Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This date 1 year ago...

User Info Menu

Default Re: This date 1 year ago...

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Marko:

That was me for 12 years.
    I would gladly do studio gigs............usually just a one-day commitment after a couple of rehearsals.............but I didn't want the band hassle.
    But, two years ago I was invited to join some really good players and I'm having fun with it again.

Never say never.................
    I'd do studio stuff. But the fact of the matter is I'm not very good and I don't have any time to get better. But you're right, it's the day to day stuff that wears on me after a while.

Quote Originally Posted by porkpieguy View Post
    Hey Mark, how do you feel about drumming these days? Burned out? Complacent? Are you itching to get back out there? Wanting to try a different genre?

Just curious...
    Nah I love playing. It's fun to get behind the kit when my wife and daughter aren't home. But no desire to get back out and play live. And like I said, I'm really not all that good so different genres would require me to actually know how to play. LOL.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    I'd do studio stuff. But the fact of the matter is I'm not very good and I don't have any time to get better. But you're right, it's the day to day stuff that wears on me after a while.

Nah I love playing. It's fun to get behind the kit when my wife and daughter aren't home. But no desire to get back out and play live. And like I said, I'm really not all that good so different genres would require me to actually know how to play. LOL.
    NOW, you are being a little ridiculous. You're a great drummer, and any band should be happy to have you.

Heck, I've played rock and roll for years, but I'm getting together with some folkies/bluegrassers tonight. I bought a decent set of brushes, and I doubt if I'll play anything but the kick and the snare, but who cares? It'll be fun. I know these guys, and it looks like I'll be the wild card in this band. It's a good buncha folks.
    Last edited by porkpieguy; 01-29-2015 at 09:31 AM.

User Info Menu

NOW, you are being a little ridiculous. You're a great drummer, and any band should be happy to have you.

Heck, I've played rock and roll for years, but I'm getting together with some folkies/bluegrassers tonight. I bought a decent set of brushes, and I doubt if I'll play anything but the kick and the snare, but who cares? It'll be fun. I know these guys, and it looks like I'll be the wild card in this band. It's a good buncha folks.
    You're far too kind, my brother. I learned a few tricks and just do them well. HAHA.

User Info Menu

I remember seeing the post originally. We all have to do what we have to do.. and if you don't want to play live so be it.

User Info Menu

You're far too kind, my brother. I learned a few tricks and just do them well. HAHA.

Yup, I feel the same way. When I learned hammered dulcimer, I basically figured out about 3 different tricks, and I just do them over and over. Same way with drums.

I tell people that I've been playing drums for about 20 years, but I swear I sound like I've been playing for about 3 or 4. I'm good enough to get obligated, but not good enough to deliver but about 70% of the time.

User Info Menu

Yup, I feel the same way. When I learned hammered dulcimer, I basically figured out about 3 different tricks, and I just do them over and over. Same way with drums.

I tell people that I've been playing drums for about 20 years, but I swear I sound like I've been playing for about 3 or 4. I'm good enough to get obligated, but not good enough to deliver but about 70% of the time.
    Over promise and under deliver is what I always say!

User Info Menu

I learned a few tricks and just do them well. HAHA.
    Please know that I'm am in no way saying that this is you (I've watched the vids and you're a good drummer).

It's amazing how many drummers I've seen actually get away with knowing (and in some instances mastering) 3 or 4 fills combined with being able to loosely keep the meter. That pretty much is the extent of their capabilities. Ask them to deviate just a little and it's like you're asking them to touch the third rail. To the casual observer, these guys can actually play the drums.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Please know that I'm am in no way saying that this is you (I've watched the vids and you're a good drummer).

It's amazing how many drummers I've seen actually get away with knowing (and in some instances mastering) 3 or 4 fills combined with being able to loosely keep the meter. That pretty much is the extent of their capabilities. Ask them to deviate just a little and it's like you're asking them to touch the third rail. To the casual observer, these guys can actually play the drums.
    .....That's Me!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    .....That's Me!
    lol.

User Info Menu

Quote: "I'm not very good . . . . "

I have to admit right up front that I've never had an appreciation for the kind of vocal style your singer has (one friend who IS a fan said it sounds like singing while working up a hocker ). But, I did take the time to listen thru most of your video, and you really are a good drummer - not a one-trick pony by any means.

And I must commend you on the sound of your Tamas. The toms, especially, really sing and display great tone and attack. I've wanted a set of Starclassics or Performers since the first time I played them, and the sound of your kit has just reinforced that opinion.

Thanks for posting the video.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    Quote: "I'm not very good . . . . "

I have to admit right up front that I've never had an appreciation for the kind of vocal style your singer has (one friend who IS a fan said it sounds like singing while working up a hocker ). But, I did take the time to listen thru most of your video, and you really are a good drummer - not a one-trick pony by any means.

And I must commend you on the sound of your Tamas. The toms, especially, really sing and display great tone and attack. I've wanted a set of Starclassics or Performers since the first time I played them, and the sound of your kit has just reinforced that opinion.

Thanks for posting the video.

GeeDeeEmm
    I appreciate you taking the time to watch and for the kind words, my friend. Those drums do sound great. I snagged those from a friend who was in a hard spot for $500 cash. 6 drums and a set of Zildjian A Custom mastersound hats. One heck of a score. I got a lot of compliments on the sound of them over the years.