Thread: Alesis DM lite

User Info Menu

Default Alesis DM lite

So there is this place that has an open mic, and I went there this week for a laugh.

They have the Alesis DM Lite kit there, and I was wondering if someone could explain it to me cause it makes little sense to me.

1. The pads have lights that flash when you hit them. It's kinda cool when you watch it for the first few minutes, but as a drummer wouldn't that be really annoying?

2. The snare is on the same rack as the HH, and you can't extend it so it is between the knees, but rather is in front of your left knee (roughly).

3. The pads are extremely small, i think 4" in diameter (12cm).

4. It has 10 programmed kits, 1 of them is a marimba. If you count each trigger, you get 9, which is more than an octave, but not enough to include minor/major notes. It sounds good, but of all possible kits, why this one?

5. It has the build quality of a rock band kit (at least what I assume it would be). Extremely cheap.

And yet, it has really good sound. It's like they put 90% of the budget into the sound and the rest just phoned in. I know it's an entry level kit, but I just can't figure out for whom it is. If you learned drums on it, you'd develop really horrible technique and probably epilepsy as well. even for a drummer who needed a practice kit only, it would be a huge failure...

Any thoughts?
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

Default Re: Alesis DM lite

It is an inexpensive kit with a volume control. Might be handy in some situations.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Alesis DM lite

That's what im trying to figure out, in which situations? if money is an issue, you're better off just buying the practice pad kit (as applies to space and volume issues as well). the only redeeming value is the sound, but given all the minuses, i don't see it.

I did learn that the site musician's friend very likely pays people to write positive reviews, because if this kit get 4/5 stars like everything else i see there, then the reviews are fake...
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22