on the one that came with my beginner kit. I'm assuming that it's one of those $20.00 thrones because it was a throw in on my drum purchase. Let me know how you like the bit of motion that the hydraulic provides. I understand that it's got a little springiness to it, and I wasn't sure how I'd feel about that. I do like the tractor seat, though. I sit on a Rock N Soc at the music store when I get my lessons. The thing I'm wrestling over is whether I want to get a throne with a back support. I hear all the time about drumming and the toll it takes on the back. The only thing I'm not sure about is whether the back support would interfere with the natural movement as you play. If you've worked through any of this in your decision to buy the new throne, I would appreciate any advice you have to offer. Thanks!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Default Drum Stool

One of the best purchases you can make is a quality drum stool, especially if it has a backrest. I only use my backrest at home practicing though. I don't like it on the gig.

User Info Menu

Thanks Drummer! I appreciate the advice. That clears up a lot for me. It's not that the cheap throne is uncomfortable for me, it's just that I want a throne that will protect my back since my years as a chiropractor already took a toll on my lower back.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

back rest eh? thanks drummer. you've cleared things up for me too. i wanna get a normal roc n soc stool tho, not hydraulics, i just cant find a store that will order it for me, since i dont have a credit card, or my parents. i cant order it myself.

User Info Menu

When i go to lessons I sit on on what I ordered and I love it ,what a difference..

I did go to a store and set on one with a backrest and there was something about it thats hard to describe.
    It just felt un natural while setting at a set of drums.Its probably just me but I did try before I purchased this one.

User Info Menu

Thanks Aunkster, I'll see if I can find a place to "test drive" a throne with a back rest. Probably the best thing for me to do is abdominal, and lower back exercises which would help me sit with good posture without needing the backrest.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Thanks Aunkster, I'll see if I can find a place to "test drive" a throne with a back rest. Probably the best thing for me to do is abdominal, and lower back exercises which would help me sit with good posture without needing the backrest.
    whoa ..man the first 20 minutes of my first lesson..Honest to goodness was my instructor showing me posture...he is really into posture..he corrects me everyweek..

User Info Menu

Sounds like you've got a good instructor, Aunkster. He's paying attention to seeing that you do things right.

User Info Menu

Thanks,Im very pleased..at first i was kind of disapointed because he was focusing on things I believed were not drun related,,wow was I wrong..its the little things thats helped me the most

User Info Menu

Yeah, I kind of had the same experience. The guy I started with had back surgery, and the owner of the music store became my new teacher. I was pretty critical of him at first. Drummer even took me to task for getting kind of upset over what the guy was doing with me. Now I recognize how good the guy really is, and even though the first guy has recovered from his surgery, I find myself torn between the two guys, because I have so much respect for the store owner!

User Info Menu

Cool throne

Hey, pastor, you got the best of both worlds now!

Now on the subject of thrones...I went over to (horrors!) Guitar Center to look at thrones...and finally saw and sat on a Pork Pie...

I don't know what all the fuss was about, since it was comfortable, but the longer I sat, the more I felt like I was sitting on an inflatable chair that was losing its air...and even at $130, $150 or $160 (depending on how fancy you want to get), I've come to the conclusion a tractor-style seat is the one I'll get as an upgrade since the Pork Pie seemed overpriced for what it offers...

any thoughts?
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post

Now on the subject of thrones...I went over to (horrors!) Guitar Center to look at thrones...and finally saw and sat on a Pork Pie...

I don't know what all the fuss was about, since it was comfortable, but the longer I sat, the more I felt like I was sitting on an inflatable chair that was losing its air...and even at $130, $150 or $160 (depending on how fancy you want to get), I've come to the conclusion a tractor-style seat is the one I'll get as an upgrade since the Pork Pie seemed overpriced for what it offers...

any thoughts?
    I purchased mine from musicians friend at a great price..(at least i think so)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post

any thoughts?
    BB, I had the same reation to the Pork Pie. It was great when I first sat down, but....I think the freedom of the thigh movement on the tractor seat is more than just hype. I'm going tractor seat.

User Info Menu

I agree with yall as far as the regular "round" Pork Pie thrones go. However, I LOVE my Pork Pie tractor style throne even more than my Roc-N-Soc...or more than any I've sat on. Yes they are expensive but worth it, much less than the $230 I paid for my Roc. No offense yall I just thought I'd put out my opinion.

Here's a pic of my milk crate I sit on. Notice that the top is a velvet material and it's very soft but thick. I do agree with you though Bongo, they can be very soft and conform to your body, which some find it annoying.
    Sorry about putting up the pic (as I like to put up pictures) I just thought I'd show ya. Blessings.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

This is a pic of my boy Bujii on the Roc. He's a good drummer but better as my manager!(so he thinks)
    ok ok no more pics.......sorry hehe

Blessings....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by middleman; 10-19-2007 at 02:50 AM.

User Info Menu

I paid 159.00 for the roc n soc nitro

User Info Menu

Cool throne

Haven't nailed down my throne yet; I prefer somethin' with a bit more support...sat on a Remo the other night when I was playin' congas at my drum lesson and it was a bit firm but more supportive than the Pork Pie...it was round, of course, and still prefer the tractor seat, but I wouldn't count this one out either!

BTW, middleman, that's one cool cat you got there...figuratively and literally!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

I need a new throne!

User Info Menu

BTW, middleman, that's one cool cat you got there...figuratively and literally!

You like my manager? I have two exotic/hybrid cats. This one has Asian Leopard Cat blood (a wild cat in Asia) and my other one is half bobcat. They're a lot of fun, but quite a bit more active than your normal house cat. What I like especially is that they both guard me like a dog would. When I'm in my room and someone they don't know comes in my house, they lay in front of my doorway blocking the door. Maybe I'll post a couple of pics of them on the off topic section. Blessings......

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drum_chick View Post
    I need a new throne!
    Got my new throne today!!!! Feels nice on my hiney!

User Info Menu

looks just like mine..great minds think alike

User Info Menu

I have that one. It's the best I've owned.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drum_chick View Post
    Got my new throne today!!!! Feels nice on my hiney!
    DAMN!- Thats one lucky throne !!
    (well......someone had to say it - leave it to the Aussie )
    ' Up the Irons '

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wotto View Post
    DAMN!- Thats one lucky throne !!
    (well......someone had to say it - leave it to the Aussie )
    LOL Wotto