Thread: Which conga head?

User Info Menu

Default Which conga head?

I'm considering getting a pair (Conga & Tumba) of Meinl Marathon congas. The factory heads are buffalo which seem to be universaley disliked by almost everybody. I'd like to upgrade to Remo synthetics which come in 3 flavors. FIBERSKYN, NUSKYN, and SKYNDEEP. Anyone have knowledge of the differences in sound and playability of these 3 head types. I very much would like to know.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Which conga head?

Quote Originally Posted by Old returning drummer View Post
    I'm considering getting a pair (Conga & Tumba) of Meinl Marathon congas. The factory heads are buffalo which seem to be universaley disliked by almost everybody. I'd like to upgrade to Remo synthetics which come in 3 flavors. FIBERSKYN, NUSKYN, and SKYNDEEP. Anyone have knowledge of the differences in sound and playability of these 3 head types. I very much would like to know.
    No idea...................welcome to DC

I have a lot of experience with MOLESKIN, unfortunately

User Info Menu

I have used both Fiberskyn and Nuskyn heads. Not on congas but Djembes and ashikos. The Fiberskyn are brighter and seems to be more responsive. The Nuskyn have fever overtones and seem to want an more precise hit. Personally I would not use either one on congas unless you have a specific reason--like wanting a constant tuning or giging a lot. My preference would be north american steer for congas.
    but again it is all personal preference.

User Info Menu

I have Fiberskyn heads on my LP Matador bongos and think they sound great. At least on these drums, they have a warm sound but with a lot of pop. They don't sound very synthetic at all. I've played them on a set of congas as well (LP fiberglass of some kind). They sounded very full on those as well, although they were more ringy because of the fiberglass.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Which conga head?

I have a Fiberskyn on, of all things, a Remo tumba (think it's made of a composite material that has a finish similar to the bedliner of a pickup truck). I like the bass amd the crack I get on rimshots...doesn't sound synthetic at all. Worth a look, ORD...and welcome aboard, bro'!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck