Thread: Resonant heads

User Info Menu

Default Resonant heads

Hi, I'm upgrading my kit to a Sonor Force 3007 and it will mostly be used for recording. These kits come stock with the cheaper UT Remo heads. I will definately upgrade the batters to pinstripes but I was wondering if there is any big audible difference with the stock UT Remo resonant heads compared to, let's say a Remo Ambassador for the resonants. This of course would save some money but I am looking for the best sound. Any help from anyone who had experience with this would be appreciated.

User Info Menu

Hi Jrock. Welcome to Drum Chat! Good to see your first post! I have no real problems with the UT heads as the resonant head. As a matter of fact, I like a more open sound, so I am not unhappy with the UT heads that came on my Gretsch Catalina maple kit. Since I do not have enough experience, though, I will suggest that you wait for input from some of our more experienced members on this one.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I can't speak for the UT, mine came with UX. In my humble opinion the UX heads are practically the same thing as an Ambassador. No complaints on the UX. I didn't think they were cheapo at all. In fact they fit on the shell better than aftermarket ones. I got sad when they wore out. For resonant, they were just as good soundwise as Remo Ambassadors, and that's with Ambassadors, Powerstroke 3's and Evans G2 Coated's as batters. I'm not a pro, so don't let what I say carry too much weight on this subject, hehe. I don't have the discerning ear for subtle differences in sound like you guys.

Welcome to Drum Chat!
    Last edited by Toad; 10-20-2007 at 02:48 AM.
    Just because it's old doesn't mean it's not just as good now as it was then.

User Info Menu

I have never changed my resonant heads in 5 years. I am also wondering if anyone here has changed them and did it make a big difference. My thinking is they don't get any ware but a little vibration, Whats to wareout? But I am open to everyones opinions on it! I have heard of drummers changing them evey year or so but I just can't see spending money for spending moneys sake. I have not heard any appreciable degredation in my drums sound by not changing them since I have owned them.

User Info Menu

the ut heads will be fine. you wont notice a huge dif. between them or any other thin clear 1 ply head.