Thread: kickdrum leg

User Info Menu

Default kickdrum leg

my kickdrum leg starts burning after awhile, is this normal for a newbie, or am i doing my foot wrong?

User Info Menu

Do you use heel up or heel down? Its normal, just keep practicing. It'll go away soon
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Sounds like it might be the normal exercise "burn." Anytime you push a muscle to the level of fatigue you can "feel the burn." It's actually a good thing, because you are building endurance, over time. If you play with you heel down and tap with you toes, you'll get a burn in the calf, and front of the lower leg. If you play heel up, where you're using the whole leg to play, you'll get a burn in the front of the thigh. If this is what you are experiencing, congratulations, it means you are puttin' in the time! Keep it up, because as Andreeew said, "It'll go away soon."
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

i dunno if my heel is up or down, i keep my foot raised hovering the pedal. i don't have it resting on the pedal, because i have an electric drum set and the kickdrum and highhat pedal is cheap from what i've read and very sensitve and likes to double strike if you keep your foot resting on it.

User Info Menu

If your heal is not touching the floor when you play the bass, you're playing the "heel up" position. In that case, i would expect the burn to be in the front of your thigh as you play. If so, that's normal.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

It sounds like they might need to amputate it at the neck...j/k. Nah, a good buuuurn does a body good. Blessings.........

User Info Menu

stretch before and after and focus on your technique

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by middleman View Post
    It sounds like they might need to amputate it at the neck...j/k. Nah, a good buuuurn does a body good. Blessings.........
    Lol Good one Middleman!!

User Info Menu

this is good when the burn goes away play faster. it is just building mussle stength. makeing your leg hit harder and faster
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

Think of the burning or the pain as an initiation for your foot
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered