Thread: Thoughts/Suggestions on playing a kit accompanying acoustic guitar

User Info Menu

Default Thoughts/Suggestions on playing a kit accompanying acoustic guitar

Hello, my friend and I are about to begin practicing for playing shows, he is very talented in playing guitar and vocals. I have been playing the drums for a while and we are looking forward to playing together.

It will just be me and him, him on acoustic and singing, myself on percussion. I would very much prefer to use a real kit, albeit I am looking to invest in a smaller one (14x16 kick, 5x14 snare). As well as hi-hats and a ride. This would be my preferred setup. I have many questions as I want this to sound perfect. Is this too much for simply playing with an acoustic? I will be using brushes and definitely lighten up on the playing, but I don't really want to play something like the bongos or a cajon for added rhythm. While I do enjoy percussion and rhythm, playing a kick/snare/hi-hat is much more who I am and what I am used to.

Will this arrangement sound okay without a bass guitarist? I know I will have to play very tight and simple. Just wondering if anyone else has played alongside solely an acoustic guitar and if you have any tips/tricks.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Thoughts/Suggestions on playing a kit accompanying acoustic guitar

I do it a lot. It is very possible. It's all about the dynamics. Let the bass drum ring open a bit to fill in the space left by no bass guitar. It sounds like you're on the right track.

all the best.

User Info Menu

Perfect thank you, we haven't tried the arrangement yet so I haven't been able to figure out and play with the sound. I will keep that in mind as I was thinking of actually having a more dampened, punchy bass drum in order to have a tight sound, rather than a resonant kick that resonates without bass guitar. Will have to mess around and figure it out!

User Info Menu

I do it a lot. It is very possible. It's all about the dynamics. Let the bass drum ring open a bit to fill in the space left by no bass guitar. It sounds like you're on the right track.

all the best.

User Info Menu

That's how I got my start, open mic night. I used kick, snare, hi hat and one crash. You will not need to play all that softly, as the guitar and vocals will be running through a PA. Watch Pearl Jam unplugged. They played acoustic but the set is still very high energy. Just make sure you get enough practice before you play, it can take a few times before you become adjusted to the dynamics and the slimmed down kit.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

You can make anything work if you want. My only suggestions would be to keep an open mind. Don't be afraid to experiment and try different things. If you can, record some practices so you can listen to yourselves. Sometimes, what sounds good to you at the time doesn't sound so good when you hear it from the audience perspective....and vice-versa.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

If it were me I might want an 18", My advice as far as the sound goes is that since it is so volume and you are gonna be right up close, is get good drums, heads, cymbals, and pay a lot of attention to tuning. There is a lot about drum and cymbal sounds that can be covered up by a loud, eq'd PA. I have played a cajon with an acoustic and totally understand your kit preference. +1 on the dynamics
    Tama Swingstar 3 piece 1993 (refinished wine red)
    Ludwig Breakbeats (Azure Sparkle)
    1964 Ludwig Supra
    Old no-name Luan 12x8 tom/snare (refinished wine red)
    Mapex MPX 14"x5.5" snare (refinished in gloss black)
    Pearl Vision 14"x14" ft/snare (refinished wine red)
    Aquarian heads
    14" Sabian HHX Stage Hats
    15" Meinl Extra Dry Thin Hats
    18" Meinl Vintage Trash Crash
    18" Wuhan China
    18" Thin Zildjian Crash
    18" Thin Zildjian Crash with rivets
    19" Meinl Extra Dry Thin Crash
    22" Istanbul Mehmet Legend Dark Ride
    23" Matt Bettis Dry Ride

User Info Menu

Here's a video of my friend who plays drums in The Contenders (it's just acoustic guitar and drums).

Just remember, smaller drums doesn't necessarily mean quieter sound. In my experience, an 8" tom is going to have much more cut than a 16" tom. Heck man, I'd just buy a standard 4-piece kit, 22x18" kick, 12" rack, 16" floor, and a 14" snare (as long as it's not a piccolo). As far as cymbals, I buy some some fast crashes, maybe like a 14" and/or 15" and a light-ish ride.

I'd be more likely to play with some hot rods or something like them. I'm sure it can be a lot of fun!

User Info Menu

It's not the sizes of drums but the tones you have to try for. Acoustic guitars don't have a lot of sustain and don't produce much bass, so you have to find something that compliments that without sticking out like a sore thumb. Experimentation is needed.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I played a Guitar/violin/drum show a couple of months ago

The lead singer/guitarist had a pedal, which added a Bass tone, automatically.

To my half-deaf ears, it sounded pretty good................Filled out the sound.

User Info Menu

I play with a friend, just acoustic guitar and me. I play my Meridian Maples with Coated Emperors, 20" kick, 5.5x14 snare, and sometime 14" FT with hats. Hot rods can work, but even light playing with 7a's can work as well.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

My mate and I do a post punk set like that. My other mates have a band which is him on guitar and a drummer. He does switch to piano some times though. My "post hardcore" band doesn't have a bassist. Your idea will work and sound fine
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

I know a drummer that plays with country bands and uses a minimal kit. He sounds pretty good. Plus there is less to move.

User Info Menu

I would suggest get a wood block, hot rod sticks ya know the wood dowel sticks. and use a lot of cross sticking on the snare rim. you had already mentioned brushes.

I was jamming with a guy the other day at a friends house and they were playing electrics and they said I was too loud..I use hot rods for a while but then I was back it again hehe.. I like to wear my head phones while they don't wear nothing kind of funny..

User Info Menu

a goof friend of mine plays a nice ****tail kit with a very small arrangement. It fits great for what the do. Little coffee shops and small venue gigs. I love it.

User Info Menu

Play with lighter sticks will make a difference too, like 7As.

Best advice: play to the music and play to the venue. Those are my goals when backing an acoustic guitarist and at open mic nights.
    That's My Rumor & I'm Sticking To It