Thread: Any simple songs or parts you have difficulty playing?

User Info Menu

Default Any simple songs or parts you have difficulty playing?

There's a song we do at church called "The Greatness of Our God." I'm pretty much over any difficulty with that song, but it used to drive me nuts over two parts. There's bridge where all of the instrumentalists drop out (except for me) and everyone keeps singing. Then a few phrases later, ALL of instrumentalists drop out again (including me this time), and everyone sings acapella without me playing. For the first 6 months we played this song, I would ALWAYS get these parts mixed up. Every. Stinking. Time!!! I'd play when I wasn't supposed to, and I'd drop out when I was supposed to play. Our praise and worship leader was always cool with it and would just laugh because he knew that no amount of berating coming from him would equal the amount of negative self-talk that I'd give myself for days afterwards.

I think what drove me the most crazy is that it's such a super-simple part that, for whatever reason, I had issues with and I could never remember...even with notes! I hate messing up simple stuff, especially when it's a consistent mess-up.

Anyone else consider himself/herself a pretty-ok drummer, but there there's one song (or part of a song) that, for whatever reason, you mess up or can't play even though or mess up every time? Please tell me I'm not alone here...

User Info Menu

Default Re: Any simple songs or parts you have difficulty playing?

I just forget parts occasionally. If I play the song a second time I'll probably get it right but during a gig there is no second chance.

User Info Menu

You are definitely not alone...............had rehearsal last night and didn't nail the breaks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 8beat View Post
    I just forget parts occasionally. If I play the song a second time I'll probably get it right but during a gig there is no second chance.
    This is me too. Songs I've played hundreds of times...I'm still capable of screwing them up the first time through. You are right about the 'no second chance' part...

Tex

User Info Menu

I don't think you can name any mishap that I have not committed. And sometimes repeatedly. Like the opening to American Band. Simple, simple, simple. I can do it in my sleep. But, I cannot count the number of times that I would bring that song in too fast, even after checking the metronome for the proper tempo!

Another song: Our band had "Carry On" nailed. We all loved that song and practiced it until we had every note perfect. But I would inevitably forget where we were in the song. I always managed to cover it when I screwed up, but I knew I'd gotten lost, and it always infuriated me.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Last week we started learning "walking on sunshine" but we always beef up and redo fun songs... well we put some breaks and pauses in the song and for the life of me I kept forgetting them lol

User Info Menu

"Wild Nights"....played it 100+ times and nailed the breaks every time but when it came time to record it on the demo last weekend, I blew right passed the second break....no second chance to re-do it. Oh well, nobody's going to listen to the entire song anyway...

User Info Menu

Currently I screw up the accenting on "cannot keep you" by Gungor, I have it down and it's fun to play but I just zone out sometimes and I make a total mess of it.
    Wear hearing protection.

User Info Menu

Oh and on "move along" by All American Rejects my coordination sometimes fails me during the final chorus.
    Wear hearing protection.

User Info Menu

The intro to GnRs, She's Crazy off of Appetite.

Dont know why it just never feels right to me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    The intro to GnRs, She's Crazy off of Appetite.

Dont know why it just never feels right to me.
    Because to me, the beat sounds like it's behind, if that makes any sense.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!