Thread: Kick Drum Leg Endurance

User Info Menu

Default Kick Drum Leg Endurance

Hey Folks,

I'm new to this drumming thing and I'm wondering if some of you old hands can enlighten me a bit. Is it normal for you to feel some tightness in your leg muscles in your kick drum leg when you are first starting out?

I have Fibromyalgia and I'm wondering if it's bothering me or if what I'm experiencing is normal.

Thanks.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Kick Drum Leg Endurance

I'm pretty sure it's normal. Do you play heel up or heel down? If you play heel down, you will feel tightness in the back of your leg.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Practicepad View Post
    Hey Folks,

I'm new to this drumming thing and I'm wondering if some of you old hands can enlighten me a bit. Is it normal for you to feel some tightness in your leg muscles in your kick drum leg when you are first starting out?

I have Fibromyalgia and I'm wondering if it's bothering me or if what I'm experiencing is normal.

Thanks.

My shin ached like crazy from using the bass drum pedal for the first few months when I started drumming, my leg didn't ache - just my shin. It went stopped aching after a few months - I think I finally built up some semblance of muscle and the problem sorted itself out.

User Info Menu

might want to consider some running/ jogging

User Info Menu

Thanks for the replies!

User Info Menu

Consider your leg position. It is important that you are not sitting too high, or too low on our throne. It is also an issue of endurance. The more you play, the stronger your legs will become.

Also, if you are playing double bass, you will want to do the same types of exercises that you would do on a snare (alternating 1/8 notes, 16th's ect) trying to keep the stoke between each foot as even as possible.

User Info Menu

Yup, this is normal. As time moves on your technique will improve and you'll get used to it..

Better yet, have an experienced drummer drop by some time and watch you play, in particular, checking out your positioning/posture.

User Info Menu

Are there any rules of thumb for positioning oneself and/or setting the height of the throne?

User Info Menu

Not really... some people like to sit low, some sit really high. I personally sit at a height that makes my waistline perpendicular with the top of my snare. but then again, that depends on the height of the snare stand and what not.. so again the answer is no, theres no correct way.

I suppose one thing you should consider when positioning yourself is the angle your foot will comfortably sit on the kick pedal. if you play heel down you would probably want to sit lower so as not to stretch your ankle/calf muscle. heel up player might want to sit higher.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

The best thing I did for the muscles below my knees was to take up speed skipping (jump rope).

Give you a hell of a cardio workout as well.

Acoustic & Electronic:
    Pearl Prestige World Series WLX 1988
    Tama Swingstar 1983
    Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive (Birch) 2007
    Ludwig Acrolite Snare 1976
    Ludwig Supraphonic 6.5x14" 2021
    Pearl Sensitone Elite Aluminum 5.5" and 6.5" Snare
    Pearl COB Custom Deluxe [Gladstone] (75-76) Snare
    Love Drum Co. Hammered Steel 5.5" Snare
    Roland TD-1KV

Paiste
    Accent 8"

Paiste Signature:
    6", 10" Splash
    14" Dark Crisp Hi-Hats
    14" Sound Edge Hi-Hats
    16", 17", 18",19", 20" Full Crash
    22" Symphonic Med-Heavy (use as a Ride)

Paiste Formula 602:
    22" Formula 602 Modern Essentials Ride

Paiste 2oo2:
    22" Ride
    16" Crash
    8",10" Splash

Paiste 2oo2 Big Beat:
    15" Hi-Hats
    19", 20", 21" Big Beat Multifunctional

Paiste Sound Formula:
    16" Crash
    20" Full Ride (Frankenstein)

Paiste Twenty:
    16" China

Paiste Alpha (original Swiss made):
    12" Splash

Paiste PST7:
    Medium
    16", 18" Crash
    20" Ride
    14" Hi-Hats

Sabian:
    XS20 18" China
    AA 14" Fusion Hi-Hats

User Info Menu

Just like any muscle you need to strengthen it and build it. It also has to do with technique too

User Info Menu

I m not not a doctor, but I'll take a look!

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SunDog View Post
    I m not not a doctor, but I'll take a look!
    but did you sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Practicepad View Post
    Are there any rules of thumb for positioning oneself and/or setting the height of the throne?
    I've always been the most comfortable when my hips are a little higher than my knees when I play. Also, my hi hat pedal and kick pedal are equal distances from the drum throne. This has always felt the most natural way to play.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by porkpieguy View Post
    I've always been the most comfortable when my hips are a little higher than my knees when I play. Also, my hi hat pedal and kick pedal are equal distances from the drum throne. This has always felt the most natural way to play.
    I'll give it a try. Thanks.

User Info Menu

I like to sit as natural as possible. My legs basically make a V shape.. I then place my pedals to match my perfectly comfortable V position...

I don't know how the hell some people play with their legs all twisted and turned like a backwards L

I also sit a little bit on the higher side so my legs aren't flat but I sit up a little. I feel more in control of the drums