Thread: some help please

User Info Menu

Default some help please

Hey all, so I'm still very much a beginner to drumming, I have been taking lesson every other week for about 2 years now, maybe abit less and I was significantly improving it felt like.

Now it seems like I'm not getting better and I'm going backwards sometimes and I'm.not sure how to get over the bump sort of thing.

I have been trying to sort my left hand grip out because I can never get comfortable with it, my technique is far from good and I can't seem to be able to move my arms around and play harder no matter how much I try, it just causes me to mess up.

Anyway it's really getting me down right now and I was wondering if anyone had any tips or advice on the above points or just in general to help me out?

Many thanks in advance.

User Info Menu

Default Re: some help please

Quote Originally Posted by kryptondude View Post
    Hey all, so I'm still very much a beginner to drumming, I have been taking lesson every other week for about 2 years now, maybe abit less and I was significantly improving it felt like.

Now it seems like I'm not getting better and I'm going backwards sometimes and I'm.not sure how to get over the bump sort of thing.
    that happens when you'rre starting out, you improve a lot, and then you stop improving. It takes less time than most instruments to become "passable" at the drums, it takes a much longer time than most instruments to become good at the drums. Congratulations on getting this far, this is where the fun starts.

I have been trying to sort my left hand grip out because I can never get comfortable with it, my technique is far from good and I can't seem to be able to move my arms around and play harder no matter how much I try, it just causes me to mess up.
    Have you practiced a lot of rudiments? (straight rolls, para-diddles, triplet rolls, ext...) If not I would suggest you get right on those, the way I broke through the whole "moving around the kit" problem was to practice various rudiments and hit different drums each time. Also check the way your kit is set up, is it comfortable to play? Are your toms tilted at the right angle for your attack(If it's wrong it can also damage the heads)? Is the High-hat to far from the crash? all of these things when set up properly will drastically improve your ability to move around the kit, if you're kit is set up poorly I'd suggest setting it up again. start with you're bass drum and get it in a comfortable position, then set up your snare, high-hat, crash, toms(Low to high) and ride. That's how I set up my kit anyway, hope it helps!

Anyway it's really getting me down right now
    Don't worry about it we've all been there. You improve really fast and then you hit a wall don't give up and you'll get through it, the most important thing right now is that you keep practicing.
    Wear hearing protection.

User Info Menu

What kind of grip do you use?

User Info Menu

Sounds like you're getting into something new and it's causing problems(just as the first bunch of lessons did-remember?). So go back to the stuff you can do well and work your way up to the new stuff, slowly.
    Playing around the kit is not intuitive, will take some getting used to and often involves your balance as well as adjusting to how patterns learned on the snare sound on different drums.

Remember, unless you are ambidextrous, matched grip is not "normal" but easier than traditional. You have to get used to the stick feel and that takes time, too.

So, get back to your kit and have fun!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

What don't you like about your left hand grip?

You might create your own exercises.

User Info Menu

play around with your grip. I use french grip because I have better control with rim shots and I can get around the kit a lot faster.

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    What kind of grip do you use?
    I'm using American grip, the ine i was shown so just stuck with that

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 8beat View Post
    What don't you like about your left hand grip?

You might create your own exercises.
    I don't know how to explain it, it's sort of like I hold the stick to tight in my left hand and it's forced as opposed to feeling natural holding it, but I can't seem to loosen up on it and be able to play comfortable

User Info Menu

Thanks a bunch guys to everyone who has commented and left advice and opinions, appreciate it

User Info Menu

I don't know how to explain it, it's sort of like I hold the stick to tight in my left hand and it's forced as opposed to feeling natural holding it, but I can't seem to loosen up on it and be able to play comfortable
    I have the same problem. My left hand doesn't always work as well as I want it to. Playing exercises - singles, doubles, various rhythms - using only my left hand helps me.

User Info Menu

I like to practice without practicing when I'm working on grip and technique. I do everything I can to take my focus off of the grip so much and let it just be natural and comfortable to me. So I keep a practice pad by the TV or computer etc and when I'm just watching movies or bored I just do rudiments or single 8th note strokes for speed and endurance etc. This way I'm practicing and yet time goes by without knowing it and worrying so much.

User Info Menu

Focus on your left thumb, and how much pressure it applies to the stick. The wrist, elbow, and shoulder typically get tight and stiff whenever the thumb applies too much pressure to the stick while you're playing

User Info Menu

This is the same problem I have learning the matched grip. The left hand will never feel the same as the right since the right hand is really dominant in my case. I've spent 40 yrs. as a commercial illustrator and therefore my right hand has developed way more muscle and finger control than my left will ever have. My brain doesn't even allow me to focus on my left hand when holding the sticks: it's more concerned with how the stick feels in my right hand! My left just follows along. If I practice with only my left, I can focus on it (until I add the right and then it's back to right hand focus only.) So I've decided since the two hands will never match in gripping the sticks, that my left will just hold a stick in its own way to get the job done. This is why I use trad grip: the grip is not matched, my left hand does not have to "feel"a stick as my right hand does.

My advice would be to keep at it. Eventually you'll gain enough strength and feel in your left hand that you'll be able to loosen up a bit and don't worry about the stick feeling the same in your left hand as it does in your right.
    Last edited by slinglander; 02-13-2015 at 11:25 AM. Reason: added comments
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

My advice would be dont concentrate so hard on making sure both hands are in the exact same grip. Play around with rotating your wrist slightly find what works for your particular body mechanics

User Info Menu

One big plus for traditional, it seems way more comfortable to sit on the sofa with a practice pad playing trad than it does with matched. My left elbow naturally tucks in and it just seems like a relaxed way to play. Due to an old football injury, I was a lineman for the San Diego Chargers back in the day...well, not really, but when I was in high school and broke my left forearm for the 4th time and went to the hospital in my pads, a kid in the waiting room asked his mom "Is that a Charger". I was 6'4", 280 at the time. Made my day though! So the end result is I lost about 40% of my rotation range and when playing trad, I really can't turn my wrist to lift the stick very well. Bummer...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    One big plus for traditional, it seems way more comfortable to sit on the sofa with a practice pad playing trad than it does with matched. My left elbow naturally tucks in and it just seems like a relaxed way to play. Due to an old football injury, I was a lineman for the San Diego Chargers back in the day...well, not really, but when I was in high school and broke my left forearm for the 4th time and went to the hospital in my pads, a kid in the waiting room asked his mom "Is that a Charger". I was 6'4", 280 at the time. Made my day though! So the end result is I lost about 40% of my rotation range and when playing trad, I really can't turn my wrist to lift the stick very well. Bummer...
    Allow me to make you feel good again: "Hey! Are you a Charger?"

GeeDeeEmm