Thread: Venues Switching your Playing times...?

User Info Menu

Thumbs down Venues Switching your Playing times...?

So every now and then it's very nice our band will play random show nights with several other bands. Nice quick hour set and then band swap.

Well last night we drove 45 minutes out to a show. We were not looking forward to playing a Sunday night in the first place, but we were told we would be first band starting at 8 till 8:45. There were 4 bands in total playing. Once we got there they hit us with this "sorry for reasons out of our control we had to switch you and the last band, so now you will be playing at 12:30 till 1:15"

We were livid. We asked why and what circumstances and they couldn't tell us. Most of us work early in the morning and didn't want to be there in the first place. Then at 8 when they were suppose to start the first band started late and ended late. So we said sorry we're not playing. If you can't give a valid reason why you had to switch us around then there obviously wasn't one.

Luckily we hadn't even unpacked the trailer yet cause it was an awful experience dealing with these people. So we all used our free drink vouchers listened to the first band and then left.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Venues Switching your Playing times...?

Sounds like someone in the first band that played had some pull with the owner or manager, LOL. I don't blame you. I would never drive 45 minutes just to play one set unless it payed really well. Then to be the LAST set on a Sunday night? No way.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I've been there. Usually b/c one of the bands are a bunch of jerk offs. Dealt with that more than once.

User Info Menu

The girl putting on the show who made the original schedule over a month ago... is apparently the band promoter for the band who was scheduled to go last. So as a band we agreed we would not deal with her or them again.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    The girl putting on the show who made the original schedule over a month ago... is apparently the band promoter for the band who was scheduled to go last. So as a band we agreed we would not deal with her or them again.
    Ya, no one wants to be out late. I'd bet they said they didn't want to play last and all the sudden you guys are in their slot.

User Info Menu

So every now and then it's very nice our band will play random show nights with several other bands. Nice quick hour set and then band swap.

Well last night we drove 45 minutes out to a show. We were not looking forward to playing a Sunday night in the first place, but we were told we would be first band starting at 8 till 8:45. There were 4 bands in total playing. Once we got there they hit us with this "sorry for reasons out of our control we had to switch you and the last band, so now you will be playing at 12:30 till 1:15"

We were livid. We asked why and what circumstances and they couldn't tell us. Most of us work early in the morning and didn't want to be there in the first place. Then at 8 when they were suppose to start the first band started late and ended late. So we said sorry we're not playing. If you can't give a valid reason why you had to switch us around then there obviously wasn't one.

Luckily we hadn't even unpacked the trailer yet cause it was an awful experience dealing with these people. So we all used our free drink vouchers listened to the first band and then left.
    That sounds horrific...you handled it a lot better than I would have. I would have gone crazy! We get pushed back 30 min or so sometimes and even a little adjustment like that makes me bonkers. Glad you bailed on playing, that late on a sunday is just crazy

User Info Menu

Stuff happens. I wouldn't go there again unless they gave me a deposit first.

User Info Menu

I read this stuff and realize how lucky I was that I starting playing in bands in the '60's, and was "established" as a drummer in the early '70's, after my 4 years with Uncle Sam.

We didn't have to put up with that crap.

User Info Menu

Ha! Knew there was some kind of connection. I think you handled it well. She needs to learn she cant get away with that. It might also be that the band pressured her...in which case she needs to grow a backbone and they need to learn respect for others. Maybe she promised them the first set in the beginning but couldn't fill the last set, so she moved them to the last without telling them. It's hard to say for sure.

We had a gig scheduled last fall with a local M.C. for their fall poker run. We played a charity gig for them that spring and they booked us for their fall rally in exchange....4 months in advance. A week before the gig they decided to have us play at the last stop at a new local bar (instead of their clubhouse). They told me they still wanted us to play, shook my hand and said "it's a done deal, We'll put your name on the posters". The bar manager, however, booked one of his buddy's band to play that night.... Who were already booked for that night at another local bar (double booked). When the posters came out, the other band was on them. No one called me to explain or even let me know we were cancelled. The other band waited and cancelled their existing gig at the last minute to play the MC party (which payed much better).
    Needless to say, we will never play at that bar again and we'll never do a charity gig for that MC again. If they want us to play, they'll need to pay us.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Had this happen once at a battle of the bands. We were told we would be 3rd or 4th on. So we should have been on at roughly 6pm. Then at 3:45 the guy running the event rushes us to get on stage, it was an hour drive so the 30 people we had driving up to support us were either still driving or had barely left.

We went on with 1 person in the crowd (the other bands were so unsupportive) and by the end of our set only 3-4 people had gotten to see a little bit of our set. We approached the event coordinator and demanded a full refund for all of the tickets we sold because so few of the people who bought tickets from us even got to come because of the 2 hour change.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    Had this happen once at a battle of the bands. We were told we would be 3rd or 4th on. So we should have been on at roughly 6pm. Then at 3:45 the guy running the event rushes us to get on stage, it was an hour drive so the 30 people we had driving up to support us were either still driving or had barely left.

We went on with 1 person in the crowd (the other bands were so unsupportive) and by the end of our set only 3-4 people had gotten to see a little bit of our set. We approached the event coordinator and demanded a full refund for all of the tickets we sold because so few of the people who bought tickets from us even got to come because of the 2 hour change.
    Now that one is awful to hear!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post

I don't know what it is about these Battle of the Bands type gigs that brings out the ignoramus (that's probably the politest phrase I can think of) in many musicians. I have been to quite a few of these events over the years (as a customer - not a band member) and noticed first hand how some bands can be unsupportive at best - and sometimes openly abusive towards the bands that are playing. I have seen several of the bands that were performing that night playing the same venues (on the same evening) without 'behavioural problems'. Competition doesn't bring out the best in some.

I have stopped going to these events - the last one I went to locally- as well as the above mentioned behaviour the judges were friends with one of the bands playing and this obviously affected their assessment - which caused some consternation at the end of the evening. Not that the band that won at the end were crap - but the general consensus of opinion was that their friendship with the judges was more relevant than their actual ability.

Sorry to hear that your times were changed so drastically - sounds like the organisers were jerks.

User Info Menu

I've had this happen a lot whenever playing with multiple bands. While the order has remained the same, the other bands always run late and/or set changes happen too slowly. One festival I played at, whoever organized the thing only allowed 10 min between bands. To compound the issue, this was an all-day event, and we were supposed to play mid afternoon. We were probably close to starting 2 hours past our original time.

User Info Menu

So, where did this happen?
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Well played Spaz---too many bands put up with crap like that, and it makes things hard for the rest of us---these jerkoffs need to understand that we are bringing thousands of dollars worth of gear to make a hundred bucks, and maybe a few beers or some chicken wings---I'm not ready to get bent over, so I get everything in writing before I even think about showing up

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    So, where did this happen?
    Since you live right by me it was there in Madison at the Inferno.

User Info Menu

Bad business for sure. I'd be livid as heck.

Tex

User Info Menu

I like the way you guys handled that dummy, SPAZ.

Such irresponsibility with some people in the business............very hard to deal with sometimes.

I remember the first gig we got when I was in my classic rock band in Dallas (mid70s). Back then when you got a good club gig in Dallas it was for the entire week. We would play six nights.............they would give the bands Monday off so everyone could watch MNF.

Under the terms of the contract, we were supposed to show up at 3pm on Sunday to load in...........do a sound check by 6pm............and then return to begin the first set at 9pm.
    We get there and the band from the previous week had not yet cleared the stage, which they should have done the night before..............all their gear is sitting there in our way. We wait until 5pm and they finally show up, putting us way behind and blowing our entire opening day schedule.

When they finally showed up, we recognized who it was...............Jimmy Vaughan and the Fabulous Thunderbirds............long before they ever made any money..............after that I never thought of them as fabulous............just irresponsible like a lot of other slugs.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Since you live right by me it was there in Madison at the Inferno.
    I haven't heard of them pulling that type of act on bands before. Perhaps it was just this particular promoter. Either way, I like how you guys handled it.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Heh, "promoter". At least thats how it is around here. Middle man. Money taker. Do nothing-er.

User Info Menu

I haven't heard of them pulling that type of act on bands before. Perhaps it was just this particular promoter. Either way, I like how you guys handled it.
    yeah it wasn't the venues fault at all. It was definitely this chick "promoter" who we have had nothing but issues with. She is definitely horrible to work with and we all agree we'd no longer work with her.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    Heh, "promoter". At least thats how it is around here. Middle man. Money taker. Do nothing-er.
    But, but, but, I had 200 people on facebook say they'd be there. Where's my cut.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Well played spaz. You guys did the right thing.

User Info Menu

But, but, but, I had 200 people on facebook say they'd be there. Where's my cut.
    Exactly.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    I like the way you guys handled that dummy, SPAZ.

Such irresponsibility with some people in the business............very hard to deal with sometimes.

I remember the first gig we got when I was in my classic rock band in Dallas (mid70s). Back then when you got a good club gig in Dallas it was for the entire week. We would play six nights.............they would give the bands Monday off so everyone could watch MNF.

Under the terms of the contract, we were supposed to show up at 3pm on Sunday to load in...........do a sound check by 6pm............and then return to begin the first set at 9pm.
    We get there and the band from the previous week had not yet cleared the stage, which they should have done the night before..............all their gear is sitting there in our way. We wait until 5pm and they finally show up, putting us way behind and blowing our entire opening day schedule.

When they finally showed up, we recognized who it was...............Jimmy Vaughan and the Fabulous Thunderbirds............long before they ever made any money..............after that I never thought of them as fabulous............just irresponsible like a lot of other slugs.

Was Bar Z going then?