Thread: Mapex Black Panther Piccolo?

User Info Menu

Default Mapex Black Panther Piccolo?

Hi,

I'm looking at upgrading my snare, and I got an offer for a 13x3.5 Mapex Black Panther.

One problem, google can't seem to find me the black panther model...that being said, based on the vids ive seen of the normal mapex with that size, it seems ok.

Keep in mind that Czechs are a cheeky bunch, cheating is a national sport, so as much as I'd like to trust someone, unfortunately that's not in the cards.

Thanks for any help/advice!
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

Default Re: Mapex Black Panther Piccolo?

I don't know about a Black Panther model but there is a chromed steel, 8 lug Mapex MPX 1.2mm chromed steel shelled 13 x 3.5 piccolo snare drum (which retails for about a third of the price of the lowest priced Black Panther Model). You said its not unknown for people to be economical with the truth where you are. Perhaps the seller considers ALL Mapex snares to be Black Panther models as they are from the same manufacturer.

No harm in taking a look at it - but I would ask the seller lots of questions first and ask to be sent some email pics. If in doubt avoid.
    Last edited by crispycritters; 02-11-2015 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Missed something

User Info Menu

Black Panther is a line of drums, not a model. They are high-quality drums though. I have a couple.

User Info Menu

will ask for a pic in the end...as they said in communism, you always stole, if if you don't steal from the state, you steal from your family...oh well, the booze is cheap and the girls are nice at least!
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    Black Panther is a line of drums, not a model. They are high-quality drums though. I have a couple.

I realise that they are a full range of snare drums. Maybe I should have said the MPX snares are priced at about a third of the cost of the cheapest of the Black Panther models. Beautiful pair of snare drums there.

User Info Menu

Probably a discontinued model. I do remember Mapex making BP piccolos in the past.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

If you have a look at the Mapex 2006 catalogue there are a few BP 13x3.5 piccolo snares of various materials (Birdeye Maple, Brass, Steel, Cherry, & Walnut).
    ftp://ftp.mapexdrums.com/mapex/MAPEX...talog_2006.pdf
    Mapex Armory - Photon Blue
    Mapex VXB kit - Transparent Black
    Mapex & Pearl snares
    Paiste Alpha & RUDE cymbals
    Remo & Vater

User Info Menu

I would definitely ask for a picture first listening to your stories lol

User Info Menu

Thanks Dodeska, I got pics, and it's steal one, so next set of questions

1. The guy is asking $200 usd, keep in mind drum stuff over here is a bit more expensive (and there's no craigslist, which makes me hate all you in the states!) so if the price seems 20% more than it should be, thats fine (he said the original price was $400)

2. Any experience with snares of this type? The snare lives about 90minutes away by train, so don't want to waste time if it's not so good (ive looked at vids online, but as with the catalogs, i ask because people here are smarter than google!

thanks a lot, you guys rock!
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride

User Info Menu

Way overpriced for steel, IMO.

User Info Menu

Unfortunately the prices for drum stuff is also very expensive here in the UK. I have been watching eBay for a used 5.5 x 14 steel Black Panther but the bids have always gone over £125 (over $200) so I've had to bail.

If your countries pricing policy for drum gear is similar to the UK, unfortunately, $200 may be a realistic asking price - as long as its in pristine condition.

User Info Menu

The main question you need to ask yourself is this... A piccolo snare is super high pitch and crisp/sharp sounding. It is definitely a snare drum that has to fit in the right style of music. What kind of music are you mostly playing and would this sound work to you for what you are playing?

For instance, the band 311... when they first started hitting the radio I drooled all over his super high snap pitched snare drum. You knew instantly it was a piccolo snare and it fit their genre of music.

I think in overall terms the Mapex Black Panther anything is great. I own a Black Panther Sledge Hammer and just love it!! But I also picked it out of 20+ different snares at the store because I felt it had the best tone to match what I wanted.

User Info Menu

You might want to take a look at the Versatus, the new Mapex snare developed for Russ Miller.

http://mapexdrums.com/us/news/mapex-...ew-sounds-for/

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

^that is gorgeous! I wouldn't hesitate buying that hahaha