Thread: Big Band Drummers thread

User Info Menu

Default Big Band Drummers thread

I think we need a Big Band drum thread here. Anyone who plays in one or wants to play in one please contribute. I'll start.

I play in a 17 pc. Glenn Miller style Big Band called Talk of the Town. The band is made up of all age groups from college students to retired people. Until recently we even had one trumpet player who played in USO bands in the 40's. He, btw, was also a fighter pilot but didn't get a chance to see any combat. The band performs most Tuesdays at retirement centers and nursing homes for free throughout the OKC metro area which amounts to our rehearsals. We also have some paid gigs but for very little money. We travel with a book of almost 1000 tunes of which we play only a few regularly. Since we play all over the OKC metro area, which is 40 miles across in both directions, there are several musicians for most positions including drummers. Because of this we rotate musicians in and out. Due to my recent illness I haven't played with them since April 14, but I will be doing two gigs in the near future.

All of you Big Band drummers or want to bes, tell us of your experiences.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Big Band Drummers thread

Your band sounds fun. Do you have any videos of y'all playing?

Tex

User Info Menu

I have recently become very interested in learning this style of drumming. If anyone can post some bands/songs/albums I should listen to , to get myself started I'd appreciate it.

User Info Menu

I've dabbled in it. A few bands here and there but I'm certainly not the premier big band drummer. I just didn't love it enough - but I loved the arrangements and playing with the horns.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Your band sounds fun. Do you have any videos of y'all playing?

Tex
    Unfortunately not.

User Info Menu

I have no interest in playing for a big band unless this guy is the one front and center. Then, I'd do anything to do it:

User Info Menu

I play in a community band and about a quarter of our repertoire is Big Band. I wish it were more.

As for what to listen to, go on iTunes or Spotify or such sites and go into the radio stations by genre and you will find Big Band stations.
    Life's too short to play the same solo twice. Improvise!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    I have recently become very interested in learning this style of drumming. If anyone can post some bands/songs/albums I should listen to , to get myself started I'd appreciate it.
    Start here:
    Buddy Rich
    Count Basie
    Duke Ellington
    Thad Jones & Mel Lewis
    All top-notch big bands

User Info Menu

Get a good ride rhythm down on the ride and hi hat. Swing your eight notes. Be melodic on your toms.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post

"it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

Played in a jazz band in college for a couple of semesters and jammed more than a few times with enough guys/gals to qualify as a "band".

Playing in a jazz band was all I wanted to do since I was a kid.

R&R=$

Jazz was love.

I would have played in a jazz band for 1/2 what they paid me to play R&R.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Played in a jazz band in college for a couple of semesters and jammed more than a few times with enough guys/gals to qualify as a "band".

Playing in a jazz band was all I wanted to do since I was a kid.

R&R=$

Jazz was love.

I would have played in a jazz band for 1/2 what they paid me to play R&R.
    Sort of reminds me of a guitar joke:

Rock guitar players play 3-4 chords in front of thousands of people.

Jazz guitar players play thousands of guitar chords for 3-4 people.