Thread: Drum set mics

User Info Menu

Default Drum set mics

Hello fellow skin slayers. In the market for a basic mic setup for my kit and was hoping for a little guidance or suggestions from the community here.

My need will be for live situations mostly, small 4 piece kit as follows
    - 22x22 kick
    -12x8 rack
    -16x14 floor
    14x5.5 stainless snare
    - 14 in timbale

My main questions are shld I buy a pack or kick / snare independently? Also any personal experience w/ particular products is awesome.

Thanks in advance for the time and info!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum set mics

for just starting off I would just suggest a nice starter kit. It'll get you going and get you learning on placing mics and then the hardest part, adjusting levels.

What's your budget? That will also help determine everything. You also need to find or buy mic holders for your kit too.

User Info Menu

The best I've ever played are the nice Audix drum pack. However, there's no better mic on a snare than a shure 57. I don't know how road worthy the Audix mics are, but I know they record well. From my experience, the most durable and good-sounding set up would be an akg d112 on the kick, and shure 57's on all the toms. I have no opinions on overheads. I'm sure others will chime in with better answers with more up-to-date equipment suggestions.

User Info Menu

I like all the different "higher" end sets. None of those $129.99 sets. AKG mics are excellent but the Tom and snare mics are fragile. I'm currently running Sennheiser e604 on toms and snare and AKG D112 in the kick, with an AKG C1000 overhead. This is a slick setup. Great for recording and road rugged. These are not cheap, but it's an investment.
    Last edited by SunDog; 02-16-2015 at 11:21 AM.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

yeah definitely keep a better set in mind. I have Audix and Shures. I like them both. But are higher end. I think both were around $800+

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Honcho View Post
    Hello fellow skin slayers. In the market for a basic mic setup for my kit and was hoping for a little guidance or suggestions from the community here.

My need will be for live situations mostly, small 4 piece kit as follows
    - 22x22 kick
    -12x8 rack
    -16x14 floor
    14x5.5 stainless snare
    - 14 in timbale

My main questions are shld I buy a pack or kick / snare independently? Also any personal experience w/ particular products is awesome.

Thanks in advance for the time and info!!
    You cannot go wrong with the Audix DP7 mic pack. It has the amazing D6 kick mic, drum mics, and overheads. Audix rules the roost in drum mics. By the way, this recommendation comes from a dedicated Shure fan. I personally use SM57s on snare and toms and Audix D6 on kick.

GeeDeeEmm