Thread: Sxsw

User Info Menu

Default Sxsw

My band was accepted into SXSW this year and we're super stoked, I'm curious if anyone has been a part of SXSW or any other large music festivals? How do we get the most out of this experience (we'll be traveling from Denver so how do we get people to show up?) and any other suggestions, personal stories would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Sxsw

Cant answer your question but I am only two hours drive away and have never been.
    Can you give details about when and where you are playing.

User Info Menu

Sometime between March 17th-21st...specific dates haven't been announced yet. I'll keep ya posted!

User Info Menu

Congrats man! Don't have any tips for you but pull out all the marketing stops. The usual stuff.

User Info Menu

not sure what SXSW is but as far as getting people just need to make a lot of social media postings and start early.

User Info Menu

Congrats............I've never been to sxsw.......but have read about it...........sounds like a great time.

Good luck

User Info Menu

Congrats man, that's awesome! I've been to SXSW once, my band was playing in the RedGorilla Music Festival which happens in Austin at the same time as SXSW but was never officially playing in SXSW.

Here's what I'll say about getting the most out of the experience. First, when the line-ups are announced, see if there are any bands that have a similar sound to yours that are playing in the days before your slot and hit those shows to meet those bands and market your band/upcoming show. Anyone that actually works for SXSW would be a good networking contact, if you can make friends with someone on the promotion team that's a golden opportunity. Also, check CMJ or the SXSW subreddit to see if there's any after parties or get-togethers for people in college radio that are happening at SXSW, and if so try to get there and shower everyone there with CD's. If you don't have give-away CD's, set up a free download link or a QR code to a free song posted on SoundCloud that you can pass out on business cards. I would say don't waste your money on stickers or other merch to give away, because all of the attendees get flooded with free picks, stickers, posters, and all sorts of stuff and if you're paying to produce your own merch you could bankrupt yourself and not see any results. You're better off creating a way for people to easily listen to your band and getting that to people that will most likely become fans.

Your first time at SXSW, it's very hard to get people to come to your show. Your main goal should be getting your music out there, securing some networking contacts and trying to secure a spot to come back next year.
    "Guys, if you wanted Superman for this gig, you should have hired Superman. Instead, you got Batman." - Donny Gruendler

"You always think you have more problems than you actually have." - Dave Elitch

Instagram: @bringerofthud
    Twitter:@davetilove