Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Learning traditional grip

User Info Menu

Default Learning traditional grip

Ever since I started playing the drums, I've wanted to learn traditional grip. I've tried and tried and can't get it to feel right. I've watched videos, read books, but still can't get a hang of it. I know there's a few people on here that use mainly traditional grip. Any tips for traditional grip?
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Default Re: Learning traditional grip

Why?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Why?
    My question as well. If one is working for you?

User Info Menu

I don't think about it. It's just a grip that I learned in school. I practice rudiments with various grips. Works for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    My question as well. If one is working for you?
    Just for curiosity. After seeing Rick Allen (with both arms) and Stewart Copeland using traditional grip. It's made me want to learn it.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I couldn't get it until I really focused on the fulcrum. Maybe that's just me though.
    Tama Swingstar 3 piece 1993 (refinished wine red)
    Ludwig Breakbeats (Azure Sparkle)
    1964 Ludwig Supra
    Old no-name Luan 12x8 tom/snare (refinished wine red)
    Mapex MPX 14"x5.5" snare (refinished in gloss black)
    Pearl Vision 14"x14" ft/snare (refinished wine red)
    Aquarian heads
    14" Sabian HHX Stage Hats
    15" Meinl Extra Dry Thin Hats
    18" Meinl Vintage Trash Crash
    18" Wuhan China
    18" Thin Zildjian Crash
    18" Thin Zildjian Crash with rivets
    19" Meinl Extra Dry Thin Crash
    22" Istanbul Mehmet Legend Dark Ride
    23" Matt Bettis Dry Ride

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lukesplat12 View Post
    I couldn't get it until I really focused on the fulcrum. Maybe that's just me though.
    I think that's my problem. I can't get any looseness in the grip. What I mean by that is if I try to do a roll with the left hand. The stick doesn't bounce on the head.

-Mike

User Info Menu

If you want to play Traditional grip, figure a year to get used to it, and another year to get comfortable with it.

User Info Menu

I do both. Trad for rudiments and brushes. Matched for back beat type stuff.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I play both ways depending on what it is that I am playing. Some songs I use traditional but most of the time match grip. Good to be able to use one or the other. Whatever works for you.

User Info Menu

JoJo Mayer's Secret Weapons DVD. If you haven't seen this one.
    “I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”

User Info Menu

If you want to play Traditional grip, figure a year to get used to it, and another year to get comfortable with it.
    If I may add... it's also relative to how much time your playing/practicing.

User Info Menu

If I may add... it's also relative to how much time your playing/practicing.

I agree with you although I stand by my timeline because it still will take around 2 years for 1 to be really comfortable with it.

Over the years, I have probably shown about 40 drummers how to get started with "Trad" grip. I know that 2 actually reached a point where they could play with it and not jump to match if the song got a little fast.

Most of the others didn't stick with it, mainly because, when it came right down to it, they didn't want to put the time into it.

I made a short video up for a guy on a different forum a few years ago, showing him how I do it ( I know I'm not technically correct with my Trad, but I know I'm a long ways from being wrong). I got a PM from him about 2 months later saying that he just couldn't get it.

There aren't that many things that you can master in 2 months. Maybe farting and knowing which way the TP goes but Trad isn't 1 of them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I play both ways depending on what it is that I am playing. Some songs I use traditional but most of the time match grip. Good to be able to use one or the other. Whatever works for you.
    I am the same. Some songs/music the traditional grip just feels better.

User Info Menu

I agree with you although I stand by my timeline because it still will take around 2 years for 1 to be really comfortable with it.
    It's all you Rick. I know nothing.

User Info Menu

It's all you Rick. I know nothing.

That's why you are a mod.

Seriously, do you play any Trad or are you a strictly a match grip player?

User Info Menu

Practice pads m8. Don't worry about playing around the kit, until you get comfortable with using your fingers for stick control. The stick pivots in between the thumb and the index finger, and I like the shaft to rest on the cuticle of my ring finger. Idk. Works for me
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by popsoldskins View Post
    jojo mayer's secret weapons dvd. If you haven't seen this one.

+1

Acoustic & Electronic:
    Pearl Prestige World Series WLX 1988
    Tama Swingstar 1983
    Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive (Birch) 2007
    Ludwig Acrolite Snare 1976
    Ludwig Supraphonic 6.5x14" 2021
    Pearl Sensitone Elite Aluminum 5.5" and 6.5" Snare
    Pearl COB Custom Deluxe [Gladstone] (75-76) Snare
    Love Drum Co. Hammered Steel 5.5" Snare
    Roland TD-1KV

Paiste
    Accent 8"

Paiste Signature:
    6", 10" Splash
    14" Dark Crisp Hi-Hats
    14" Sound Edge Hi-Hats
    16", 17", 18",19", 20" Full Crash
    22" Symphonic Med-Heavy (use as a Ride)

Paiste Formula 602:
    22" Formula 602 Modern Essentials Ride

Paiste 2oo2:
    22" Ride
    16" Crash
    8",10" Splash

Paiste 2oo2 Big Beat:
    15" Hi-Hats
    19", 20", 21" Big Beat Multifunctional

Paiste Sound Formula:
    16" Crash
    20" Full Ride (Frankenstein)

Paiste Twenty:
    16" China

Paiste Alpha (original Swiss made):
    12" Splash

Paiste PST7:
    Medium
    16", 18" Crash
    20" Ride
    14" Hi-Hats

Sabian:
    XS20 18" China
    AA 14" Fusion Hi-Hats

User Info Menu

I have friends that played snare drum in band. After 6 years of practicing an hour a day (and 4 of those years in marching band, they were playing about 4 hours a day during the fall), they seemed pretty comfortable with it.

My point? It takes time to unlearn and relearn something you've been doing for years. I was interested in learning traditional grip at one time (I just thought it looked cool), but then I realized that there were a million other things I wanted to learn and try before doing something that really wouldn't make any significant improvements in my playing.

User Info Menu

I grew up playing mostly traditional until I got into highschool and my teacher pretty much said it's not allowed.. (i know sounds crazy) he let me know unless I join the local fife n drums it's a dead grip that's only used in marching lines.

Since then I have only dabled with it here or there but I've become more accustom to match grip. But now and then I'll play tradition so I don't completely loose it.

You need to start with open hand no fingers and focus on the fulcrum with thumb

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I grew up playing mostly traditional until I got into highschool and my teacher pretty much said it's not allowed.. (i know sounds crazy) he let me know unless I join the local fife n drums it's a dead grip that's only used in marching lines.

Since then I have only dabled with it here or there but I've become more accustom to match grip. But now and then I'll play tradition so I don't completely loose it.

You need to start with open hand no fingers and focus on the fulcrum with thumb
    To quote my teachers in college :

Traditional grip is for parade drums, but if that is what you started with and have always used, then keep it...........otherwise go with matched grip.

Why ?
    Because in college we also had to learn tympani, marimba, congas, chimes, vibes, concert bass drum and 20 other assorted percussion instruments that would never allow you to use a traditional grip.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Parade drums lol nice

User Info Menu

That's why you are a mod.

Seriously, do you play any Trad or are you a strictly a match grip player?
    I learned traditional and switched to match after about 3 or 4 years (many moons ago). I can still play traditional but not as comfortably.

User Info Menu

Traditional grip just feels right to me. It's how I've played from day one. Don't know why. I guess I saw somebody doing it and decided that was the way to do it. In my case, traditional is totally comfortable, natural, and controllable. Note I said "to me." For others, it may never feel comfortable.

Matched grip is what I wrestle with. I've been playing for over fifty years, and it was only four of five years ago that I started mixing matched grip into the routine.

As for learning traditional now, after having learned matched grip, the key is the same as everything else - use it and practice it. You will eventually fall into your own method of grip, balance, and control.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

I learned traditional and switched to match after about 3 or 4 years (many moons ago). I can still play traditional but not as comfortably.

Exactly how many moons was that?